Hereditary

Soldato
Very disappointed myself - I believe I was mis-sold the movie from the trailers. If they remove all the supernatural stuff and instead turned the film into a piece on people's mental health, it could be an interesting piece. Personally cannot see how it's been so highly rated.

Soldato
I left the cinema after watching with a WTF feeling, it just didn't really work for me, The annoying music that played when stuff was happening just did not fit the film, at first i even thought it was coming from another screen, i was going in with hopes of a new modern Exorcist type film, but was it very disappointing, Even had to watch a YT video which explained the film as to be honest it was not put across well in the story.

Man of Honour
Wow complete opposite for me - I absolutely loved it. Best horror film I’ve seen in years. Disturbing, jarring and masterfully paced. Bravo. Went in not knowing anything probably helped.

Man of Honour
I feel the need to flesh out my initial thoughts above.

This film just kept evolving and evolving into something new every 20 minutes or so. It was virtually impossible to sense where it was going. And the first ghost shot, with the grandma lingering in the darkness, was just masterful. Even thinking of it now gives me the willies. No music escalation and even a double take and the ghost is still there staring back. That set the tone of dread and it was sustained so well.

The scene with the mum at the group therapy made it clear this was going to be some horribly tragic tale and her acting was generally amazing (save for one bit - more later).

The girl dying - WTF! Surely one of the biggest left turns ever. Sure her going to hospital... but going out like that! My ****ing face when that happened!! Then when you saw the grisly details - holy poop. That was some seriously disturbing stuff.

Then the film proceeded on the basis that the mum was loosing her mind - the mental illness being hereditary. That story of her setting the kids on fire, yikes. And making a sculpture of the crash?! Was it all ghosts, or was it in their minds? And that dinner scene. Again, amazing acting.

And only THEN did it hint towards the film being actually supernatural with the first seance scene. From then on it just spiralled into lunacy and some of the most unsettling / creepy imagery I’ve ever seen.

I thought the film balanced the whole mental illness / supernatural amazingly well and, for the longest time, you couldn’t tell whether all of what we were seeing was real or all just hallucinations of the mum. Well, OK, in the end it went turbo supernatural but I really sympathised with the mum the whole way as she seemed like she was trying really hard to do the right thing.

The ending was largely unexplained, as all great creepy things should be. Was the cult real? Were they just ghosts too? Who knows. The whole section with the son waking up in the house alone was brutally creepy.

The chasing up into the attic and that piano / cheese wire scene... my god!!! That was the climax. After that, the rest was like a creepy / disturbing epilogue.

My only real gripe with the film was that how the dad died was a bit odd and bombastic - not really keeping in with the tone of the rest of the film. I would have preferred him to have a more subtle exit. But I feel like I can forgive that in the context of the whole. The acting was a bit off in this section too.

A second really minor gripe was the overuse of music at the very start of the film. But that soon faded away and I forgot all about it as I became engrossed.

So yeah, perhaps I saw a different film from the rest of you? Most engrossing film I’ve seen in years. Can’t believe some of you were bored!

If I can forgive my very minor gripes and embrace the possitive things - 10/10 :eek:

For reference, I gave the Babadook 8/10, IIRC.

Last edited:
Soldato
Very disappointed myself - I believe I was mis-sold the movie from the trailers. If they remove all the supernatural stuff and instead turned the film into a piece on people's mental health, it could be an interesting piece. Personally cannot see how it's been so highly rated.

Yea I wish they had kept with that a bit more, it would have made it even more disturbing, the mother was obviously spiraling downwards throughout the film.

Overall I enjoyed it, but left feeling like the end was a bit of a let down.

Caporegime
I am not sure what to think.

First thing first, the very very last scene, the little voice over thing in the end, unnecessary as it was pretty clear about 5mins before that what was going on, it gave it away when Toni Collette opened that book with the highlighted yellow passage with the King needing a male body. That last little voice over actually made me go WTF, and turned the whole thing a little comical.

Overall I didn't find the movie that scary at all, in fact, once the whole medium thing got going and I could see where it was heading with the whole spirit angle, the entire thing collapsed for me. It is like the reveal of the monster in most horror movies.

The best bit was when her she stuck her head out the window but as soon as she did, and then the dog in the road I saw that moment coming. I think have something in me that I literally prepare myself for every eventuality so I don't get scared or something but I don't think this film was that scary.

Sorry @Nitefly !

Caporegime
Omg I just saw this and out of the 3 of us I was bored to death, until it just went weird.
The other 2 thought it was great.

There was quite a lot of laughter at the end, including me.

I must say I liked it overall on reflection, very pretty and very good cinematography.

One of the weirdest films I've seen in a long time. Certainly a lot of discussion in the car home.

Weird. I can see all of nightfly's points but I'm certainly more in the Raymond Lin camp.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Omg I just saw this and out of the 3 of us I was bored to death, until it just went weird.
The other 2 thought it was great.

There was quite a lot of laughter at the end, including me.

I must say I liked it overall on reflection, very pretty and very good cinematography.

One of the weirdest films I've seen in a long time. Certainly a lot of discussion in the car home.

Weird. I can see all of nightfly's points but I'm certainly more in the Raymond Lin camp.
Yeah I completely appreciate the bemusement at the end scene - I think everyone was a bit ‘WTF lol’ at that. I laughed out loud at how odd it was too but to me it didn’t lessen my enjoyment of it.in fact, I quite enjoyed the jarring shift in tone much like the end of Get Out (a completely different sort of shift, mind!)

Soldato
Hereditary, strange one this as the first three quarters of the movie was very good with great acting and music, really good stuff. The last 10 minutes however was complete nonsense, real shame . If you watch it turn it off at the end and draw your own conclusions :D

I sort of agree with this post; they could have also trimmed the movie a little - the scene where the mum was begging the husband to throw the book on the fire went on for ages, so much so the Mrs pipes up "ffs throw the book!"

Also, the effects, especially with the flies from the attic, what was all that about, it looked liked 70's effects where the flies were superimposed from another movie, looked really crap and took us out of the moment. Also with the dad and the flames - not very impressive effects.

There were a few creepy parts near the end ie body in the rafters and the attic headbanging - seriously creepy, but the smiling ghosts, headless floating bodies etc, just wtf? Really spoiled it for me.

There have been many, many, movies where the goal of the evil spirit is to possess a human form, so I thought it was a great idea that the baddies actually won, but now i see why they haven't done it in the past; the actual execution looks pretty crap.

Trim it down, sort of the floating bodies and effects and i think it could have been a much better movie.

Back
Top Bottom