Heat Pumps: anyone have one/thought about it?

Soldato
Daikin is a leading if not THE leading brand in the heat pump space. They have literally been making them for decades.

Bosh and Vailant on the other hand are are new entrants who are known for making gas boilers….

Don’t get me wrong, from what I’ve seen of the Vailant product is very good but just saying and all that…

Last edited:
Had a follow up call with Octopus in regards the heat pump.
I mentioned pipework and that I hadnt measured it but that I was unsure on 10mm or 8mm. He said 10mm is fine.

If its 8mm its unlikely to be ok, but they will do a fixed price repipe. A 4 bed is £3700.
So total to replace would be more like £7.5 (including grant) if the full repipe was required.
Its obviously highly invasive though and I have tiled and hardwood throughout so I wouldn't be doing that at this stage!

Soldato
Had a follow up call with Octopus in regards the heat pump.
I mentioned pipework and that I hadnt measured it but that I was unsure on 10mm or 8mm. He said 10mm is fine.

If its 8mm its unlikely to be ok, but they will do a fixed price repipe. A 4 bed is £3700.
So total to replace would be more like £7.5 (including grant) if the full repipe was required.
Its obviously highly invasive though and I have tiled and hardwood throughout so I wouldn't be doing that at this stage!
Interesting; I also had a call but was left for voicemail. Central heating in my gaff is currently copper piped which appears to be 12mm (definitely 10mm). I don't suppose they indicated either way if copper was still viable for the installation? I dread at the thought of how invasive it would be to repipe across the entire house (and loft).

Interesting; I also had a call but was left for voicemail. Central heating in my gaff is currently copper piped which appears to be 12mm (definitely 10mm). I don't suppose they indicated either way if copper was still viable for the installation? I dread at the thought of how invasive it would be to repipe across the entire house (and loft).

I don't think its an issue if its copper. He didn't give any indication it would be, just that pipe needed to be 10mm or above. I assume he was talking external, he didn't specifically say.
Just doing a visual comparison of a aaa battery (listed as 10.5mm) vs my piping it looks like its 10mm anyway. Will confirm at the weekend when I will dig out my vernier to check for sure.

Hes going to call me back in a week or so before my fixed price quote expires.

I need to have the what if conversation indoors. I haven't mentioned it yet.
The biggest hurdle will be the external box as shes into "traditional" plus the fact we have a relatively new range that is gas.
So I would need to add £1.5k or so to replace that as well I am sure.
I could leave it but I am not sure the SC for gas really makes sense for just hob usage. Would need to play with some numbers.

Associate
Bet it will take u 10 years to break even though.. Maybe longer.

Solar panels last I checked ain't cheap to install and is quite expensive.

Materials for it is expensive and the labour plus scaffolding is also not cheap.

Did you already have insulated walls? Roof and ground floor insulation?

Did you also already have suitable radiator sizes and also a place to store the hot water cylinder tank?
For the solar panels, we should break even in 8-10 years. Life of the panels is 25 but inverter will be less.

Solar cost us £7k iirc back in 2018
Scaffolding was already up because we were working on the house.
During the work on the house we decided to insulate the walls, roof, and the floor.
We also added UFH.
Who knows how long it will take us to break even on that. But the house required a complete refurb anyway, so a lot of the cost was already necessary.
No radiators as we've installed UFH throughout.
And yes, we have a utility room for the water tanks but they do take quite a bit more space than a combi boiler.

Associate
I don't think its an issue if its copper. He didn't give any indication it would be, just that pipe needed to be 10mm or above. I assume he was talking external, he didn't specifically say.
Just doing a visual comparison of a aaa battery (listed as 10.5mm) vs my piping it looks like its 10mm anyway. Will confirm at the weekend when I will dig out my vernier to check for sure.

Hes going to call me back in a week or so before my fixed price quote expires.

I need to have the what if conversation indoors. I haven't mentioned it yet.
The biggest hurdle will be the external box as shes into "traditional" plus the fact we have a relatively new range that is gas.
So I would need to add £1.5k or so to replace that as well I am sure.
I could leave it but I am not sure the SC for gas really makes sense for just hob usage. Would need to play with some numbers.
Get an induction range cooker. Much better than gas and will save you faffing about with gas tanks.

Get an induction range cooker. Much better than gas and will save you faffing about with gas tanks.

Thats certainly an option, it is however some added cost. Vs today

Its not off the cards right, but equally its not fully on the cards either.

Hurdle 1 is er indoors for now. I am pretty convinced shes going to be resist this.

I am not fully sold on the idea yet, but am cautiously inquisitive.

I do have a bill on the horizon, a new gas boiler sooner or later a good majority of the cost of the heat pump would be offset by that not happening.

I really want to know more about the efficiency side first. I currently benefit a lot on the Go tariff and that would be reduced on the super duper intelligent cosy one.

Soldato
Wasn't expecting this but plans to upgrade the BUS scheme to £7.5K grant instead of £5K, would make this a lot more appealing.

And Sunak did announce that grants for people under the boiler upgrade scheme would be increased by 50%, going up to £7,500.

Associate
Wasn't expecting this but plans to upgrade the BUS scheme to £7.5K grant instead of £5K, would make this a lot more appealing.

I was just about to post that. Great news for you and anyone else looking to switch to ASHP.

Associate
That's an opinion, one I strongly disagree with.
Fair enough. Maybe depends on the cooker.
I've used gas range cookers a lot and always liked them. But since getting an induction range cooker in 2018 I now much prefer it. Quicker to heat up and even more responsive than gas, and so much easier to clean! Also no spark thingys to stop working and no risk of leaking gas.

Soldato
That increase from 5k > 7.5k is going ti screw up all the individuals, including me, who only recently got an Octopus quote! I'm pretty sure they will not accept a further 2.5k reduction in the provided quote without a means or method for them to skim :)

Soldato
Can only go off the Octopus quote as its all I have
  • Your heat pump comes with a 5 year warranty and a 2 year warranty for other products installed (such as hot water cylinder and radiators). As well as a 5 year Workmanship and Labour Warranty.
That's a bit rubbish isn't it. 5 years is that all they reckon it'll last before failure on average.
Makes it even worse Vs boilers with 10 year warranties.

Soldato
That increase from 5k > 7.5k is going ti screw up all the individuals, including me, who only recently got an Octopus quote! I'm pretty sure they will not accept a further 2.5k reduction in the provided quote without a means or method for them to skim :)
Why? They were not giving the £5k discount, the government was. The price should reduce £2.5k.

Soldato

Money comes from gov so I doubt it will matter, Octopus would get dragged through the coals if they reject the fact that gov increment is another £2.5K (not sure when this is live btw).

Let us know what your answer is though!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom