Help plz with installation

Associate
Hey guys,

Im in the middle of installing my new system and im really finding it difficult :( Im trying to install my maximus hero xi into my phanatek evolv x case. First problem ive got is the front fan hub, the lead needs to be put into the EXT Fan connector correct? If this is correct then my lead from the hub isn't long enough to reach n not only that its only 4 pin while the header is 5 pin, would this matter? do I need a extension cable? Other stuff I could really need help with is the RGB, never installed this before and unsure which port to put it. I think its the addressable port but ill go more into that if anyone is able to firstly help and advise me what to do with the fan hub. Another thing ive installed a AIO for the first time, ive put the fan pump lead from this into the aio fan header at the top of the board, ive connected the two fans on the radiator to the leads coming from the unit itself and im left with a sata connector which I believe i connect to the psu. Does this sound right

plz help, Im stuck

Thanks

Associate
OP
Ive just read elsewhere that the fan hub doesn't need to be plugged into the ext fan header so ive plugged it into the cpu fan. Ive got this lead mb d rgb 3 pin n ive plugged this into the addressable rgb header 1. Hope this is ok? Other than that I think im good at min. Usb 3.1 n 2.0 are in, audio front panel is, dont seem to have a hdd light or power light on this case. oh one other thing, I got the thor 850w psu, this case has a psu shroud n with the fan being at the top on this psu it makes the hole n filter at bottom irrelevant. Theres only like 5 mm tops above the psu, bit worried about this but ive fitted one of the 140mm fans at the front to help a little with air flow in along with the 2 radiator fans, one 140mm at back and one at top exhausting.

Soldato
That all sounds right so far. Shame about the Thor PSU insisting on the fan being on top. Seems short sighted.

So long as addressable/digital RGB is all connected together and not connected to 12V RGB you should be ok. I'd power it up and test!

Associate
OP
Hey thanks for the reply Benski!!, Can I ask what you mean by not connecting to the 12v rgb, there are non addressable ports, do u mean not to use them? Infact theres 2 of each, at mo im only using the one but I think the psu will have one. Do I plug this into rgb addressable 2? Thanks again!

Soldato
Hey thanks for the reply Benski!!, Can I ask what you mean by not connecting to the 12v rgb, there are non addressable ports, do u mean not to use them? Infact theres 2 of each, at mo im only using the one but I think the psu will have one. Do I plug this into rgb addressable 2? Thanks again!
That's right - non-addressable RGB runs off 12V and digital/addressable runs off 5V so would get fried by 12V.

Yeah if the PSU is also addressable I'd plug that into the second header!

Associate
OP
ok ive come across more problems, im unsure what to do. Ive got a d rgb fan lead which comes from the front of the case, it has a 3 pin n also splits to a 4pin with a cover over the pins (removable) Any idea what this is and where to plug it. Ive got a lead which wud fit it but ive only got one rgb port on the psu n that is now connected to the board. Which do I miss out? Another problem, the cpu 12v leads r just not long enough to reach the top of the board, even if I bypass all the wire covers n just spread it across the back of the board it still isn't enough. Its mainly because of the psu shroud, having to go around that

Soldato
Sadly a common problem. You can get ATX EPS 4/8-pin extensions fairly cheaply. Annoying if it stops you building though! Could you run it on top of the motherboard for now?

For the RGB connections, some devices have a pin to output the signal (so +5V, ground, data in PLUS data out). Alternatively maybe an output header on the device. But not everything has that. So you may not be able to connect 3 A-RGB devices at once. Best to check manuals for each component I'd say :)

Associate
OP
ok ive got the 12v figured I think but a quick question, ive got 2 8pin split into 2x4s, I only need one 8 n one 4 so do I leave the other 4 unplugged? Thanks again for your help you've been awesome

what do you mean the output header on the device? im not even sure what this rgb fan is on the phantek evolv x, none of my fans r rgb as far as I know which came with the case

Associate
OP
From what I can gather by going thru the manual, the rgb im left with which isn't plugged in is for extra rgb lighting I may buy in the future, does this sound about right? All ive got left to do is unplug my ram, gfx card, sound card and m2 n ssd`s from this machine n fit them. Then hopefully boot up. Fingers crossed

Soldato
ok ive got the 12v figured I think but a quick question, ive got 2 8pin split into 2x4s, I only need one 8 n one 4 so do I leave the other 4 unplugged? Thanks again for your help you've been awesome

what do you mean the output header on the device? im not even sure what this rgb fan is on the phantek evolv x, none of my fans r rgb as far as I know which came with the case
No worries :) Yep leave one 4-pin loose. If you have issues, you may have the wrong one connected so swap the 4-pin you plugged in for the loose one.

I doubt any of your devices have an output for passing forward RGB on them so don't worry about that, sorry to confuse. It looks like your case has A-RGB regions along the front and side. These might be what the loose plug is for. I'm also wondering if the case has its own control for RGB as the product page seems to mention buttons... But a loose cable is likely to have lights on I assume.

Can't hurt to swap your parts, boot up and sort out the lighting later!

Associate
OP
I've booted it but the aio isn't working at all, fans n the screen. Other than that it's all gd apart from the buttons for RGB on case ain't working. Any ideas?

Associate
OP
It's ok I'd forgotten the usb lead on the aio, now everything is working apart from the mode button for RGB at front of case. The on n off RGB works so I'm hoping it's jus cus I don't have the software installed for the board as yet. Thanks so much for the help n reassurance

Associate
OP
I've now got another problem. Upon switching pc on it actually booted t windows but is not online. I've got a usb ready for install but can't seem to access the bios, even using the settings recovery way, it jus goes straight into windows. If I run the usb from Windows it errors n says it has A fault but bcus I'm not online I can't redo it. The mboard disk is useless t me aswell with no dvd. Is it possible to wipe the c drive while in windows? This is a nightmare

Soldato
I've now got another problem. Upon switching pc on it actually booted t windows but is not online. I've got a usb ready for install but can't seem to access the bios, even using the settings recovery way, it jus goes straight into windows. If I run the usb from Windows it errors n says it has A fault but bcus I'm not online I can't redo it. The mboard disk is useless t me aswell with no dvd. Is it possible to wipe the c drive while in windows? This is a nightmare
Sounds like you want to boot from USB and do a fresh install? Either Windows 10 is hiding your bootloader, or your USB hasn't been written properly. First try rebooting from USB via Windows 10 and doing the advanced restart option. I think you hold shift while clicking restart to see more options. You may need to search that online. Also look up turning Secure Boot off whole you reinstall.

If booting from USB doesn't work via that menu, you may have written the USB wrong. It can be a nightmare, I use software called Rufus to write ISO files to USB. Absolute lifesaver. Give those a go!

Associate
Nice job sticking with the build despite the issues. How did you find working in the case? I'm building in one now and compared to my last it is brilliant, especially the cable routing.
Did you have any trouble fitting the hero board onto the motherboard standoffs?

Associate
OP
The case is awesome, the only gripe I have with it is the weight. I did have trouble with the middle screw and so left that off...… Ive have done this once before without any problems so don't forsee any this time either. The cable routing is superb as you say. Heres a couple more pics with a different phone, again very poor though

https://i.imgur.com/eq022iH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jsHi3Wa.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/NW7hv7j.jpg

Just a quick question, do you guys... off the top of your head know which bios option stops the cpu from changing speed constantly, at mo its switching like its on acid. ill read a guide soon enough but just thought id ask. Overall im very happy with the finished product, I do plan to add a halo to the back fan n mayb a grill n some rgb dominator ram but other than that im done for now. Thanks everyone that helped me, you guys are great!!!

cpu temp on windows is 26c, sound good?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom