Heatsink Spec

Associate
Hi All,

Looking to upgrade my stock heatsink soon (hopefully Santa has me on the nice list!!) and was looking for some advise/suggestions.

My current setup is:

FX4100
Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3
HD 7850 2GB
XFX 650W
Agility 3 90GB SSD
WD Green Caviar 750GB

Looking at something like the following:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-039-AR&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-035-CM&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=

Budget is probably around £40 as I don't really want to spend too much over that.

Associate
OP
Thanks Helios I'll look in to them tonight!

May also be worth adding that I have a fan spare, sorry I forgot to mention this.

Soldato
Thanks Helios I'll look in to them tonight!

May also be worth adding that I have a fan spare, sorry I forgot to mention this.

Saying "Spare fan" is like saying "can of beer". Some are good, some are not, and some are real carp! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry, was in a foul mood when I posted that... and need a good pint ;)

Can't hurt to try. Usually additional fans give more improvement at low rpm... like when system is at idle or low load. At max they usually increase cooling by 1-2c.

Associate
OP
No problem, almost the weeked!, well I have tomorrow off so it is the weekend for me at 4 ;)

I'm liking the look and reviews of the CM 612s. So tonight i'll measure my case to make sure it'll fit and if it does put it on the old Christmas. If I get it i'll add the Xigmatek on so it has two fans.

Might be a stupid question but the 'push & pull' setup which i've seen people speaking about would that be a fan either side of the heatsink one pulling the air through one side and the other pushing it out the heatsink the other side?

Soldato
Yeah, it's a fan either side of cooler... On a twin core cooler it can be interpreted to be just the middle fan as it is pulling through one pushing through other but most of us just call that a middle fan. ;)

Have you looked at the new Silverstone Heligon SST-HE01?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-005-SV&groupid=701&catid=2330&subcat=2351

Take some measurement of RAM height, center of CPU to RAM, back and GPU and CPU to side cover. Than look at some of the other coolers out there. Get as big and bad as will fit. Most coolers; the bigger they are the more/quieter it will cool.

Associate
OP
Ah cool, that makes more sense :)

It does look nice and the design where one rad is thinner than the other side is a good idea!. May be out of my price range though :(

I'll take some measurements tonight if I get some time and do a little more research then post what i've found :D

Soldato
The HE01 uses a 38mm thick fan between towers. Most other coolers only have room for 25-28mm thick fans. It's not the quietest cooler. Just one of many at or near the front of the pack. ;)

Associate
OP
Another question, Do I need to by TIM as well or do all HSF come with it already?. If not then i'll check out Stulid's thread unless someone can recommend a popular one?

Soldato
Should come with. Read the details of the cooler you decide to get. It should say.

I've been using supplied Phanteks TIM. MX-4 is good and have used it a lot. Also Chill Factor 2 is good.

Associate
OP
Haha awesome thanks again for the help doyll!

Ive found the Thermalright HR-02 Macho in clearence for £21 so I think just to be safe I'll do a little research and add some TIM in case it doesnt come with any!.

Also going to double check them measurements you said about in a previous post to make sure its all good (measure twice, buy once theory haha)

Soldato
HR-02 should be no problem on your board. You will need a long philips screwdriver or nut driver/socket set for the mount screw that is under cooler. There is a little spanner for it but all it's good for is frustrating you. ;)

Found myself a Silver Arrow SB-E to play with. Might have to get a HR-02 they are so cheap.

Associate
OP
how is it performing for you (If you've got it already?)I do like the look of the Silver Arrow's they look beastly! But at £21 I think i'll take a HR-02 and give it a test ;)

Was looking to add another fan on it when I get it and they say its a TY-140 but I can only find TY-141 is the 140 still made or was it replaced but the 141? might take a look on that trusty biding site.

Soldato
Have the old Silver Arrow (actually Cogage Arrow) but haven't got the SA SB-E yet. Honestly the HR-02 is an extremely good quiet cooler.... and for £21 you can't go wrong.

You won't need another fan. It's designed to be used passive or with fan so 2nd fan won't make much difference. If you do what 2nd fan the TY-141 is very similar to TY-140. Different bearing and fan blade but both perform the same. Slightly different sound because of different bearing but still almost silent at low rpm. Try it with one fan andif you really need another I'm sure we can find one somewhere. The new TY-147 is black housing and white fan TY-140 ;) TY-141 has a B/W brother too, TY-145.. and of course there is the TY-143 with TY-140 fan design, TY-141 bearings, more powerful 600-2500rpm motor with red housing and orange fan.

Associate
OP
Cool, I think you've persuaded me to get it this evening after work :)

Ah I see, I guess that makes sense as to why they didn't put a second on....I just thought Thermalright were being cheap haha think I'll give a second one a miss as 1/2*C is not really important to me IMO.

Back
Top Bottom