Help me choose 64Gb of RAM, and help me learn how to tune/overclock

Soldato
Ok, I managed to whittle it down to this lot.
Memory.jpg

I'm starting from a high base in terms of clock speed. But I would like to tune/overclock it, I'd be happy with 6800 at CL32. I'll be on a Z790 board with a 13700k or 14700k (Haven't decided yet)

I've heard a lot of good things about the Teamgroup one, but it's starting with a high CL, can someone with experience let me know if I can bring that down to at least CL32 or lower?

I know the Corsair Dominator is a lot of money, but I am tempted by its looks. I suppose I'm asking someone to tell me off and persuade me to save myself a chuck of money :D

I would also like to know if there's any guides on how to tune/overclock ram, Buildzoids videos drone on a bit and I was wondering if there's any good videos or articles to show me at least where to start from?

Thanks for your time!

Soldato
Ok, I managed to whittle it down to this lot.
Memory.jpg

I'm starting from a high base in terms of clock speed. But I would like to tune/overclock it, I'd be happy with 6800 at CL32. I'll be on a Z790 board with a 13700k or 14700k (Haven't decided yet)

I've heard a lot of good things about the Teamgroup one, but it's starting with a high CL, can someone with experience let me know if I can bring that down to at least CL32 or lower?

I know the Corsair Dominator is a lot of money, but I am tempted by its looks. I suppose I'm asking someone to tell me off and persuade me to save myself a chuck of money :D

I would also like to know if there's any guides on how to tune/overclock ram, Buildzoids videos drone on a bit and I was wondering if there's any good videos or articles to show me at least where to start from?

Thanks for your time!

Id go for one of the 6600mhz CL32 kits, and extra 200mhz overclock should be easy to get out of them and the Vengence is only £33 quid mode for already a higher clock speed with better timings over the TeamGroup Kit, you've got no chance of tightening timings on the Team kit and overclocking it by 400mhz, not without a tonne of voltage, then you'll need to think about RAM cooling, if anything, to push it a further 400mhz you'll need to loosen timings even further.

I know the G. skill use Hynix M-Die because I used to have a kit of it, its a great die for timings, but not such a great die at high speeds, which is why you find the kits 7000mhz+ are all using A Die as its good for the speeds, but they dont generally use it in 64gb kits.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sorry Ive just realized you'll be running Intel, from what ive read you'll be lucky to run 6000mhz on a 13700, the IMC is poo, not sure about the 14700.

That's the opposite of what I read. Seems like the Intel chips can run fine up to 6800 with little to no issues. But you'll need Hynix's A-Die to get anything over 7000.

From what i read i'm pretty shocked you managed to get 8000 on an AM5, the memory controller is supposed to be much worse than Intels

Soldato
That's the opposite of what I read. Seems like the Intel chips can run fine up to 6800 with little to no issues. But you'll need Hynix's A-Die to get anything over 7000.

From what i read i'm pretty shocked you managed to get 8000 on an AM5, the memory controller is supposed to be much worse than Intels

Theres a thread right under yours, pretty much the same thread

this is mine right now, im just sorting my curves out then 8000 next, everyone is hitting it on AM5

g3Csaiy.jpg

Soldato
For maximum memory overclocking you want an i9 cpu, you want an overclocking board like an apex, you want two 16gb sticks of ddr5

Soldato
OP
Theres a thread right under yours, pretty much the same thread

this is mine right now, im just sorting my curves out then 8000 next, everyone is hitting it on AM5

Ah, i see, you're confused. You're correct in that would be true because he's trying to buy 2 more sticks to make it 4 sticks in total. And yes in that case it would be a miracle if he manages to get over 5600 let alone 6000

But if he went with 2 sticks of 32Gb then 6800 should be easily possible, especially on that motherboard! It's a fantastic motherboard, and it's also the one I'll be getting soon.

EDIT - There seems to be a weird consensus on this forum about Intel memory controllers and anything over 6000 when it's contrary to literally everywhere else on the internet, including Buildziods channel. Not sure how this started or who's perpetuating this. But it's simply not true

Last edited:
Soldato
Ah, i see, you're confused. You're correct in that would be true because he's trying to buy 2 more sticks to make it 4 sticks in total. And yes in that case it would be a miracle if he manages to get over 5600 let alone 6000

But if he went with 2 sticks of 32Gb then 6800 should be easily possible, especially on that motherboard! It's a fantastic motherboard, and it's also the one I'll be getting soon.

I was getting just 2 sticks, there is no way I was going to go with 4 sticks. Not got the patience to diagnose ram errors :cry:

Soldato
Sorry Ive just realized you'll be running Intel, from what ive read you'll be lucky to run 6000mhz on a 13700, the IMC is poo, not sure about the 14700.

I must be really lucky then to have 64GB running at 6600MHz CL32 with a 13700K in an ITX motherboard that doesn't have all the bells and whistles of it's ATX brethren.

embed

EDIT - There seems to be a weird consensus on this forum about Intel memory controllers and anything over 6000 when it's contrary to literally everywhere else on the internet, including Buildziods channel. Not sure how this started or who's perpetuating this. But it's simply not true

I agree, I've seen it pop up a few times now and all stating it as a fact. It's not the ram that's making the errors in this case ;). I just don't understand their agenda.

Soldato
On AMD the issue seems to be with 2DPC boards, even when only running 2 sticks let alone 4 sticks, people on 1DPC boards arnt having the same problems, not sure if Intel are having the same trouble, but thats one of the reasons you cant find the ASUS x670e Gene anywhere, everyone brought them up lol, because why have a 2DPC board when they are having problems and you've got next to no chance of running 4 sticks at any decent speed anyway, which would also explain your results @Mysterae_ mini ITX is 1DPC.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
On AMD the issue seems to be with 2DPC boards, even when only running 2 sticks let alone 4 sticks, people on 1DPC boards arnt having the same problems, not sure if Intel are having the same trouble, but thats one of the reasons you cant find the ASUS x670e Gene anywhere, everyone brought them up lol, because why have a 2DPC board when they are having problems and you've got next to no chance of running 4 sticks at any decent speed anyway, which would also explain your results @Mysterae_ mini ITX is 1DPC.

You're mixing up AMD with Intel. With a decent Intel chip and any half-decent Z790. You should be able to reach 6800 at a minimum and be very stable. Otherwise manufacturers wouldn't be selling mem sticks running that high.

Soldato
You're mixing up AMD with Intel. With a decent Intel chip and any half-decent Z790. You should be able to reach 6800 at a minimum and be very stable. Otherwise manufacturers wouldn't be selling mem sticks running that high.
nope, they are all the same, just in competition with each other, manufacturers are making XMP kits 8000mhz+, they dont care if you can run it or not or if you're using AMD or Intel, if you have a 2DPC board, then you're going to struggle.

Last edited:
Soldato
I must be really lucky then to have 64GB running at 6600MHz CL32 with a 13700K in an ITX motherboard that doesn't have all the bells and whistles of it's ATX brethren.

embed

I agree, I've seen it pop up a few times now and all stating it as a fact. It's not the ram that's making the errors in this case ;). I just don't understand their agenda.
Actually by using ITX and that board you are unknowingly giving it a really good chance, ITX is always 1 DIMM per channel like the APEX, Tachyon etc ..which is what you need for best overclocking with mem.
Z790I Edge is rather good board if you don't want to spend double on likes of an Apex.

Associate

Buildzoid regularly complains about how inconsistent and poor on average the Intel memory controller is

Source:

AMDs situation is that they can do 8000 MT/s but there’s no point because that runs out of synch with the infinity fabric.

The issue isn’t running Intel with 6000 MT/s at CL30, it’s running that config at high capacities and with 4 DIMMS.

Here’s Buildzoid running 8000 MT/s on AM5 (sure, it's on a very very expensive XOC motherboard)

AMDs new BIOS versions allow 8000 speeds rather than the memory controller being the issue

It seems like the memory controller on Ryzen 7000 series is now permanently desynchronised as per Buildzoid, hence why AMD can now do high RAM speeds.

I know Hardware Unboxed compared memory speeds for gaming and 6400 MT/s was faster on AMD than 6000 MT/s.

Soldato
Buildzoid regularly complains about how inconsistent and poor on average the Intel memory controller is

Source:

AMDs situation is that they can do 8000 MT/s but there’s no point because that runs out of synch with the infinity fabric.

The issue isn’t running Intel with 6000 MT/s at CL30, it’s running that config at high capacities and with 4 DIMMS.

Here’s Buildzoid running 8000 MT/s on AM5 (sure, it's on a very very expensive XOC motherboard)

AMDs new BIOS versions allow 8000 speeds rather than the memory controller being the issue

It seems like the memory controller on Ryzen 7000 series is now permanently desynchronised as per Buildzoid, hence why AMD can now do high RAM speeds.

I know Hardware Unboxed compared memory speeds for gaming and 6400 MT/s was faster on AMD than 6000 MT/s.

Its not the memory controller thats de-synced, its the Infinity Fabric, so it basically run 1:1:??? (Whatever you set the fabric too, as high as you can get it stable), so mine is 7800mhz (3900mhzDDR) / 1950mhz UCLK (Because im in 1:2 mode) / 2200mhz FCLK out of sync

DdNuZcQ.jpg

EDIT: The end result of running 1:2, much faster in all fields, and im able to disable gear down mode, than running 1:1 @ 6400mhz gear down enabled.

hM8HRyN.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom