Help with flooring please!

Soldato
My dad put some laminate down where I keep my mountain bikes. It only needed 2 packs, so we got the £25~ stuff, and its done really well, considering the abuse it gets. On the switch side, he put a crappy £10ish pack in the downstairs bathroom, and while it isnt too bad now its down, you could certainly tell the quality difference when it came to laying it.

Id go with good quality lamite if its definatly going to take some abuse. If its just for general usage, a nice real wood floor would look awesome.

Permabanned
Paras said:
You may also want to look at some good reclaimed wood.
Good thinking Batman! :)
Reclaimed building materials merchants - Yellow Pages or small ads in the local paper - for the win! Roof and floor tiles, chimney pots, post boxes, cast iron fireplaces, hardwood front doors and frames, uPVC doors & windows, 10"x4"x20' roofing beams, shiplap planking (shed walls), decorative beading, roofing sheets, cobblestones, fence posts and rails, baths, basins and toilets. Treasure hunters paradise!

Caporegime
CF93 said:
Right, the wife and I can't decide on whether to go for wood-effect laminate or real wood flooring in our new dining/garden room - and the dog's been no help!

Anyone got any ideas or opinions? (about the floor, not the dog! :p )

Cheers
If you want proper flooring advice, get a Llama.

And go for real wood, not plastic.

If it has to be hardwood, find a reputable source that guarantees sustainable sources.

I like the reclaim idea too.

Associate
OP
VIRII said:
Laminate for the "dog with soggy feet sliding into the wall" comedy moments.

Actually, with some decent varnish, you get the same effect with real wood!! Seen her do that in a friends house with real wood. Well funny! (Only a small dog too, so she gets up lots of speed in a short distance!) :D :D

Thanks for all the advice people - it's been a big help.

You'd be amazed at how INexpensive real wood is - and reasonably good stuff too. On the other hand, it's not waterproof without varnish and a decent sealant for between the boards.

Like all things, you get what you pay for, and we certainly WON'T be getting the £2.98-pr-square-metre stuff that B&Q have got just now!!

But keep the advice and opinions coming, as we've been so busy looking for other things (tiling for the bathroom just now!) that we haven't yet decided on the flooring....

Cheers!

Soldato
QUIK STEP is your friend.

Whilst about £25 per meter its combines the luxuries of wood, and the hassle free nature of laminate. Get some decent underlay and its good to walk on as well.

make sure its fitted by somone decent.

Permabanned
CF93 said:
Right, the wife and I can't decide on whether to go for wood-effect laminate or real wood flooring in our new dining/garden room - and the dog's been no help!

I hope you dont refer to her like that to her face.....

Soldato
CF93 said:
Actually, with some decent varnish, you get the same effect with real wood!! Seen her do that in a friends house with real wood. Well funny! (Only a small dog too, so she gets up lots of speed in a short distance!) :D :D

Thanks for all the advice people - it's been a big help.

You'd be amazed at how INexpensive real wood is - and reasonably good stuff too. On the other hand, it's not waterproof without varnish and a decent sealant for between the boards.

Odd because the real wood flooring I have is water resistant (not water proof). That said, we had a washing machine that used to leak quite a bit from the soap tray and run onto the wood floor but hasnt damaged it at all. The wood has been treated with some aluminium oxide to make it more hard wearing and give it its water resistance.

Back
Top Bottom