Help with flooring please!

Associate
Right, the wife and I can't decide on whether to go for wood-effect laminate or real wood flooring in our new dining/garden room - and the dog's been no help!

Anyone got any ideas or opinions? (about the floor, not the dog! :p )

Cheers

Soldato
laminate is generally considered to be more stable (doesnt warp, shrink, cup) but modern techniques have pretty much killed this with real wood too, if its properly installed. Real wood for my money since it looks, well, real.

Soldato
Proper wood. No cheap laminated crap. The proper wood one will look more authentic anf furthermore last longer if you look after it. Additionally it looks much better. Laminate is just what it says on the tin, cheap wood with a picture of wood patterns glued on then laminated to make it look glossy and nice.

Real wood is the way to go. But off course if you want to spend money try some underfloor heating with marble :D

Associate
OP
eXSBass said:
But off course if you want to spend money try some underfloor heating with marble :D

Solid granite maybe??!

Thanks mate, I'm never gonna hear the end of that one from the wife now!! She'll be wantin a jacuzzi next!
rofl!

Soldato
i say real.
the bulging effect after you make the laminate effect flooring wet is impossible to get rid off. And your dog may scrape the fake flooring away from the edges..
real wood smells nicer too ;)

Permabanned
Laminate if you think that after 4 years you're going to want to go back to carpet.
Real wood if it is for keeps.

I went with laminate as young families pretty much wreck everything anyway and it is far less grief than carpet.

Associate
OP
VIRII said:
I went with laminate as young families pretty much wreck everything anyway and it is far less grief than carpet.

Well if a dog counts a young family then I guess it's laminate lol.

Tried some samples of real wood and laminate, and the laminate is more resistant to damage...so I think that's what we're gonna go for.

Cheers people.

Soldato
I got some real hard wood flooring that is a 7mm slice of wood bonded onto a ply base which fits together like laminate. Got some real cherry hardwood, looks great with all the grain and seems be be hard wearing for the three years its been down.

Soldato
Defcon5 said:
With laminate once its worn it needs to be replaced, but with real wood you can sand it down as many as 5 times so it could end up lasting 5 times longer than laminate flooring

Aye thats true, apparently the company that makes the flooring Ive got will come out and sand it down and re-treat it for a fee.

Soldato
The only reason people laminate instead of real wood is £, getting real wood flooring is going to cost a heck of a lot more than laminate, so if money is no object then why would you laminate? i certainly wouldnt. Descent laminate is about 25-30 quid a pack, i wouldnt go cheaper then £20 per pack and ive seen real wood stuff for nearly £100 per pack.

If it where me i would laminate a kitchen but the rest of the house if it where to be hard flooring and i could afford it, real wood definitely. Living room flooring i would prefer carpet any day but for pets i suppose i can understand why you would want hard flooring

Permabanned
schnipps said:
The only reason people laminate instead of real wood is £, getting real wood flooring is going to cost a heck of a lot more than laminate, so if money is no object then why would you laminate? i certainly wouldnt. Descent laminate is about 25-30 quid a pack, i wouldnt go cheaper then £20 per pack and ive seen real wood stuff for nearly £100 per pack.

Very true. This is why I would not waste cash on real wood if I thought that I either was not going to like it for long or that my kids / dog would be likely to damage it.
I guess it depends on what you can afford and how often you like to redecorate / change the floor covering.

Soldato
if you can afford it go for real wood. You can find it a bit cheaper on ebay from time to time. You may also want to look at some good reclaimed wood. You can get some really fantastic bargains on hard woods that they cant really cut down anymore.

My old house had 100 year old real wood everywhere except the hallway. It was so much nicer than the laminate rubbish

Soldato
Bear said:
I got some real hard wood flooring that is a 7mm slice of wood bonded onto a ply base which fits together like laminate. Got some real cherry hardwood, looks great with all the grain and seems be be hard wearing for the three years its been down.

id go with bear for the best choice, multi ply sub base with a 4mm real wood venner on top. the multi ply is stable as any thing so minimal chances of shrinkage when you put it in a central heated house, unlike realwood which will shrink as it becomes dry and expand when is is damp. it costs a lot less than solid wood and will last just as long, if not longer. as the ply sub base is vennered there will be less defects in the real wood top, as long as you get a good quility one.
used this type of flooring a lot and IMO its the best you can buy.
spend as much as you can and you cant go wrong.

Baz

Baz

Soldato
Laminate, hard wearing, will take years before it needs replacing, easy to clean, waterproof (if you buy the decent stuff) and great for pets. But buy the expensive stuff, the cheap stuff isnt so great.

Just spent the weekend doing the lounge and hall with it, already done the kitchen and it makes the room look great, plus with having a 6 month old Labrador, its easy to clean up.

real wood would look great but the cost is huge.

Back
Top Bottom