1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphone Amp for HD650s

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by sdavlaws, May 12, 2018.

1. sdavlaws

Gangster

I have been using my AV receiver (currently a denon 2300) as an amp for my HD 650s for a few years I am now wondering if they would have more to offer with a true headphone amp.

So i suppose I have two questions for you all: -
    • Would a dedicated amp provided improved sound above my AV receiver?
    • What would be the cost of entry be to see an improvement?
    Thanks.

2. Rroff

Man of Honour

HD600 series scales well with the amplifier used - look for something that has a decent amount of voltage output/voltage swing as they don't need much current but do need reasonably good capabilities to "drive" voltage.

A lot of people like tube or hybrid tube amps to drive those headphones - personally I ended up going the DIY route as I never found anything off the shelf I was 100% happy with for them as most amplifiers are designed to drive a wide range of headphones and not the 600 series specifically.

3. sdavlaws

Gangster

Having never really looked at headphone amps I didn't know DIY is even an option.
    I would prefer an off the shelf option even if it is not "perfect" i would be willing to pay a little more for a tube amp if that was the better option as they also look interesting when the tubes are visible.

4. TALON1973

Mobster

Max budget?

5. sdavlaws

Gangster

I would be willing to pay £2-250 as I would expect it to last a while.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
  6. Hedge

Capodecina

Schiit is probably worth a look.

Or go portable and get an oppo ha2se or something

7. sdavlaws

Gangster

I have looked a the modi/magni based on reading other threads it's just getting hold of one that might be the problem.

8. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

Arcam rHead could be a good option, especially as it can be bought for £169 at the moment.

9. rids57

Soldato

will a DAC be needed too?

As an alternative to Schiit, Hifiheadphones.co.uk now carry the JDS Labs linup including the OL DAC and The Element Amp & DAC

10. sdavlaws

Gangster

I will be needing a DAC, having never looked beyond AV receivers I didn't know they where general separate things that element AMP/DAC looks very interesting.

11. TALON1973

Mobster

I'd stretch the budget if you want a dac as well. Go chord mojo.

Although if you want seperates I just happen to have a graham slee srg11 headphone amp with psu1 power supply and an arcam irdac v1 available. About to go on sale

£450 for both. The headphone amp has an upgrade path available as well.

12. MorleySA

Hitman

Maybe have a look at the Schiit Jotunheim, I have the HD6xx's and was tempted to get the Jotunheim, check out this review:

13. T.Kay

Gangster

Hi guys, do you have a rough idea what the best value dac would be, for 6XX. Have the E10K currently.

14. nicknack35

Wise Guy

I have a Musical Fidelity V90 dac which is a great Dac used to be £199 but since gone up to £230

15. Hedge

Capodecina

Last edited: May 27, 2018