Helldivers 2

Man of Honour
It hasn't been enforced yet, you can still play the game without a PSN account.

Hopefully it will stay that way, Arrowhead themselves hate it and they are not taking it laying down.

Maybe, but they aren’t innocent in this and it’ll be interesting to see how much leverage they have on Sony.

Caporegime
Maybe, but they aren’t innocent in this and it’ll be interesting to see how much leverage they have on Sony.

As their community manager said, review bombing the game will give them ammo in their negotiations.

Absolutely crazy that a developer would want their game review bombed because it's the only way they can get some leverage over the publisher when they do something stupid!

But here we are.... i'm changing my review later, i'll change it back to positive once and if this is resolved.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
As their community manager said, review bombing the game will give them ammo in their negotiations.

Absolutely crazy that a developer would want their game review bombed because it's the only way they can get some leverage over the publisher when they do something stupid!

But here we are.... i'm changing my review later, i'll change it back to positive once and if this is resolved.

I just hope that IF Sony do reverse the decision that the reviews all get changed.

It’d be madness for Sony to follow through on this, they’ll kill all future PC sales, a market they clearly want to move into.

Associate
Most reviews won't be changed back I expect, if it was reverted. New reviews would all be back to positive though. Doesn't help the overall score though.

I don't care about creating another account that will then be ignored. I'm annoyed at having to though after months. And I'm unwilling to go through the age verification with password/face.

Soldato
Most reviews won't be changed back I expect, if it was reverted. New reviews would all be back to positive though. Doesn't help the overall score though.

I don't care about creating another account that will then be ignored. I'm annoyed at having to though after months. And I'm unwilling to go through the age verification with password/face.
I don't think it would matter if they do the correct thing and either issue refunds upon request or allow people to skip the PSN nonsense permanently.

This scandal itself has been huge publicity, they can play off that and declare it a victory etc. It could go down in gaming circles as one of the biggest wins for a developer and with a vast majority of copies of games sold in the first 2-3 months usually I don't think it'll hurt them in the pocket.

Soldato
I would suggest all of those aren't really "genuine", as all are complaining about Sony rather than the game itself.

I don't have a PSN, and to get one you now need to send a copy of both an official government ID, a photo of your face, your first born child and note from Santa just to play a bloody game. I don't have the game but was genuinely looking at playing with a few guys from work next month, but I'm too old and curmudgeony to bother setting up all this now, plus allowing "hacked every few months" Sony to keep copies of my official ID's just doesn't sit right with me.

Whilst I have a Ubisoft/Steam etc, neither of those require anywhere near the same level of ID requirements - in fact I don't think any website I'm logged into online, other than official Government Websites (HMRC etc), requires so much ID setup.

This is feeling like an "angry crowd with flaming pitch-forks" moment. I know many will be fine with using/creating a PSN account but the sort of person of who is playing this game don't seem to be the sort to take this lightly and I think it's going to get vastly worse for Sony.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I don't have a PSN, and to get one you now need to send a copy of both an official government ID AND a photo of your face just to play a bloody game. I don't have the game but was genuinely looking at playing with a few guys from work next month, but I'm too old and curmudgeony to bother setting up all this now, plus allowing "hacked every few months" Sony to keep copies of my official ID's just doesn't sit right with me.

I am definitely not going to submit that kind of data for gaming purposes, especially not to Sony who have been the source of my data being leaked in the past. And you can never hold too much to the whole "it is only processed then discarded" claims as that has been found to be untrue before.

Soldato
I cant even see how I link the game to PSN account! Cant see anything in game menus/options about PSN
If you reset your graphics settings by renaming the config file you get the prompt when you first load the game up to link the PSN account.

Location is C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Roaming\Arrowhead\Helldivers2 and the file is called user_settings.config

I only know this as had to do this earlier and got the prompt but was able to skip it without an issue.
I don't have a PSN, and to get one you now need to send a copy of both an official government ID, a photo of your face, your first born child and note from Santa just to play a bloody game. I don't have the game but was genuinely looking at playing with a few guys from work next month, but I'm too old and curmudgeony to bother setting up all this now, plus allowing "hacked every few months" Sony to keep copies of my official ID's just doesn't sit right with me.
Is this really the case? I do not have an PSN account either but do not want to be sending over my documents to create an account!

Soldato
I don't have a PSN, and to get one you now need to send a copy of both an official government ID, a photo of your face, your first born child and note from Santa just to play a bloody game.

No, you dont. I created one on Friday and you just need to provide a mobile number for age verification and they do point out explicitly that it is deleted afterwards unless you choose to keep it on your account by ticking a box.
That's it. Everything else just make up.

Soldato
No it isn't. If you can't use a Mobile No then the ID and/or face pic is the only path you can take. I would suggest that you read the PSN FAQ!

Indeed.
But I meant all the other info required (name, DoB) you can just make up.

Last edited:
Caporegime
No, you dont. I created one on Friday and you just need to provide a mobile number for age verification and they do point out explicitly that it is deleted afterwards unless you choose to keep it on your account by ticking a box.
That's it. Everything else just make up.

Is it tho? is it actually deleted? Because PSN have a history of getting hacked with peoples phone number and credit card details ending up on the black market.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Why do Sony want details from you that are that personal, that linked to your identity? "For your safety" How gas lighting is that when them having those details makes you much less safe,, a photo of you face? How Orwellian is that ____ ?

No, ____ off.....

Caporegime
You know what... its them having such personal details of you on their servers that makes them such a big target for hackers, its like the ________ jackpot for them.

Its why i don't have a PS5 to begin with...

Last edited:
Caporegime

A Helldivers 2 community manager just yesterday assured that people in countries without PSN coverage could continue playing the game and wouldn't be blocked. But now, Helldivers 2 has been pulled from more than 170 territories lacking PSN coverage, according to listings from Steam Database. While some global players won't be able to join the fight and buy the game, it's unclear if existing Helldivers 2 owners will be able to continue playing if they live in unsupported regions.

How's that going to work?

Ignoring its own policies, Steam stewards Valve have also reportedly been issuing refunds to several long-time Helldivers that have logged into Super Earth space for more than 100 hours. Steam policy normally doesn't allow for refunds if a player exceeds two hours in-game, but since the PSN requirement came months after launch, Valve (rightly) seems to be making an exception.

A Helldivers 2 developer recently reiterated that the PSN change came from Sony, not the talented team at Arrowhead Studios, so issuing refunds is probably the most effective route to getting a message across, as opposed to shouting toxicity at devs. Sony also announced the mandate on a Friday, and thus, has yet to officially respond to the backlash that has escalated pretty wildly in just a few days.

So Valve have been issuing refunds to people with 100+ hours in the game because Sony lied and then ninja edited the ToS after the fact to try and cover it up....

Last edited:
Caporegime
What a mess.....
At first i wasn't at all bothered...
Can you create a sony account with complete nonsense data in it?
Mind you im in Sweden and everything here is so zipped tight on data i wonder if i could use fake info (just on principle)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom