Heat Pumps: anyone have one/thought about it?

Soldato
I submitted a ASHP quote via the Octopus link and have been quoted £5244. I'm slightly agog how they are able to calculate that without any house visit or review of the current boiler setup and location. Interesting.

Big house? Mine was a bit less than what MKW had but he put down a larger house footprint than mine.

Soldato
Big house? Mine was a bit less than what MKW had but he put down a larger house footprint than mine.
Not overly but I did guestimate square metre measurement based on similar house sold on the same street. Perhaps I've over estimated; wonder how I can get a accurate measurement outside of fudging it using a tape measure.

Soldato
Not overly but I did guestimate square metre measurement based on similar house sold on the same street. Perhaps I've over estimated; wonder how I can get a accurate measurement outside of fudging it using a tape measure.

You can search your epc cert on the gov website, that also has a sqm value of the property.

Soldato
just catching up there - this moved quickly the last few days!

A combi loses mains hot water pressure, are you sure about that?
Yes, absolutely yes, particularly when sized appropriately for the actual heating load of the house. That is the number one selling point of installing a un-vented cylinder is mains pressure hot water.

Can you get a 50kw combi that will deliver 25l/minute? Sure, but it will be grossly oversized for the property which may have a heating requirement as low as 6kw peak and hardly ever get into its condensing mode, constantly cycle and and needlessly chunder loads of gas.
Hmm; trying to ascertain what is meant by vented radiator loop. My combi provides central heating with hot water (on demand), situated in loft which vents to roof.
Vented = not a sealed loop
un-vented = sealed loop

My radiator loop is vented, there is a little header tank in the loft that deals with the expansion and contraction of the water in the system as it heats/cools. It also has a little ball **** which automatically tops up the system as needed.

An unvented loop has a pressure vessel to handle the expansion and you need to fill it manually with a tap somewhere on the system to keep it pressurised.

Do you require radiators to be replaced?
Yes, all but two radiators need replacing, of the 10 or so that need doing 4 are already double panel and will need to grow in size. The others are single panel which need swapping for doubles.
Will the installers perform all additional pipework, which may or may not include pulling apart (and then fixing) floor-board / boxing / trunking work?
It should include putting things back to the way they were but probably not re-decorating.

Will the install also cap the gas mains supply?
I doubt it, you'll have to apply to your supplier to get it done, whoever that is. Octopus are currently doing it for free.

Soldato
I think the heat loss of my house will only require a 6kw heat pump which is pretty small in heat pump world.

My existing boiler is only 14kw. It has has a big heat store to buffer out demand but its pretty small in the grand scheme of things.

What sort of manufacturer warranties are coming with these heat pumps?

Can only go off the Octopus quote as its all I have
  • Your heat pump comes with a 5 year warranty and a 2 year warranty for other products installed (such as hot water cylinder and radiators). As well as a 5 year Workmanship and Labour Warranty.

Soldato
Agree with that. I had a boiler installed and was being quoted for 25kw system by several plumbers. I then got a really highly regarded heating engineer who specified a 19kw system and said even that was oversized. It has turned out to be perfect for our needs and has not left us wanting.

These systems are designed to tick over 24/7 at low modulation, even more so if your home is well insulated. Most plumbers err heavily on the side of caution when sizing.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are benefits to having smaller pipework, primarily in minimising heat loss through the pipes. The UK is plagued by overspecced heating systems.
They could lag them to basically eliminate it but asking a house builder to do a good job is not the done thing…

@SpeedFreak, that’s a polite was of putting it. What’s closer to reality is they don’t fully understand the ‘math’ behind it all and why oversizing is actually bad.

Last edited:
Soldato
Agree with that. I had a boiler installed and was being quoted for 25kw system by several plumbers. I then got a really highly regarded heating engineer who specified a 19kw system and said even that was oversized. It has turned out to be perfect for our needs and has not left us wanting.

These systems are designed to tick over 24/7 at low modulation, even more so if your home is well insulated. Most plumbers err heavily on the side of caution when sizing.
It depends how large your property is and how many bedrooms and bathrooms you have

Back
Top Bottom