Headsets for Big heads?

Associate
I’ve been stuck on headsets for years - I never trust buying expensive ones online because all the cheap ones I’ve bought over the years never seem to fit, and I never wanted the hassle of sending them back. I’ve considered just getting a mic for my desk and wearing earbuds - or do you guys have any good budget recommendations? Not looking to spend a fortune since I’m always skeptical that they won’t fit.

Soldato
With the money spent on cheapos over the years, you would have probably gotten ones made by actual audio maker.
Those really doesn't cost that much, especially if separate mic isn't out of question.
In fact compared to Nvidia's prices good headphones are almost semi-free.

Do you have quite or noisy environment?
That decides if also open headphones are good or you need closed ear cup headphones.

And what's the use/what kind sound you would prefer?
Focus of details like foot steps at the expense of shy/weak bass, or some above neutral bass fun?

Soldato
I had this problem. Tried a bunch of different headsets. Then wound up buying a 3.5mm cable with inline boom mic for my Bose QC35s. Hands down the best decision I've made. They sound way better than all of the <£100 headsets I'd been trying, and the cable only cost me £25. They're much comfier. And the mic is actually not bad.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
With the money spent on cheapos over the years, you would have probably gotten ones made by actual audio maker.
Those really doesn't cost that much, especially if separate mic isn't out of question.
In fact compared to Nvidia's prices good headphones are almost semi-free.

Do you have quite or noisy environment?
That decides if also open headphones are good or you need closed ear cup headphones.

And what's the use/what kind sound you would prefer?
Focus of details like foot steps at the expense of shy/weak bass, or some above neutral bass fun?
Probably just gaming really, footsteps and such would be ideal. The ones I’ve bought were like turtle beaches and trittons over the years since those specific ones did fit me (for awhile until the cheap plastic always breaks haha) I guess I’ll start off with just a separate mic and earbuds for now since most options seem expensive for right now (I’m moving house soon) so wanna save a little on top of my pc purchase

Soldato
Probably just gaming really, footsteps and such would be ideal. The ones I’ve bought were like turtle beaches and trittons over the years since those specific ones did fit me (for awhile until the cheap plastic always breaks haha) I guess I’ll start off with just a separate mic and earbuds for now since most options seem expensive for right now (I’m moving house soon) so wanna save a little on top of my pc purchase
Typical gaming headphones are often either:

Bat crazy bass heavy and everything else is accident and hence only capable to "head in bucket under water" level accuracy when it comes to real immersion in gaming.
Didn't even know there could be that bad sound until getting chance to test Turd Beach Z60 rated well by "reviewers"...
https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/6060/18/13-80-100-euro-headsets-review-beter-luisteren-conclusie
Yeah, those turds are among the least bad in that...

Or with closed designs harder balancing have really no bass.

That Z60 made 30€ Superlux HD-330 sound like top level headphone in comparison.
(didn't even compare to my audio maker headphones)
Kingston HyperXes made by honestly trying Takstar instead of some random China junk factory are about only gaming headphones I would trust to have some level of consistency.
Though they're all closed design.

Open design is really something not found from gaming stuff, if you don't need isolation of external sounds.

Soldato
I'm not sure what to get either I've got both a big head and wear glasses.

Heard lots of headsets are uncomfortable for people who wear glasses. :(
Glasses can already change sound with closed designs tuned to work with closed space between driver and head.
Open headphones and especially ones with velour pads don't care much about glasses sound wise.

Beyerdynamic has very soft pads in DT990, so that would likely be one of the better ones with glasses.
Head band length adjustment range is definitely there for very big heads.

Associate
Glasses can already change sound with closed designs tuned to work with closed space between driver and head.
Open headphones and especially ones with velour pads don't care much about glasses sound wise.

Beyerdynamic has very soft pads in DT990, so that would likely be one of the better ones with glasses.
Head band length adjustment range is definitely there for very big heads.

They look promising what mic would go well with those?

Associate
OP
I ended up going with the Sennheiser GSP 300. Fits my big head perfectly, mic seems to work fine when in parties & sounds are good. Very flexible too, so should last me a year or so with heavy use, then I can just simply purchase another! :) Thanks for the suggestions though guys! I checked out the majority of them.

Associate
OP
I tried on loads in the end and got a pair of Logitech G332 they are more than fine for what I'm using them for very comfortable with big head and glasses haha.
Ah I didn't see your comment, I also have a big head and wear glasses - the GSP 300s are fine for me and don't feel like my head is being squished like a watermelon with 500 elastic bands! :) I'll look at those ones if/when my new ones break though!

Back
Top Bottom