Heathrow third runway question

Soldato
[TW]Fox;28255267 said:
Birmingham doesn't have the breadth of service availability that Heathrow does. I'd love to fly from Birmingham, I live nowhere near London and it's quicker and easier to get to Birmingham but every time I end up using Heathrow as Birmingham just doesn't serve many important destinations and doesn't have anything like the service frequency to some of the places it does serve. It doesn't even properly serve the USA - a handful of fairly rubbish narrowbody flights a day, big wow.

Which is fine, because it's not meant to be our main hub airport.

I thought you lived near Portsmouth or something!
Is Birmingham a lot easier for you to get to?

Soldato
I always thought Fox was Stoke way. There is a BWM garage down there by Trentham with Fox on the side I always thought that was his putting 2 and 2 together to get 13!

Man of Honour
I'm all for Heathrow 3rd runway.

Not so much for Boris Island. Mainly because of what is around where it was going to be. The wreck of HMS Richard Montgomery containing 1400 tons of unexploded WWII bombs and other munitions. And the other side... Natural Gas storage facility.

Much potential for a major KaBlooey!

Soldato
Natural Gas storage facility.

That will be due for replacement before the airport could be made active. It is about time the wreck was sorted out too. The structure is deteriorating over time and they will need to resolve the issue before it collapses.

Soldato
Having regularly driven the M25 from J16 to J1 I think the 3rd runway idea is madness. The section of motorway near Heathrow is truly awful at peak times, the chaos of moving the motorway and junction will be immense for years.

We should build a national hub in Northamptonshire, between the M1 and M40. You have the West Coast Line from Euston to Brum to the East and the Chiltern Line via Oxford to Brum to the West and it could be tied into HS2. High speed rail could serve London, motorway links would be excellent and there are few major towns. You could support a 4 runway hub and if memory serves there is already a major rail frieght hub in the region.

I think Boris isalnd would be good to I just can't see it happening.

Man of Honour
Having regularly driven the M25 from J16 to J1 I think the 3rd runway idea is madness. The section of motorway near Heathrow is truly awful at peak times, the chaos of moving the motorway and junction will be immense for years.

We should build a national hub in Northamptonshire, between the M1 and M40. You have the West Coast Line from Euston to Brum to the East and the Chiltern Line via Oxford to Brum to the West and it could be tied into HS2. High speed rail could serve London, motorway links would be excellent and there are few major towns. You could support a 4 runway hub and if memory serves there is already a major rail frieght hub in the region.

The problem with this is that the complaints from residents are more legitimate - it's one thing to move within earshot of Heathrow Airport and then get annoyed when there is loads of plane noise, however if you move to an area many miles from the nearest airport and then somebody builds a 4 runway superhub next door you've got a rather more legitimate case to be very, very annoyed.

Soldato
Did I hear correctly earlier that the new runway at Heathrow would likely cost around £76 Billion to create?
I initially thought I'd misheard, did I? Seems millions become billions easily nowadays.

Soldato
I guess that constructing an island in the Thames estuary wasn't Chinese enough for 'em, so they decided that stealing people's homes and destroying entire communities was the way to go.

Soldato
I live under the Heathrow flight path, have always lived here. Can hear and see planes now.

Thinking hat on I do think Heathrow was the right choice -

- It already has the tube, Heathrow express and soon crossrail.
- Its location and road access (M25, M4, M3) is excellent
- The people here are already used to the noise :p

I read some comments and really think people don't understand just how hard it is to build new high speed rail - not just an airport - image how many homes displaced and the noise from trains over 30-60 miles.

Soldato
I guess that constructing an island in the Thames estuary wasn't Chinese enough for 'em, so they decided that stealing people's homes and destroying entire communities was the way to go.

Yes, why spend tens of billions on an island when a few hundred people can be moved (all of them profitably and most of them happily!! I know several in the catchment) when we can just slap down another runway and meet the need?

Soldato
Long term i thing the best bet would be to construct a new airport. Why the government haven't done anything about HMS Richard Montgomery i dont know. Ok, it will be a very dangerous operation but as others have said, things must be deteriorating inside that vessel now.

A new airport must the best possible long term solution. How much can they keep expanding Heathrow?

Back
Top Bottom