Help - Ebay account Hacked

Soldato
Need some help please.

Got loads of emails from Paypal about purchases I knew nothing about, all from about 20:50 - it appears ebay account has had its email and password changed (no idea how they did that!) and now they are buying through it, which is linked to my paypal.

I cant get through to ebay - their 24/7 line is only open during office hours! I have cancelled my credit card (linked to paypal), changed passwords on hotmail, paypal just in case.

Is there anything else I can do tonight?

Soldato
can they use your paypal account without logging in to it ?
I have to log in to my paypal every time I make an ebay purchase.
or did you have the same passwords ?

Soldato
OP
no, unfortunately I linked it to ebay so you dont have to login - I thought it was computer specific, as I only use the one machine to do my ebay stuff, but it appears its not.

Soldato
OP
I'll probably get the money back through buyer protection but the main pain is I was bidding on a couple of things that I'll probably miss out on (unless the hacker decides he wants them, which is unlikely!)

Soldato
OP
update - ebay has given me my account back, paypal are steadily refunding me the money, not all yet but they are working through them, just got to wait on my new credit card arriving and will be back. Have reported to Action Fraud but don't expect a result. A close call, no more linking paypal to ebay!!

Soldato
update - ebay has given me my account back, paypal are steadily refunding me the money, not all yet but they are working through them, just got to wait on my new credit card arriving and will be back. Have reported to Action Fraud but don't expect a result. A close call, no more linking paypal to ebay!!

Hopefully the robbing swine won't end up with any of the items as you were pretty quick of the mark. Glad it's sorted for you chap, never had an Ebay issue but had credit cards cloned a few times so know what it's like.

Soldato
A close call, no more linking paypal to ebay!!

I'm not sure linking to paypal and faster checkout are the same thing. I spent a lot of time trying to remove that faster checkout thing as I saw it as a security flaw. I unlinked my paypal account but still it would do automatic payments with paypal without me having to log in. I spent many frustrating hours trying to sort it but got nowhere, I ended up deleting my account an using a new one.

I also lost out on an auction once as the seller added to his requirements that bidders ebay accounts must be linked to paypal.

Back
Top Bottom