Heat Pumps: anyone have one/thought about it?

It's been like this since day one, so I didn't think too much of it - was only commissioned in mid October! Will call back the supplier/installer.
I’ve recorded a short video of mine for comparison. 16kW ASHP running at about 5kW output.
Note the smoother sound rather than the slightly clunky sound.

Last edited:
The fan is barely spinning and what ever is making the noise is spinning much faster. I'd put money on it is either the compressor or the pump rather than the fan but yes, its broken....

My Octopus heat pump survey is on Wednesday, I'll report back....

Last edited:
I’ve recorded a short video of mine for comparison. 16kW ASHP running at about 5kW output.
Note the smoother sound rather than the slightly clunky sound.

I have the same model LG as you that's 6yrs old and it sounds the same ( I say, it's like a washing machine on fast spin ). Just been repaired after the mainboard failed, it looks like one of the relays fails due to constant switching.

I can't see myself moving to a ASHP anytime soon and certainly not in my current house (would need to find space for a water tank, replace all our designer radiators, re-pipe the property as we have microbore).
Some heating engineers (Heat Geeks I think) are saying you maybe ok to use micro bore and your designer rads it all depends on what you are after in regards of temperature. We only had a new double radiator and a vertical designer rad installed when we changed to a heat pump all the rest were on a gas boiler(15mm pipe though not microbore), this is all in a 1930's extended semi with bits of insulation on walls and floors. Since the heat pump has been fixed it has been on 24/7 at a room temperature of 18°c.

My column rads struggle to get my house up to temp with 50 degree flow rates tbh. I doubt they'd do anything at all if the flow was as low as 18 degrees. I never realised how poor they were in throwing the heat, I am tempted if I don't do something drastic to rip them out and put a regular rad in. The 600mm double panel in the current bathroom feels 100x more effective than the 2.2m vertical column rad and the 1.4m normal one combined.

I'd be happy if my heat pump actually was too noisy - mine seems to be stuck in low noise mode!

Which given the current low outside temperatures I'd happily take more noise for more flow temperature - it barely copes. However I've had out both the people who service my ASHP, and the manufacturers (Vaillant) and both are adamant there is no fault. (Despite the fact that it was a lot noisy when installed, and I needed to use Low noise mode!)

That being said, I'm less than impressed by the installers so it really wouldn't surprise me if it were too powerful for the house makeup.

This was/is a bone of contention with the installer......

Their quotation stated;

The renewable energy market has seen a lot of changes in recent months with a lot
of companies moving in and out of the business. Here are a few points that we feel
puts us above the rest:

Fully MCS registered and members of REAL.

This was queried, given their below response, in hindsight, I should have pulled the plug on the deal completely - but is grounds to also get them in hot water and potentially get remediated heat pump sorted FOC if there is an issue in over speccing (we've not paid up front, we still owe 40% of the bill)

The MCS Scheme doesn’t exist here in Guernsey im afraid and as such they have no data on the Island for the calculator, however Guernsey Electricity would provide a separate meter for your Home Heat pump currently charged at £0.1307 when you compare the efficiencies of a heat pump to this price you will have a Unit of Heating costing around £0.037.

This could be fun, I posted my noisy heat pump video to YouTube, then commented on another video posted by Dore Woodman who are known for installing these pumps asking for their advice - below is what they've said.

41SYIW2.jpeg

Last edited:
My column rads struggle to get my house up to temp with 50 degree flow rates tbh. I doubt they'd do anything at all if the flow was as low as 18 degrees. I never realised how poor they were in throwing the heat, I am tempted if I don't do something drastic to rip them out and put a regular rad in. The 600mm double panel in the current bathroom feels 100x more effective than the 2.2m vertical column rad and the 1.4m normal one combined.
Room temperature is 18° not flow temperature, that's about 50° I think. Just checked one of the vertical rads and it's at 36.5°c surface temperature. The 2 designer rads are to be honest to small for the rooms but they perform ok.

Last edited:
Room temperature is 18° not flow temperature, that's about 50° I think. Just checked one of the vertical rads and it's at 36.5°c surface temperature.
Oh gotcha. In which case I can probably just get by - my heating has been on for ages today and this room is just at 18:
qoXiIjP.jpg

Oh gotcha. In which case I can probably just get by - my heating has been on for ages today and this room is just at 18:
qoXiIjP.jpg
My heating is on 18°c night and day no fall back. You let it cool overnight then have to struggle to get it back to where you were, try not dropping the overnight temp by so much. You can achieve the same temperature by having a lower flow temperature but heating constantly.

My heating is on 18°c night and day no fall back. You let it cool overnight then have to struggle to get it back to where you were, try not dropping the overnight temp by so much. You can achieve the same temperature by having a lower flow temperature but heating constantly.
I might give that a go! I certainly noticed a MASSIVE difference going from 70 degree flow temp to 50 in terms of gas usage.

I might give that a go! I certainly noticed a MASSIVE difference going from 70 degree flow temp to 50 in terms of gas usage.
I'm all electric so it can get costly the lower the outside temperature, using the heay pump on weather dependent setting so it will increase flow temp as the outside temp drops thus keeping the house at about 18°.

If you are already able to run at a 50C flow temp all year round, your existing radiator system is pretty much heat pump ready.

Last edited:
If you are already able to run at a 50C flow temp all year round, your existing radiator system is pretty much heat pump ready.
Too soon to tell atm, but potentially. These few days will be the first time I've had the 100mm PIR + new heating system + cold weather.

Edit: 4k according to Optopus quick quote. I'm out thanks :)

Last edited:
Yes time will tell with all those insulation improvements you’ve made. As I say, it’s very much an ‘if’ at the moment.

It’s been a relatively mild winter so far IMO, it was 14C where I live the other day…

Back
Top Bottom