Help me with a new build, no budget

Associate
so my ltd company will be paying for my new build, so technically I have no budget

I will use it for gaming, movies blah blah the usual stuff, so here goes. I already have the r5 and its very silent. I don't overclock or watercool by the way

GPU - GTX 1080Ti
Case - FRACTAL R5
CPU - i7 7700K
Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO ( Anything better? )
Ram - 16gb DDR4 3000mhz ( recommendations? )
mobo - recommendations?
ssd - normal ssd or the new m.2?
PSU - any recommendations?

Associate
OP

Associate
OP
Both IPS, both Gsync, both capable of 100Hz, 3 vs 2year warranty.

Apart from the style and that the Acer is on offer (explains the £300 difference) I cant see any obvious difference.

thanks mate, you have been a great help

regarding ram, 16gb the sweet spot or should I go 32gb? I'm running 8gb atm of ddr3, so I presume any ddr4 will feel a lot better

Associate
OP
You can't really go wrong with a Gigabyte board and Corsair Ram.

Here are a few different boards depending on how much you want to spend. The Corsair ram will fit under any cpu cooler as they are classed as low profile. There are cheaper kits such as the Team Group Night Hawk but they are pretty tall.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £1,245.02
(includes shipping: £14.10)

so I can pretty much pick any mobo? any reason for price discrepancy?

I'm going to be using 1080ti, 7700k, samsung m.2 ssd and will need to work with my bluray drive ( im sure thats a given but cant hurt to check ) I won't be overclocking, oh and a cooler master evo cooler

Associate
OP
Theres no problem or hassle with a NVME drive unless I suppose you are using an ancient OS.

I made a post in the storage drives thread and someone said some motherboards require a bios update before it can read it

This is a brand new build, so NVME will be main drive, and optical drive will install onto the NVME directly.. I want a fresh install, its half of the fun

Associate
OP
I currently use a cooler master hyper 212 cooler for my pc, was easy to install

Is there anything better out nowadays? No doubt the 7700k runs hotter

Associate
OP
As you were considering the relatively modest but classic 212 cooler have you considered the NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU instead of the monolith that is the D14.

There's only a few degrees difference in performance and it's half the size - and unless you're going for an extreme clock it will still keep your CPU frosty and quiet.

I mention it as I have a similar monolith strapped to my present system - Thermalright Silverstone. Yes it keeps things cool but it's a PITA to work around and clean (although the Noctua is easier to fit and fans are easier to move). But, I personally feel, the performance does not warrant the hassle or the weight of massive heatsink - unless you're going to be clocking your system to absolute nth degree.

If you're going for a straight forward clock then the NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU will do the job - superior to the classic 212 but not such a hog when it comes to space and you can use whatever blingy memory that you want (although I personally like the plain stuff).

But, don't get me wrong, the D14 is in a class of its own - along with the BeQuiet - for performance but the fact you were considering the 212 you may want to take a look at the NH-U14S as it's a great compromise between size and performance.

sounds perfect, I won't overclock so the size compromise is great for me

Onto the fractal r5, the case fans seem okay, should I keep them or change them?

Associate
OP
so far I have

16GB RAM ( not specific picked yet )
GTX 1080Ti
Samsung 500gb M.2 EVO
FRACTAL R5
NOCTUA NH-U14S

anyone recommend me a good, quiet and modular PSU?

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
Ok, here is the build ready to go, final thoughts? pc part picker says "
  • The motherboard M.2 slot #0 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6Gb/s port is disabled."

i7 7700K
GTX 1080Ti
Gigabyte Intel GA-Z270X-
Samsung 960 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Noctua NH-U14S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Fractal Design Define R5
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz

Back
Top Bottom