Help! Printer not recognised after Windows 10 Upgrade

Associate
Hello

I'd be really grateful for your help and advice. I have an HP Laserjet P3005 printer. I used to run Windows 7 on my PC but recently upgraded to Windows 10. I honestly can't be certain if the printer worked since the upgrade, but in the last couple of weeks it's stopped working.

When I connect the printer to my PC, I get this popup:
i7nfpcuomz411.png

Under Device Manager, I have this glorious view:
0l36uxjtmz411.png

The "Unknown USB Device" disappears when I pull the printer USB plug out, so I suppose it must be that.

I've looked on the HP site and found this page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...et-p3005-printer-series/1846088/model/1846089

The page includes an MSI to ostensibly update the USB driver (Dot4x64.msi) but running this seems to have no effect. I've also tried installing the other drivers available on the site with no success.

The printer works on another computer (a laptop also running Windows 10) so there must be something screwed up with my install. I really don't want to reinstall my PC and would be really grateful for a pointer to a more elegant fix.

Thanks in advance!

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses.

The exact same printer and cable work on another computer with Windows 10 installed.

I've done the uninstall and reinstall drivers thing a few times with no luck. I even ran the suggested MSI.

Associate
OP

So I wasn't lying when I said "Yes" - but what I didn't do was try a different port that wasn't part of the original motherboard.

I have a multi purpose front panel expansion slot thing that also has a USB port. The printer works through that. So it appears that the drivers don't properly support things on my ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 ( http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z68 Extreme3 Gen3/index.asp ).

Presumably, I need to update some drivers to make it work with Windows 10.

Permabanned
So I wasn't lying when I said "Yes" - but what I didn't do was try a different port that wasn't part of the original motherboard.

I have a multi purpose front panel expansion slot thing that also has a USB port. The printer works through that. So it appears that the drivers don't properly support things on my ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 ( http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z68 Extreme3 Gen3/index.asp ).

Presumably, I need to update some drivers to make it work with Windows 10.

You shouldn't have needed to do that. USB is USB it's the drives that makes things work. Possibly you hit nail on the head and the board needs to support the OS correctly too.

Soldato
Hello

I'd be really grateful for your help and advice. I have an HP Laserjet P3005 printer. I used to run Windows 7 on my PC but recently upgraded to Windows 10. I honestly can't be certain if the printer worked since the upgrade, but in the last couple of weeks it's stopped working.

When I connect the printer to my PC, I get this popup:
i7nfpcuomz411.png

Under Device Manager, I have this glorious view:
0l36uxjtmz411.png

The "Unknown USB Device" disappears when I pull the printer USB plug out, so I suppose it must be that.

I've looked on the HP site and found this page: https://support.hp.com/us-en/driver...et-p3005-printer-series/1846088/model/1846089

The page includes an MSI to ostensibly update the USB driver (Dot4x64.msi) but running this seems to have no effect. I've also tried installing the other drivers available on the site with no success.

The printer works on another computer (a laptop also running Windows 10) so there must be something screwed up with my install. I really don't want to reinstall my PC and would be really grateful for a pointer to a more elegant fix.

Thanks in advance!

I had exactly same issue with my USB mouse vanished to unknown USB device (Invalid Device Descriptor) a few years ago on Z77 motherboard and also months ago on Z370 motherboard. I tried removed USB driver on Z77 and reinstalled it fixed it but the same solution did not worked on Z370 motherboard, tried DISM repair did not fixed it so I tried Media Creation Tool to reinstalled Windows 10 and it succeed fixed USB issue with all USB ports worked properly and had USB mouse worked. Thought my USB mouse died but it worked fine on my laptop.

You can download Media Creation Tool at the link below to reinstall Windows 10 to get USB ports work properly again.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Make sure you disable anti-virus first before run the setup installation.

Soldato
when you tried to install drivers did none of them have any effect on the device manager report... ie.
are they all not installing because windows 10 thinks it knows better and is the best/latest/signed microsoft driver ?

so get the driver you want to install, remove all the others (the physical files too), even take pc off line, and install what you want ....
then worry about preventing windows 10 reloading its preferred driver.

Back
Top Bottom