Help me select the right 1Tb SSD

Associate
I'll be upgrading my current rig (see sig) in July to an AMD 3700x. In the meantime, I need some more storage so I was thinking about buying a 1Tb nvme m2 (either Samsung 970 Pro or Corsair MP510) in preparation for the new system, which I can make use of now through a PCIe m2 adapter. Are there any differences between PCIe adapters that I need to be aware of? Which one do people recommend? I'm assuming PCIe 3.0 is backward compatible to PCIe 2.0 (as my mobo is only PCIe 2.0 with my Sandy installed). Are there any other gotchas?

Associate
I use the Asus Hyper M.2 board, works fine in everything I've had it in, even old DDR3-based Dell Optiplexes. It comes with the low profile bracket as well as the full size one, which is handy.

Permabanned
I'll be upgrading my current rig (see sig) in July to an AMD 3700x. In the meantime, I need some more storage so I was thinking about buying a 1Tb nvme m2 (either Samsung 970 Pro or Corsair MP510) in preparation for the new system, which I can make use of now through a PCIe m2 adapter. Are there any differences between PCIe adapters that I need to be aware of? Which one do people recommend? I'm assuming PCIe 3.0 is backward compatible to PCIe 2.0 (as my mobo is only PCIe 2.0 with my Sandy installed). Are there any other gotchas?

I bought a cheap £4.99 adapter from OCUK which I used for a while, It was fine so I wouldn't go spending a lot especially when you'll likely be moving to a Ryzen build later in the year as it'll have it's own M.2 drive slots.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom