Help! New gaming pc build £800 budget

Associate
Hello, thanks for your time for looking at my post.
I have around £800 budget to make a new gaming pc.

I have an old skylake pc which I can salvage an old Corsair 850M psu, Gtx 1080, 2x 250gb ssd and a gaming monitor and would like to reuse these.

Other than that, I don't have a preference for amd vs intel.
I would prefer a m.2 as my main hdd, prefer a White case with some aesthetics like a glass panel and some rgb and noise issue is not problem. And probably at least 16gb but prefer 32gb memory.
Quick edit: I also need wifi and happy with onboard sound.

I would like the focus to be on upgradability on the mobo as I will likely replace the cpu and gpu in the future, though overclocking isn't a must.

I will be gaming on this machine on a Samsung G9.. but let's not focus on my gpu problems at the moment as I'm happy to play on lower settings for now.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Hi.

Slightly over budget but there are savings to be made for example you could go a 12400 or 12400f ( which is the value king) and b660 motherboard which would reduce cost by £100 approx.

CODE My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £847.47 (includes shipping: £11.70)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for this build @mickyflinn

This looks very nice and I don't mind paying the extra.
Was actually going to swap out the case for one with a type C on the front panel. It has to be white though, but rgb isn't that important as I can always swap out the fans for rgb ones later on.

Also I couldn't find the 12400f anywhere on the site. Is it Oos?

Man of Honour
Thanks for this build @mickyflinn

This looks very nice and I don't mind paying the extra.
Was actually going to swap out the case for one with a type C on the front panel. It has to be white though, but rgb isn't that important as I can always swap out the fans for rgb ones later on.

Also I couldn't find the 12400f anywhere on the site. Is it Oos?
Corsair 4000d or 4000x are nice cases.

Overclockers are not stocking the 12400f for some reason.

Last edited:
Associate
For case I have just built in the be quiet 500dx. Case comes with 3x 140mm fans too so if top mounting an aio can have 2 x 140mm in the front for decent airflow

lovely white case, rgb is inbuilt to case and has usb c on front panel.

Update the bios on the board to F6 and the ram works with XMP flawlessly, as some z690s struggle with ram speeds. Could always lower the cooler to the Arctic Freezer 34 esports? I got he 360 arctic AIO in the front of this case and fits perfectly.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £797.16 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Last edited:
Associate
I agree with the above builds (the 12600K is epic value for money), however, I’m going to play devils advocate and suggest buying a new GPU by itself.

your psu is plenty strong enough (well done for long term thinking there) and even a Skylake CPU will be enough for most gaming.

You’ll leave performance on the table but you can then save up for a new CPU + mobo + RAM later on.

It’s not the best strategy as CPU and motherboard pricing is more competitive than GPU pricing but it’s an alternate strategy.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/giga...dr6x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-1dw-gi.html

Associate
OP
Thanks for your input @JollyJamma.
I have been using my 4690k since forever (apologies, I meant Haswell on my original post). I've been running it overclocked for some time and for a long time it has just been enough for my games. But recently it's shown its age with games like Lost Ark. It's totally bottlenecking my gpu, maybe it's just poorly optimised, who knows....
But regardless, it's definitely time for a whole new upgrade on the entire system.

I get it 12600k should be my base, and build around that...
It'll save up for a new dlss gpu, but that'll be later this year when hopefully they won't be as overpriced.

Thanks @scorchedbee, it'll take a look at those parts

Associate
OP
Also another question.
Is there an Amd value for money equivalent to these builds. I remembered back then when Amd gave better bang for your buck with the phenom chips??

And I see some motherboard have ddr5 memory. Is that worth considering getting now and allocate budget into???

Man of Honour
Also another question.
Is there an Amd value for money equivalent to these builds. I remembered back then when Amd gave better bang for your buck with the phenom chips??

And I see some motherboard have ddr5 memory. Is that worth considering getting now and allocate budget into???
5600x and a b550/x570 motherboards but intel is the way to go with there pcie5 support.

Ddr5 is not worth it for gaming there is little gains in performance compared to ddr4.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply.

Another question just became very relevant for me is the compatibility with Windows 11.

Are the mobos posted here compatible with this TPM??## whatever that is that windows 11 needs

Soldato
I would like the focus to be on upgradability on the mobo as I will likely replace the cpu and gpu in the future, though overclocking isn't a must.

This is a false economy on both currently available platforms from AMD and Intel. Socket LGA 1700 will have one more upgrade that will offer at best a 10% upgrade over what is on offer now, and AM4 from AMD is EOL and is due to be replaced. Either buy a better CPU first, e.g. 12700K and be done with it until you replace the board/CPU/RAM again, or do the opposite and spend less, but do it twice and closer together, so a 10400f/B560 or 12400f/B660, or even a 5600x/B550 all of these use super cheap DDR4.

If you go down the cheaper option then you could easily swap out after 18-24 months, and still have spend the same overall as you would now, and changing the CPU in the near future.

Man of Honour
Thanks for the reply.

Another question just became very relevant for me is the compatibility with Windows 11.

Are the mobos posted here compatible with this TPM??## whatever that is that windows 11 needs
All the latest platforms will support windows 11 and tpm so that's what you should be on for intel to get the best out of it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the win11 confirm..

I also want to confirm that my Corsair Hx850 psu still good?, I mean a power supply is a power supply right??, and i doubt the dimensions have changed that much?

Since ive started looking around and with all your helpful inputs, my mindset has changed a little and I've been looking at a £600 build (built on pcpartspicker) and spend the extra on a GPU. I should be able to sell my 1080 and along with the £200ish saving maybe close enough to get a 3060 in a few months.

So currently my complete build would look like this:

Intel Core i5-12400F - £164.09
Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard - £164.99
Asus PRIME B660-PLUS D4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard - £140.56
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory - £69.86
Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive - £69.98
NZXT H510 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case - £74.98
Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler - £39.97
Total cost = £583.87 £559.44

To go with my existing:-
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB GAMING Video Card
Corsair hx 850w professional series
2x SSD
Samsung G9

How does that look to you guys? Are there any glaring mistakes in that build?
Am I better off with a B660 mobo?
The 12400F shouldn't bottleneck a 3060 (3090?) right?

edit: changed mobo to b660 since i wont be overclocking

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory

Crucial Ballistix can be had for the same price but at 3600 C16 - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cruc...00c16-3600mhz-dual-channel-kit-my-20q-cr.html

NZXT H510 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case

It's an OK case, based on a pretty old design with only a single fan supported in the top meaning you can only mount an AIO at the front. I would look at the Corsair 4000D Airflow which can be had for £69.98.

The 12400F shouldn't bottleneck a 3060 (3090?) right?

Depends on the resolution but no should be fine for 1440p and above.

Associate
OP
@LiE thanks for your reply.
I'm not going to LiE to you ( ͡°Ɛ ͡°). I went for that case and ram because of the looks.

You are right, that memory is better performance and the case i chose has limitations.

Hopefully it wont be an issue as im not planning to OC, so i shouldn't need anymore cooling than the fan i chose.

Other than that, is my current Hx850 psu still okay? Has there been some major changes that would make it incompatible with the case and/or the mobo?

Man of Honour
@LiE thanks for your reply.
I'm not going to LiE to you ( ͡°Ɛ ͡°). I went for that case and ram because of the looks.

You are right, that memory is better performance and the case i chose has limitations.

Hopefully it wont be an issue as im not planning to OC, so i shouldn't need anymore cooling than the fan i chose.

Other than that, is my current Hx850 psu still okay? Has there been some major changes that would make it incompatible with the case and/or the mobo?
Psu is fine.

The motherboard you chose is a £180 to £190 motherboard is that the right model ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Back
Top Bottom