Help needed please

Associate
Hi everyone.

Im moving home into a rental property and my current home setup will have to be dismantled.

Currently I have a Plex media server in my house and I use that to run media ( video & music ( from my band ) and family photos ) to my wall mounted tv via a HDMI cable. Its also used for the kids to watch you tube etc and I play the odd game on it.

The new property is a really strange layout ( the joys of old houses ) and I cant get my small pc close to where I have to wall mount my current tv.

So I need a solution where I can pass the hdmi signal across the room to the tv. Usually I would have tried to run a cable under the carpet but the new place is fully wooden floored. The wife has me under strict instruction of minimal wires showing so right now I'm a bit stuck as to what to do.

Any suggestions? The distance I will need to cover from pc to tv will be approx 7 meters and the video will be 1080p. Ive got a wireless keyboard and mouse setup that I use on Bluetooth that I'm hoping will still be sufficient for the input controls on the pc.

TIA

Soldato
How can you not squeeze it in? I have my pc in my front room, tucked in the corner behind my floor standing speaker

If it's only a media server, I presume it's not in a massive full tower case?

Last edited:
Associate
Nvidia Shield with Plex installed next to your TV with a power socket ethernet connection to your PC content in another room, or you could hook it up to a NAS. This of course involves spending money getting more kit, so this will probably be low in the priority list if you are moving house and need to point to finances somewhere else.

Soldato
I used Nvidia Shield for a few months, would not recommend. I had planned to have my pc in my man cave(spare bedroom), and then stream to my tv in the sitting room, and now pc is in my sitting room ;)

Soldato
Another vote for an Nvidia Shield, I use the pro version in the home cinema and amazed how well supported it is and how compatible it is using Plex and Streaming services.

Caporegime
I used Nvidia Shield for a few months, would not recommend. I had planned to have my pc in my man cave(spare bedroom), and then stream to my tv in the sitting room, and now pc is in my sitting room ;)

Nvidia shield(s) have been absolutely spot on here, even when playing uncompressed UHD rips, miles better than the Apple TV 4k junk i had before.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia shield(s) have been absolutely spot on here, even when playing uncompressed UHD rips, miles better than the Apple TV 4k junk i had before.

I've been impressed with the cheap generic amlogic chinese media players. For the price they are pretty good. Lousy stock IR remote transmitter power, but I don't have that problem.

Cheap enough to change out when they get slow, no longer supported by Kodi, new HDMI features like 4K, HDR, H265 and AV1/HVC hardware decoding etc.

Back
Top Bottom