Help with chopping/slicing

Caporegime
Recovery from my stroke has got to the point where I can cook again. However, I am still struggling badly with chopping. Meat isn't too bad as it's quite damp and non slip, but I like curries and things like onions and peppers are hard. At risk of cutting myself. Plus I'm on blood thinners, so that's not a bright idea.

So do you know of any techniques or gadgets that could make my life easier?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Had you considered a serrated knife for the veggies? That way you just saw back and forth and don't have to apply any downward pressure.

Good practice for cutting is to create a flat surface to start with - so with an onion, cut the end off it first so you create a flat surface to steady it on, then cut it in half and it should be easy to slice or chop from there. Same with potatoes etc, any larger veg.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
And for your finer chopping, Garlic Zoom!

Edit: Haha! The 1-star reviews on there are amazing - I even commented on one a while back because it sounded like the person wasn't using it right. They were, they just lacked any shred of common sense.

It's a simple device - you open the trap-door in the top, deposit cloves, shut, roll back and forth on the wheels so the blades spin and shred the garlic. You then split the container in half, remove the free-sitting blade wheel and empty the garlic out. The 1-star reviewers make it sound like they're apes banging it on a rock, showering themselves in razor blades and garlic. They also complain it's hard to clean. Three seconds under a running tap and it's done.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It's very simple to peel garlic without too much hassle or dexterity. Just cut the base off (pretty simple) then crush it. Half the skin is removed instantly and the rest is only loosely attached and is easy to peel.

Caporegime
but why use a machine to cut it? just get a garlic press and you dont even need to remove the skin , its not like you really want the texture of the garlic anyway?

anyway I find peeling garlic tedious

Soldato
Surely this is what a food processor is for (with slicing attachment)? At the very least a mandolin would be useful for you.

Having a stroke sucks, but I'm glad to hear that you're back in the kitchen again!

Soldato
Sharpen your knives - a sharp knife is easier to control.
Work out a way that works for you to hold the food firmly - for an onion I have index & middle finger on top (fingertips tucked under to avoid the blade and 1st & 2nd knuckles guide the knife), ring finger & tumb grip either side and little finger steadies the end.
Use a slicing action rather than a chop - set the edge of the blade on the onion & move forward or back with gentle downward pressure. A sharp blade will easily slice through. Also why using a bigger knife is often better.

So: big, sharp, slice don't chop. And practice on something firm but easy to cut, like a cucumber. Good luck!

Man of Honour
This is in the Black Friday sale at 7pm. Will be cheaper than the price shown.

I realy want one, not entirely sure why, I make a lot of coleslaw, but big food processor can do that. But this is just smaller. Ahh I fail at logic. There's no need for it.

Tefal slicer looks better, not on offer though and a bit more expensive.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006ZCU3...de=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B006ZCU3T0

Or as everyone else has said a k I've which fits you hand nicely, extremely sharp blade and a nice chopping board which doesn't slip around and is flat.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom