Help recover files (deleted partition)

Associate
I backed up all my important files and my steamapps folder onto the second partition on my HDD in preparation for reinstalling windows on the first partition.

I took the HDD out of my machine and hooked it up to my flatmate's PC so I could format the "C" drive and speed up the windows install (preventing it from having to make a windows old folder etc.).

I then decided that my C partition was a bit large because I intended on installing Steam onto the other partition this time, so I shrunk the C partition by a bit. Which worked fine.

Then I tried to expand the second partition (with the windows disk manager under computer management). I must have done something wrong or misunderstood something because it created a new partition (between the first and second) - or at least the drive manager gave me the impression that that was what it did. I then deleted that new partition but my backup partition ended up being deleted too somehow.

So I proceeded to install windows on the first partition leaving the rest of the drive unallocated knowing that there are partition recovery tools out there. But all the tools I run either find nothing or can't continue because apparently it is a dynamic drive. I have done this before to recover deleted partitions but without "dynamic drive" complaints and successfully recovered files, but I think I need a new tool this time.

I had a partition recovery tool once which I could boot into from a CD, but I can't remember what it was called and apparently I never wrote on the disk because I seem to have about 300 CDs/DVDs with information on them but no writing on them :p

I have tried Active@Partition Recovery among others within windows.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom