Headphones vs Home surround

OcUK Staff
I tried these Sennheisers vs my headphones they are ok. I use Stax electrostatics.

My none headphone setup is superior for 2 channel by miles..... More detail, more dynamics, like the live event etc etc blah blah .... and ofcourse in movies it is rocking with detail, dynamics, slam yet very natural sound.... My room has been professionally acoustically treated and to give a very flat response and is also sound proofed.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If you can return them, there's a Schiit Magni 3 and a modi 2 Uber for sale in the MM for £180. Great little setup.

Why would I return them? The d30 and atom are superior in everything but power?

I’ve spent hours on audiophile forums studying this stuff. Schiits reputation has really been a bit bloated as per the reviews and measurements of their amps.

The atom on the one hand is probably the best amp under 300.

The d30 is probably the best dac in its class if you want the inputs it offers.

Soldato
OP
most DAC amps have an optical. Why not connect tv/av to that and use headphones. As for theatre sound its subjective. Decent pair of headphones and it won't matter if you can hear every little whoosh and ping behind or above you.

If I connect my amp through optical to the dac, I think my avr will still do some form of processing. Also my pc seems to treat it as an avr rather than headphones and the sound always seems a bit off. :(

Soldato
Headphones compared to good surround system is not a comparison at all!!! Headphones cant do the job!!!
Of course strong feel of bass is impossible, but with accurate binaural sound simulation/HRTF for head shape, good headphones give very good directionality and even feel of distances.
Remember that human has only two ears and brain decodes sound source locations from differences between signals received by ears.

I tried these Sennheisers vs my headphones they are ok. I use Stax electrostatics.

My none headphone setup is superior for 2 channel by miles..... More detail, more dynamics, like the live event etc etc blah blah .... and ofcourse in movies it is rocking with detail, dynamics, slam yet very natural sound.... My room has been professionally acoustically treated and to give a very flat response and is also sound proofed.
Stereo recordings are simply crap for headphones.
Try this with good headphones, without any processing or signal distorting equipment in the path:

Back
Top Bottom