• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

HELP: i9 7900x Temps To High Delidded ( By Overclockers)

Associate
Ok after sorting out the overclocking (done a thread on that) have another problem!

My pre-binned i9 7900x apparently delidded (by overclockers.co.uk) however am getting extremely high temps these are worse then a i9 7900x NOT delidded from what I have seen online.
Basically at 1.11 volts (very low) with a 4.5Ghz overclock am hitting at full load using Aida64 above 90c on some cores :eek: (please see screenshots below.) I am using a AIO cooler the NZXT Kraken x62 280mm Radiator yes, yes I know a 360 is recommend but at 1.11v I should not be hitting over 90c even a non delidded with the same cooler won't hit those temps at that voltage I reckon it would have hit 100c after a while.
Am pretty sure this was delidded but did someone maybe forget to apply the TIM between the die and IHS :confused:

B7WeC9c.jpg
R740PrP.jpg

OcUK Staff
Set cache voltage to 1.0v will help. Leave vccin on auto.

But your cooling is being over run by the heat output of the Cpu. I am using Ek predators to test. This is bare minimum. Also do you have decent air flow on vrm cooler otherwise you get heat soak into the board.

Finally with your junk cooling just set 1.27V and 4.8 and play your games or use it normally. No need for maximum stress testing. Have core temp open for normal use. Still should be fine if not stressing all cores. Even 1.25 or less volts fine for not stress testing situations.

Associate
OP
Set cache voltage to 1.0v will help. Leave vccin on auto.

But your cooling is being over run by the heat output of the Cpu. I am using Ek predators to test. This is bare minimum. Also do you have decent air flow on vrm cooler otherwise you get heat soak into the board.

Finally with your junk cooling just set 1.27V and 4.8 and play your games or use it normally. No need for maximum stress testing. Have core temp open for normal use. Still should be fine if not stressing all cores. Even 1.25 or less volts fine for not stress testing situations.

Thanks 8 Pack, yes will try what you said. On stock at 100% load am only hitting 42c

Associate
OP
Exactly so delid is fine. It's your cooling. No need to stress test we did this already. 4.8 1.27v run normally as you simply don't have the cooling for intense stress stuff.

What should the AVX and AVX-512 Instruction Core Ratio be set to? currently on Auto

Soldato
I think what Eight Pack is saying is that you really should be changing your cooler. If you are stress testing at those speeds/voltages, the CPU is pulling between 250-300 watts, and your cooler is just crying in pain. It's the equivalent of trying to cool three 7700K's with one cooler, easier to think about in those terms.

OcUK Staff
It's more like 400 watts to be honest. But yes your totally correct. Our business customers using 8-10 core have gone from dual aio to custom 360 on this platform.

We have tested very extensivly as they did not want to have a larger footprint case. They accepted no option in the end but they are running 24-7 all cores load. If your not stress testing or loading up all the cores simultaneously then dual aio is fine.

Associate
OP
It's more like 400 watts to be honest. But yes your totally correct. Our business customers using 8-10 core have gone from dual aio to custom 360 on this platform.

We have tested very extensivly as they did not want to have a larger footprint case. They accepted no option in the end but they are running 24-7 all cores load. If your not stress testing or loading up all the cores simultaneously then dual aio is fine.

Out of curiosity 8 Pack when you done the testing with the i9 7900x at 4.8GHz 1.27 can you remember the temps? or any other temps you remember when you overclocked the i9 7900x and at what voltage?
Thanks

Soldato
Buy a better cooler given you spent quite a lot on everything else... You also need good airflow to allow the AIO to work well, it's not a silver bullet.

Associate
Buy a better cooler given you spent quite a lot on everything else... You also need good airflow to allow the AIO to work well, it's not a silver bullet.

+1 , given that the average Aio cooler is really no better than say a noctua NH-D15 which i wouln't dream of trying to use to cool a heavily overclocked 5960x let alone a 7900x.

If there was ever an argument for custom water cooling then this is it, if your going to overclock enthusiast grade cpu's then you need enthusiast level cooling. Even a custom loop with a 240mm rad is going to be cutting it fine with a 7900x and with that you'd need some very high rpm fans to keep the temps acceptable.

To keep the temps in check and do so at a reasonable sound level then i would spec a minimum of of a 45mm thick 360 rad, stick some reasonable fans on it and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom