Headphone DAC/AMP for dad.

Soldato
Will be buying a new TV for my dad come November, figured I'd upgrade his audio as well. Currently he has an £8 pair of headphones plugged into a 5 meter extension cable into the 3.5mm socket on the TV. It does not work well.

I am struggling to decide on the best option.

He is hard of hearing, which is why he uses headphones. He watches Sky HD only, he doesn't have a DVD player etc. The priority is clarity at higher sound levels.

The option I am thinking (if they even work?) is:

• Either optical or rca from the new TV into an amp/dac under the TV, then running a headphone extension cable in the pre existing trunking which comes out next to where he sits. Then he can plug the headphone in and not have the cable trailing on the floor.
Daft question time, using optical out I have to go into a DAC yes? do I need a DAC if I use the RCA cables? Or can I skip DAC and go straight to an AMP?

Anyone have any suggestions? Budget around £100 - 150

If I don't need a DAC, I assume something like a Schiit Magni3 would do the job and would there be any notable slightly cheaper options?

I know nothing about audio stuff sadly.

Cheers.

Soldato
Are you planning to spend up to £150 in total, or is that just for the headphones?

I don't usually recommend wireless headphones, but given your fathers usage it might be better to just get him a nice set of blu-tooth headphones. I've heard good things about the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (wireless), and I really liked the wired versions when I used them. They should be around £150-200 depending on whether you go for the on or over ear versions. Something like that should sync directly up to the TV, and you're looking at around 20 hours listening time between charges, so no worries of them running out half way through a movie or something.

Soldato
OP
Are you planning to spend up to £150 in total, or is that just for the headphones?

I don't usually recommend wireless headphones, but given your fathers usage it might be better to just get him a nice set of blu-tooth headphones. I've heard good things about the Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 (wireless), and I really liked the wired versions when I used them. They should be around £150-200 depending on whether you go for the on or over ear versions. Something like that should sync directly up to the TV, and you're looking at around 20 hours listening time between charges, so no worries of them running out half way through a movie or something.

Apologies, just for the amp, I'd buy him a new set of Sennheiser 599s probably. Basically just want to spend enough so he is comfortable, has sufficient volume, and clarity.

We have tried bluetooth before, but they just weren't loud enough. The TVs we have and would buy don't have bluetooth in them anyhow sadly. Cheers for the suggestion, we were looking at the 2.4ghz versions of the sennheiser stuff. But figured wired would get us more comfort and more volume.

Soldato
That's potentially true as far as the volume goes, but I'd recommend perhaps checking into it a little further. If you've a Richer Sounds near to you, they usually allow you to audition headphones in store, so it could be worth popping along. Even if the TV itself doesn't have blu-tooth, you can buy fairly cheap USB dongles that will plug into the back of pretty much any modern TV.

Failing that, Sennheiser over ear headphones are in generally the most comfortable I've ever used, from the HD598, HD650, HD700, and HD800's, which is definitely a very important factor for long periods of use.

If you do go for a wired option, something like the FiiO E10K should work fine and offer plenty of volume for around £50-60.

Soldato
OP
That's potentially true as far as the volume goes, but I'd recommend perhaps checking into it a little further. If you've a Richer Sounds near to you, they usually allow you to audition headphones in store, so it could be worth popping along. Even if the TV itself doesn't have blu-tooth, you can buy fairly cheap USB dongles that will plug into the back of pretty much any modern TV.

Failing that, Sennheiser over ear headphones are in generally probably the most comfortable I've ever used, from the HD598, HD650, HD700, and HD800's, which is definitely a very important factor for long periods of use.

If you do go for a wired option, something like the FiiO E10K should work fine and offer plenty of volume for around £50-60.

Cheers! Yeah I had bought a bluetooth dongle previously, which is what we used with a pair of bluetooth sennheisers, just wasn't loud enough for my dad, so I bought them off him to use on the train :D

I've had a pair of HD580s a long time ago, and the comfort is why I'm probably going to go with Sennheiser again. How would I connect the E10K to the TV? it seems it's a USB dac/amp? with no optical or rca input afaik, unless I'm missing something.

Soldato
I don't think the E10K will work with a TV. It's USB audio in only and I don't think TVs output audio via USB. That's normally for other uses.

SMSL SD793II would be a better choice, as it has optical input.

Soldato
I don't think the E10K will work with a TV. It's USB audio in only and I don't think TVs output audio via USB. That's normally for other uses.

Yeah, you're right.

The SMSL would be a very solid option tbh.

Cheers! Yeah I had bought a bluetooth dongle previously, which is what we used with a pair of bluetooth sennheisers, just wasn't loud enough for my dad, so I bought them off him to use on the train :D

I've had a pair of HD580s a long time ago, and the comfort is why I'm probably going to go with Sennheiser again. How would I connect the E10K to the TV? it seems it's a USB dac/amp? with no optical or rca input afaik, unless I'm missing something.

Take Marsman's advice on that SMSL unit, I think they go for around the same as the E10K.

Soldato
OP

Cheers, I had seen these. For the price, might be worth a look! Will there be any difference in how they sound for example? At higher volume levels for films, tv, sports is there anything to be said for the cheaper ones providing worse performance?

Soldato
Cheers, I had seen these. For the price, might be worth a look! Will there be any difference in how they sound for example? At higher volume levels for films, tv, sports is there anything to be said for the cheaper ones providing worse performance?

It's a decent inexpensive DAC/amp. Whether the amp will power the headphones loud enough, is really impossible to say, because it entirely depends on the listener. A few forum users have a SD793II and it does a good job, but then they aren't people who are hard of hearing.

For what it costs (£41 currently) it's certainly worth a punt. If it provides enough volume, there is no point spending any more. Great advantage of buying from the jungle river site, is you can return it easily, if it's not quite what was expected.

One thing I should point out, is the lack of remote volume control because it connects via optical. The TV's volume control only applies to it's internal speakers and any 3.5mm analogue output it may have. If you need to be able to control the volume with the TV's remote, then you'd need an amp with analogue input; otherwise, you'd just use the volume control on the SD793II itself.

I don't think there is much else that has analogue input for similar money. FiiO K5 does, but that is about £95. That does have a pretty powerful headphone amp though, so there wouldn't be any concern when it comes to volume.

Only problem when it comes to the audio analogue output on a TV, is that it can be prone to interference noise; I know my TV is. Some TV's will likely fare better though when it comes to that. For any TV that does have interference from the analogue audio out, using optical gets round the problem; but then you get no remote volume control, unless the amp itself has remote volume control.

With my set up, I have a DAC connected to the TV, which then goes into my stereo amplifier. I can just plug headphones into the stereo amplifier if I need to use them later at night.

Soldato
The Aune T1 has analogue input, and it's a solid piece of kit, but last I checked the prices had skyrocketed due to it becoming flavour of the month on some of the audiophile/headphone sites. I would highly recommend it personally mind you, but definitely not for more than around the £100-120 mark. Some of the Audio-GD stuff should also fit the bill, but it's a similar story to the T1 in terms of prices going through the roof.

It could be worth checking the second hand market for a receiver, a lot if not most of them come with headphone amp's built into them and you could connect via multiple options, HDMI included depending on the model.

Soldato
relation who is hard of hearing, and uses hearing aids, has a system where tv sound is transmitted to those via an inductive system/Tcoil;

even if he doesn't have aids will still want some ability to control sound equalization, so that would be my priority in any solution, taking the optical out would avoid the usually poor line/rca output tv's provide (typically over emphasised low frequencies) , but components like schiit don't have equalizers;
I'd be looking for something like a BT headphone with an equalizer app.
(With hearing aids, they deal with equalization )

Man of Honour
@VaderDSL, don't take this the wrong way...

Your dad is currently using a £10 pair of headphones and an extension lead. Has he complained about the sound quality or usability of the current set-up? IOW, are you changing this for him, or for you?

Also, consider the practicalities first. Any headphone amp needs space, a power socket, and (most importantly) a remote control for the volume. If his current setup is driven from the headphone out of the TV then he has volume control via the TV handset which makes things nice and convenient. Is the switch to an external DAC/am (even one with remote) going to mean juggling remotes?

Bear in mind that hearing loss can be as unique to an individual as their preference of what they like and dislike to eat. What you perceive as an improvement in quality may not register in the same way for him. Maybe take him along tho listen to some 'phones to find out what works best for him?

Loop systems have been mentioned. I install them. Two observations from experience: Domestic induction loop systems aren't as loud as the sound of 'phones over a hearing aid. Second, to get the loudest sound from them requires having the hearing aid on 100% T as opposed to the mixed setting which is 50% live sound / 50% induction loop. As a result, listening on T cuts out the hearing aid's mic which then means that conversations in the room can't be heard until the mode is switched back to normal. It can be a bit isolating for the aid wearer, and there's nothing to show others in the room that he's listening on T.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for all the advice, helped loads!

My dad is stubborn, as parents can often be when it comes to technology. I managed to convince him to try my pair of Sennheiser PC360, he tried them without his hearing aid and with it. Previously he had only tried cheap on ear headphones which is where he developed the idea that hearing aid + headphones don't work.

He really liked the fit, he loved the fact they were comfortable and he could keep his hearing aid in. He was happy with the sound quality and volume so I've ordered him a pair of Sennheiser 599s for their lightness and comfort. Hopefully, all this will be put to bed once he gets used to them :D

The next thing to sort for him however is he is using my 8? year old 32" Samsung TV and recently it has started dropping out signal on the HDMI ports :D

So it'll be a new process of trying to convince him to change, I'll wait till Black Friday and try to suggest he get a new 43" TV.

Caporegime
Cheers for all the advice, helped loads!

My dad is stubborn, as parents can often be when it comes to technology. I managed to convince him to try my pair of Sennheiser PC360, he tried them without his hearing aid and with it. Previously he had only tried cheap on ear headphones which is where he developed the idea that hearing aid + headphones don't work.

He really liked the fit, he loved the fact they were comfortable and he could keep his hearing aid in. He was happy with the sound quality and volume so I've ordered him a pair of Sennheiser 599s for their lightness and comfort. Hopefully, all this will be put to bed once he gets used to them :D

The next thing to sort for him however is he is using my 8? year old 32" Samsung TV and recently it has started dropping out signal on the HDMI ports :D

So it'll be a new process of trying to convince him to change, I'll wait till Black Friday and try to suggest he get a new 43" TV.

what's wrong with wireless headphones? i'd hate to have a wire when i'm trying to relax.

Soldato
Some of the new hearing aids now have bluetooth (eg. resound quattro), so was investigating that for aforementioned relation , you can have android or iphones speak directly too them ... but I don't yet know if a bluetooth codec in an a/v device will communicate with aids - afaik this would be the rolls royce solution.

also fiio e17 used to have spdif input + tone controls - 2nd hand ?

Soldato
OP
Some of the new hearing aids now have bluetooth (eg. resound quattro), so was investigating that for aforementioned relation , you can have android or iphones speak directly too them ... but I don't yet know if a bluetooth codec in an a/v device will communicate with aids - afaik this would be the rolls royce solution.

also fiio e17 used to have spdif input + tone controls - 2nd hand ?

I’m not sure what type has has, but good idea! I’ll have him discuss with the audiologist? next time he goes. I’ve ordered him a new Tv now as well, the old one no longer switches back to speakers when the headphones are unplugged anyhow, I guess after 8 years it’s done its job!

Soldato
I have the SMSL SD793II which replaced some cheap POS that I used before it finaly went split personality on me. The old one would just randomly cut out for varied amounts of time and Ill be honest the sound quality was crap as well compared with a slight hiss depending on how loud I turned it up.

Im not sure if its already been mentioned but there is no volume control on optical output so the volume control on that amp is vital. Personaly I use wireless headphones with a volume control which for me is also vital so that I dont have to get up to change the volume on the amp. I did have to get an adaptor to plug my powered headphones in as there was a noticable feedback hum? before that.

Ive just tried my old wired phones and at about half way the sound is more than loud enough for me. My hearing clarity is not that great so Im never going to be an audiophile but I can tell the difference between crap and okay and okay is good enough for me and the SMSL SD793II is perfect for my needs but Im not really that fussy. Although watching a film in the dark at full volume is good though.

Back
Top Bottom