Helldivers 2

Associate
This whole situation has just devolved into a PR dumpster fire, AH and Sony should be embarrassed and deserve all the bad press sent their way.

I kind of wonder how much Steam have to cop some sort of blame in this situation as well.

Soldato
None of this reflects well on anyone involved, although the order of blame magnitude is clearly Sony > Arrowhead > Steam > Consumers.

Sony should never have pulled this ugly stunt in the first place. And they should never have lied about it being optional on their website and then stealth edited it later. Disgusting.

Arrowhead cannot claim they were merely caught in the crossfire. They signed a contract with Sony, they knew what was agreed and they failed to have the proper PSN integration functioning for launch. They kicked the can down the road, grabbed the money from everyone knowing that many would get locked out later. That's shabby.

Steam should never have let the game be sold to customers in countries that cannot register for a PSN account. No ifs and buts. Shouldn't have happened.

Consumers should have read the small print and listened to their gut feelings rather than being swept up in the launch / review hype (I include myself). Lesson learned.

Soldato
None of this reflects well on anyone involved, although the order of blame magnitude is clearly Sony > Arrowhead > Steam > Consumers.

Sony should never have pulled this ugly stunt in the first place. And they should never have lied about it being optional on their website and then stealth edited it later. Disgusting.

Arrowhead cannot claim they were merely caught in the crossfire. They signed a contract with Sony, they knew what was agreed and they failed to have the proper PSN integration functioning for launch. They kicked the can down the road, grabbed the money from everyone knowing that many would get locked out later. That's shabby.

Steam should never have let the game be sold to customers in countries that cannot register for a PSN account. No ifs and buts. Shouldn't have happened.

Consumers should have read the small print and listened to their gut feelings rather than being swept up in the launch / review hype (I include myself). Lesson learned.

According to Playstaion's own ToS PSN was optional for all PC games, which they later stealth changed a couple of days ago (don't all changes in ToS have to be relayed to customers with notice?).

Why does Steam have any blame?

Soldato
Dear Steam,

I was really enjoying helldivers 2 as it was refreshing to play something that wasn't early access, doa, a complete mess, pay to win, full of no wallers, awaiting 3000 performance and balance patches, using unplayable servers, vs aim assist crossplay, life consuming, an indie title I've played before in a new skin etc etc.

Unfortunately, I now understand that I have to decide on if I want all of my personal data to be stolen in future in order to continue to play when I've already paid in full.

Please can I have a refund so I can purchase another game that's early access, doa, a complete mess, pay to win, full of no wallers, awaiting 3000 performance and balance patches, using unplayable servers, vs aim assist crossplay, life consuming, an indie title I've played before in a new skin etc etc.

Yours truly,

An enjoyer of games that are early access, doa, a complete mess, pay to win, full of no wallers, awaiting 3000 performance and balance patches, using unplayable servers, vs aim assist crossplay, life consuming, an indie title I've played before in a new skin etc etc.

Soldato
I can see why it's a huge issue for those who can't get PSN in their own country.

But for me? I have no issue. It was already linked because I had a PSN account.

Those who have a PSN account of course won't have any issues or problems with linking it. But it is a genuine issue if you don't have a PSN account and don't want to get one, for all the many reasons people have outlined. It isn't just a "2 minute thing" throwing a disposable email at Sony as some are claiming, there's a lot of data you have to be prepared to give and entrust to Sony. This is an issue for some people, especially if they have no need for a PSN account other than to play HD2.

Why does Steam have any blame?

The Steam store listing says in a yellow alert box "Requires 3rd-Party Account: PlayStation Network (Supports Linking to Steam Account)" and apparently has always said this (although I don't recall seeing it when making a purchase soon after launch). If so, they would know there's lots of countries that cannot get a PSN account and so shouldn't be eligible to purchase. They've now delisted the game for these countries. They should have done this at launch, rather than enabling a cash grab.

Soldato
People love putting the big numbers up but it includes countries like Antarctica and places that have a population of 3 people and a goat,
If you live in a country that cant make a PSN account (and arent a penguin) then its kinda on steam really for selling you something you couldn't use, but you know you cant say a bad thing about steam.

I worked in countries which didn't have Xbox Live and MS weren't selling me anything while they thought I was there.

Its a PR nightmare, but TBH its the latest internet dogpile and being blown out of proportion. I'm sure other Sony games have required a PSN account for MP features on steam.

Its still a great game and I personally dont care about linking my PSN account, but if people do that much then fine, but i cant help but think people most people playing dont really care.

Soldato
Those who have a PSN account of course won't have any issues or problems with linking it. But it is a genuine issue if you don't have a PSN account and don't want to get one, for all the many reasons people have outlined. It isn't just a "2 minute thing" throwing a disposable email at Sony as some are claiming, there's a lot of data you have to be prepared to give and entrust to Sony. This is an issue for some people, especially if they have no need for a PSN account other than to play HD2.

The Steam store listing says in a yellow alert box "Requires 3rd-Party Account: PlayStation Network (Supports Linking to Steam Account)" and apparently has always said this (although I don't recall seeing it when making a purchase soon after launch). If so, they would know there's lots of countries that cannot get a PSN account and so shouldn't be eligible to purchase. They've now delisted the game for these countries. They should have done this at launch, rather than enabling a cash grab.

Without seeing Steam's contract for publishing games who is legally responsible for providing and maintaining this information considering the PSN system was broken at launch? Does Playstaytion's website regarding PC games have supremacy, since they publish on multiple PC storefronts, over the individual storefronts games?

Soldato
Without seeing Steam's contract for publishing games who is legally responsible for providing and maintaining this information considering the PSN system was broken at launch? Does Playstaytion's website regarding PC games have supremacy, since they publish on multiple PC storefronts, over the individual storefronts games?

It's usually the store's responsibility to ensure they're legally able to sell you something. So, they can't sell you something that's region locked. This applies to digital goods and physical goods. The responsibility for the PSN integration being broken at launch is down to Arrowhead and Sony, not Steam. But regardless, players in countries unable to register a PSN account should not have been sold the game (as is now the case, but wasn't for the past 3 months).

Man of Honour
I just made an extremely fake Sony account with zero details but my backup Gmail.

Where do i connect it?

They've not re-enabled it yet but according to ED209:

If you reset your graphics settings by renaming the config file you get the prompt when you first load the game up to link the PSN account.

Location is C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Roaming\Arrowhead\Helldivers2 and the file is called user_settings.config

I only know this as had to do this earlier and got the prompt but was able to skip it without an issue.

Soldato
when i first launched the game it told me to link a psn account as it was needed so i did, the security concerns from people sound like paranoid band wagon jumpers, oh no my steam account is linked to sony or origin or ubi all the hackers will get is a email acount used on psn and a hashed password, they have no way of getting the password for said email or my psn one which i change any way periodically especially after after a sony leak let alone my actual email password or steam one, all they get is a email thats linked to a steam account and thats it.

i dont see why people are in uproar, sucks for people that are in psn banned countries but they can still play the game going from latest news and looks like the devs are encouraging the bad reviews to get some leverage on sony as the devs them selves seem to be against this.

Man of Honour
when i first launched the game it told me to link a psn account as it was needed so i did, the security concerns from people sound like paranoid band wagon jumpers, oh no my steam account is linked to sony or origin or ubi all the hackers will get is a email acount used on psn and a hashed password, they have no way of getting the password for said email or my psn one which i change any way periodically especially after after a sony leak let alone my actual email password or steam one, all they get is a email thats linked to a steam account and thats it.

I had data leaked from my PSN account in 2011 and around 2016 (though the only official breach in that time frame is 2017), as before fortunately outdated and/or made up but still. Though they aren't alone in having data breaches they've been the worst out of any place I've had accounts in around 25 years or so of using the internet for anything beyond trivial information being leaked. One of those included billing data which could have compromised me if it hadn't been years out of date.

Some breaches of Sony and elsewhere have been more than just email addresses and/or salted password hashes including personal data and billing details, etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
I had data leaked from my PSN account in 2011 and around 2016 (though the only official breach in that time frame is 2017), as before fortunately outdated and/or made up but still. Though they aren't alone in having data breaches they've been the worst out of any place I've had accounts in around 25 years or so of using the internet for anything beyond trivial information being leaked. One of those included billing data which could have compromised me if it hadn't been years out of date.

Some breaches of Sony and elsewhere have been more than just email addresses and/or salted password hashes including personal data and billing details, etc.

meh i survived that breach and havent had a problem since, think i had a ps3 at the time, just use different paswords and 2fa?

sorry to hear u got hit from it, first thing i done was change all my passowrds on psn and my email one :(

my emailadress has been pwned over the years but i keep nchangingg its password

Oh no — pwned!​

Pwned in 11 data breaches and found no pastes (subscribe to search sensitive breaches)

can be pwned mucxh as it wants the password is solid :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
meh i survived that breach and havent had a problem since, think i had a ps3 at the time, just use different paswords and 2fa?

sorry to hear u got hit from it :(

Fortunately was all outdated or made up information. Interestingly I just revived my old PSN account and immediately started getting spam on the linked email addy which has been dormant awhile... coincidence?

EDIT: I'm leaning towards coincidence as it started happening almost immediately but kind of odd that account has been pretty much inactive for months, used it to revive the PSN account and ever since been getting a trickle of spam emails.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fortunately was all outdated or made up information. Interestingly I just revived my old PSN account and immediately started getting spam on the linked email addy which has been dormant awhile... coincidence?

EDIT: I'm leaning towards coincidence as it started happening almost immediately but kind of odd that account has been pretty much inactive for months, used it to revive the PSN account and ever since been getting a trickle of spam emails.
2,844 Separate Data Breaches logo

2,844 Separate Data Breaches (unverified): In February 2018, a massive collection of almost 3,000 alleged data breaches was found online. Whilst some of the data had previously been seen in Have I Been Pwned, 2,844 of the files consisting of more than 80 million unique email addresses had not previously been seen. Each file contained both an email address and plain text password and were consequently loaded as a single "unverified" data breach.
Compromised data: Email addresses, Passwords
Adobe logo

Adobe: In October 2013, 153 million Adobe accounts were breached with each containing an internal ID, username, email, encrypted password and a password hint in plain text. The password cryptography was poorly done and many were quickly resolved back to plain text. The unencrypted hints also disclosed much about the passwords adding further to the risk that hundreds of millions of Adobe customers already faced.
Compromised data: Email addresses, Password hints, Passwords, Usernames
Android Forums logo

Android Forums: In October 2011, the Android Forums website was hacked and 745k user accounts were subsequently leaked publicly. The compromised data included email addresses, user birth dates and passwords stored as a salted MD5 hash.
Compromised data: Dates of birth, Email addresses, Homepage URLs, Instant messenger identities, IP addresses, Passwords
Anti Public Combo List logo

Anti Public Combo List (unverified): In December 2016, a huge list of email address and password pairs appeared in a "combo list" referred to as "Anti Public". The list contained 458 million unique email addresses, many with multiple different passwords hacked from various online systems. The list was broadly circulated and used for "credential stuffing", that is attackers employ it in an attempt to identify other online systems where the account owner had reused their password. For detailed background on this incident, read Password reuse, credential stuffing and another billion records in Have I Been Pwned.
CD Projekt RED logo

CD Projekt RED: In March 2016, Polish game developer CD Projekt RED suffered a data breach. The hack of their forum led to the exposure of almost 1.9 million accounts along with usernames, email addresses and salted SHA1 passwords.
Compromised data: Email addresses, Passwords, Usernames
Cit0day logo

Cit0day (unverified): In November 2020, a collection of more than 23,000 allegedly breached websites known as Cit0day were made available for download on several hacking forums. The data consisted of 226M unique email address alongside password pairs, often represented as both password hashes and the cracked, plain text versions. Independent verification of the data established it contains many legitimate, previously undisclosed breaches. The data was provided to HIBP by dehashed.com.
Collection #1 logo

Collection #1 (unverified): In January 2019, a large collection of credential stuffing lists (combinations of email addresses and passwords used to hijack accounts on other services) was discovered being distributed on a popular hacking forum. The data contained almost 2.7 billion records including 773 million unique email addresses alongside passwords those addresses had used on other breached services. Full details on the incident and how to search the breached passwords are provided in the blog post The 773 Million Record "Collection #1" Data Breach.
Evony logo

Evony: In June 2016, the online multiplayer game Evony was hacked and over 29 million unique accounts were exposed. The attack led to the exposure of usernames, email and IP addresses and MD5 hashes of passwords (without salt).
Compromised data: Email addresses, IP addresses, Passwords, Usernames
Gamigo logo

Gamigo: In March 2012, the German online game publisher Gamigo was hacked and more than 8 million accounts publicly leaked. The breach included email addresses and passwords stored as weak MD5 hashes with no salt.
Nexus Mods logo

Nexus Mods: In December 2015, the game modding site Nexus Mods released a statement notifying users that they had been hacked. They subsequently dated the hack as having occurred in July 2013 although there is evidence to suggest the data was being traded months in advance of that. The breach contained usernames, email addresses and passwords stored as a salted hashes.
Compromised data: Email addresses, Passwords, Usernames
Onliner Spambot logo

Onliner Spambot (spam list): In August 2017, a spambot by the name of Onliner Spambot was identified by security researcher Benkow moʞuƎq. The malicious software contained a server-based component located on an IP address in the Netherlands which exposed a large number of files containing personal information. In total, there were 711 million unique email addresses, many of which were also accompanied by corresponding passwords. A full write-up on what data was found is in the blog post titled Inside the Massive 711 Million Record Onliner Spambot Dump.

pwned websites
pwned accounts
pastes
paste accounts

not just sony tbh

Last edited:
Soldato
was playing hell divers 2 earlier and had no probs cept it seemeed a lot harder to solo, much more patrols, thats what my email address shows up on :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
They certainly aren't the only ones to have bad breaches, I also had quite a bit of information leaked from Kickstarter which was also used to try and compromise an old account I'd forgotten about which shared the same password but fortunately had 2FA enabled.

But Sony has been the worst for me personally, so on a personal level it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom