Help get sound in DOS

Soldato
Hi everyone

I am building a DOS PC (here is a short build log). I bought a sound card. It doesn't say what manufacturer or model it is, but the chips it has are an Opti 82C924 and Crystal CS 4231A-KL, and also a Yamaha OPL3 chip. I have identified a number of cards that it could be (i.e cards with the same chips) and downloaded them. I put all of them into a folder each in C:\DOS\Drivers and then added the following Autoexec.bat commands:

SET SOUND=C:\DOS\DRIVERS\TYPHOO~1
SETBLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6

However I don't get any sound, with any of the drivers. I understand that drivers weren't like they are now, and would work if they picked up the relevant chip rather than ID the actual manufacturer/model of your card and cancel if the right one wasn't detected.

I have a CF card so it is easy enough for me to dump dozens of drivers onto it from my XP PC and try each of them in turn.

Or are my Autoexec.bat commands the problem?

Annoyingly the BIOS on my board is very limited - I can't change or see any IRQ values!

nj65lmrh.jpg
3HftYVVh.jpg

Last edited:
Don
not sure if just a typo but should be a space between SET and BLASTER.

Annoyingly the BIOS on my board is very limited - I can't change or see any IRQ values!

Not knowing the IRQ isn't going to help, although if you can find a mirror of the Microsoft Diagnostics program "Msdzip.exe" then that should list any in use.
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/msdzip.exe - is where it used to be, but not working for me at least.

This page: https://flaterco.com/kb/audio/ISA/index.html
may be useful if you haven't already come across it, although doesn't look to have that exact card.

Soldato
OP
not sure if just a typo but should be a space between SET and BLASTER.

Not knowing the IRQ isn't going to help, although if you can find a mirror of the Microsoft Diagnostics program "Msdzip.exe" then that should list any in use.
ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/softlib/mslfiles/msdzip.exe - is where it used to be, but not working for me at least.

This page: https://flaterco.com/kb/audio/ISA/index.html
may be useful if you haven't already come across it, although doesn't look to have that exact card.

OK that's interesting, I didn't know there should be a space. All the "example" autoexecs I saw had no space in them! I'll give it a go with the space.

Soldato
WOW This brings back memories.. lol you would be better binning that card and finding a old soundblaster card as they were loads more flexible in a DOS environment. :)

Associate
I would love to but I take it you haven't seen the prices of soundblaster cards!

Keep looking on the ebay mate. Bargains do pop up. Last night i picked up a Sound Blaster Pro 2.0 (CT1600) for £18 and this Aztech Sound Galaxy BX last week for £9.99!

CZ6MARcl.jpg

Maybe look for a ESS card or one of the Aztechs. I have a few of the Aztech cards and the software is really easy to set up and they are compatible with everything!

Soldato
OP
OMGGG I FINALLY HAVE SOME FRICKIN SOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FMSynthesis anyway from the real OPL3 chip :)

I corrected the set blaster.
I changed "set sound" to be "set soundsw" and pointed it to the specific subdirectory that setsoundsw was saved. I get both SB Pro sound effects and FMsynth now (before I got nothing)

Now for some Jill of the Jungle and Secret of Monkey Island!

Thank you for the help everyone

Soldato
OP
nope, sound's gone again :( I have to have SET SOUND pointing at the general driver directory "typhoon", not the sndinit sub-directory where setsound lives. As such I have to trigger setsound manually. When I do this, the sound is veeeerrrryyy quiet (not amplified basically). Any ideas why this could be? Also the soundcard utility (probably made for another soundcard, but detects the chips and volumes easily enough) won't save any setting changes (e.g. disable the gameport to free up an IRQ).

Getting annoyed again now :(

edit - now it is just crackling with the odd note (at full volume). Maybe it is broken and it set up fine :( or does this suggest a software problem

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom