Help with Ford Focus '05 Flashing Engine Warning Light

Soldato
Hi, just driven home from work and the car felt like it was starved of fuel (even though plenty of fuel)

2005 Ford Focus Petrol 1.6 Zetec Climate.

Engine Warning Light was flashing. Drive home was only 7 miles.

Car felt sluggish at times, Sort of like it was starved of fuel now and then. Bumpy kind of driving. I have no idea whatsoever when it comes to cars. Wondered if anyone on here could possibly give any ideas?

Thank you

Associate
Mine had the same symptoms a few weeks ago. Have the spark plugs+leads been changed recently? Guy who sold it to me said they had, turned out to be a lie and then that happened^ :[

I have a 2004 1.6 Focus Zetec

Soldato
OP
just have my local mechanic do me a service. Thats it.

Just been out to start it and it 'sounds' like also a wobbly (perhaps blowing) exhaust. When I turn the engine off, the exhaust sounds like it is hitting something when it is turned off maybe not hitting something, more metal against metal, like perhaps a exhaust support bit is loose.

Soldato
i had a similar problem. it was only firing on 3 cylinders. when you put the foot down nothing really happened.

changed the plugs and the distributor cap.

Soldato
OP
Can I look at the spark plugs and see if there not working before buying some to replace?

I am of work tomorrow. So prepared to sort this (If I can at all). Like I said. I know nothing about cars.

But I am sure I can change a spark plug, if that is what it could be.

Soldato
Why not limp it round to a garage on your day off and have them plug a code reader in. If its been flashing the light, a fault code will be stored.
This may well lead you, along with your other symptoms as to what is wrong with it. If not, you will be in a perfect place for further advice.
Why blindly chuck £30-40 quid at spark plugs before even investigating what's wrong.
Problem solving by simply following other posters similar symptoms is not best practice and may well cost you a load of money because half the time it's the blind leading the blind :D

Soldato
My mums 1.4 05 focus had a similar issue, engine management light flashing intermittently.
When i heard it idling you could hear it miss now and again.
New set of plugs and it was sorted.

Also £30-£40 for plugs, must be an expensive gold plated plugs.
I get £10.56 for them, will cost more to get a reader plugged in, unless you have a mate.

Soldato
OP
I do not know if any garages are open today to have a look. Or if Car auto part stores have code readers in them to help.

That is why I asked if looking at the spark plugs would i see anything obvious. I will ring a few in a while and see if any open.

Caporegime
Plugs can and do trigger engine management lights. On the fiesta years ago, the eml was flashing once and it was because one of the plugs was completely disintegrating and therefore not firing.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Okay Just taken of those rubber things that go over the spark plugs.

There seems to be a bit of water if you shine a torch down the holes to look at the top of the spark plugs.

Pulled all the spark plugs out, some were gunky, sort of brown rust coloured gunk on them, wiped them.

BUT on spark plug 4. I got it out but I think there is a problem,

WHAT has happened? looks like part of spark plug has broken? How do I get the other bit out ? HELP

what do i do now please.

Could this be the problem. or has perhaps this just happened with me removing the spark plug?

OH NO

Soldato
The water in there will most likely be from the washers, the water leaks past the jets and lands in the plug holes. Ford do a revised jet that has a rubber seal around it.
Cant help with that plug though.

Edit: On second thoughts it looks like the outer section with the threads on has broken away from the core.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
okay just shined a torch i have down the hole to the spark plug, the end of the torch is also magnetic and it is picking up a lot of gunk that is obviously magnetic.

still no idea how to get the threaded part of the spark plug out

Back
Top Bottom