Hesitant with another OLED - Should I go with QLED?

Associate
Hi all,

I'm going to relocate my current TV (LG OLED C7V) into another room and therefore need a suitable replacement.

I also have an Xbox series X that I want to use on whichever TV I get next.

Here's my dilemma, my C7 has a small amount of burn-in, which by the position and size I assume is either the Sky Q or Netflix progress bar. With games having static HUD elements I'm concerned that I'll get burn-in again and more significant.

My choices are:

* Go with another OLED, but get the John Lewis cover (£150 extra) which covers burn in - I'm thinking the C1 as it's ~£1000 less than the 2022 model
* Go with a QLED, and not worry about burn-in, something like the QE65QN94A

Would a 2021 QLED be a downgrade from my 2017 OLED?
Are the OLED anti-burn in mitigation improvements since my model improved enough I don't need to worry?

Thanks,

Soldato
IMO always going to be one of those things with OLED's, some get burn in, others not so much.

I gather since the 2019 panels, they have improved a decent amount in terms of burn in. Until literally few days ago when I replaced my C9 65" I had put approx. 2k hours on it with games of which many had HUD's no issues with no burn in. I replaced it the a G2 OLED. I also have purchased a 42" C2 OLED now being used exclusively for my monitor. I suppose point being, personally I am not too concerned by Burn in. Make some tweaks and it should be okay. Built in apps will automatically go to screensaver on the C1. There are also some settings like pixel shift and dimmer with logo protection, I personally leave those on also.

As you say, your getting the JL burn in warranty anyways so will be further piece of mind.

TLDR, personally I am content with OLED's for gaming myself and burn in not a big concern. Not saying it cannot happen, but with the JL warranty, would be my pick IMO.

Soldato
Hi all,

I'm going to relocate my current TV (LG OLED C7V) into another room and therefore need a suitable replacement.

Here's my dilemma, my C7 has a small amount of burn-in, which by the position and size I assume is either the Sky Q or Netflix progress bar. With games having static HUD elements I'm concerned that I'll get burn-in again and more significant.

My choices are:

* Go with another OLED, but get the John Lewis cover (£150 extra) which covers burn in - I'm thinking the C1 as it's ~£1000 less than the 2022 model

Are the OLED anti-burn in mitigation improvements since my model improved enough I don't need to worry?

Thanks,

I would suggest you go try out some of those other TVs for yourself. But, after trying out those, don't be surprised if you find that you prefer the picture on your current OLED, even with a little burn in.

The newer OLED models have been constantly improving in that regard too.

Gaming on an OLED TV is amazing.

Soldato
Once you go OLED I can't see how you'd go back to anything else, things have improved in terms of burn in protection since your 2017 set.

Also if you game, to get the lowest input lag a lot of QLED TV's will disable or diminish local dimming which will give even worse performance.

Man of Honour
Burn in seems pretty hit and miss these days - I've seen monitors and TVs which use panels which shouldn't suffer image retention issues with it even lately like some gaming monitors :( ! and people getting very different results with the same display despite similar use.

Personally I'm quite impressed with the Philips QLED offerings - though they can have a bit of a mixture of positives and negatives.

Soldato
Hi all,

My choices are:

Thanks,
Just put of interest, do you watch netflix via the sky q box or direct from the tvs built in app?

Associate
Seeing as you are gaming, I can recommend the Sony X90J. 4K 120HZ with FALD and VRR. You could get a 75" X90J for cheaper than a 65"C1. No danger of burn in.

I compared the X90J to the C1 and I thought the C1 looked really dim and lifeless in comparison.

Soldato
Thanks a lot for the reply chaps.

Built in TV App.
The trick is when pausing any built in TV app on an LG oled to press back on the remote, this drops the content screen (progress bar etc) back to simply the paused image. Then after a minute the fireworks kick in. This works on my C9 and B7. On sky same thing drop that pause banner.

A mid teir FALD tv doesn't hold up against an Oled no matter the image. As soon as a night sceen SDR or HDR and letterbox bars appear it looks terrible once your used to an Oled.

Soldato
Seeing as you are gaming, I can recommend the Sony X90J. 4K 120HZ with FALD and VRR. You could get a 75" X90J for cheaper than a 65"C1. No danger of burn in.

I compared the X90J to the C1 and I thought the C1 looked really dim and lifeless in comparison.
X90J reaches peak brightness of 550-800 nits, depending on a number of factors that we will cover in more detail in the picture quality section. It covers 89% of DCI-P3 and 64% of Rec.2020 – about the same as last year's X900H / XH90. Sony's high-end LCD TVs leave something to be desired in the area of color gamut – it is simply not good enough.
Taken from here https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1624852600

Not sure what you were doing wrong if the C1 looked dim and lifeless, were you using vivid mode on the Sony or something?

Also sounds like it has a low number of dimming zones, horrible blooming and not great peak brightness, nothing that would compare to a good OLED.

Associate
Taken from here https://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1624852600

Not sure what you were doing wrong if the C1 looked dim and lifeless, were you using vivid mode on the Sony or something?

Also sounds like it has a low number of dimming zones, horrible blooming and not great peak brightness, nothing that would compare to a good OLED.

I have compared Sony FALD TV's twice now to the C1.

First time was last year when I compared the 75" X900H to the 65" C1 in John Lewis. I chose the X900H because it just looked better to me. The colors just popped more.

I ended up returning the X900H because of a software bug which I was pretty upset with Sony about. Even though I was upset with Sony the only 2 TV's that met my expectations of a TV was the 75" X90J and the 65" C1. Comparing them in both Richer Sounds and John Lewis, the Sony set just looked better to me. It was also about £500 cheaper, bigger and with no risk of burn in. It has also just got even better with the latest update adding VRR with FALD.

I have voted with my wallet twice and for me the Sony FALD TV's were the superior experience.

Soldato
I got the Sony x90 and two oleds the oleds hands down beat the x90. HDR just looks terrible on it. Also the bloom is distracting, it was fine as a bedroom TV but once I got my 65" c9 it got demoted to the kids room.

Soldato
OLED wins in image quality, QLED to my eye at least just makes the color more vivid, saturated and vibrant. Actually so much so that it looks unnatural, i turn down the color on my QLED TV because the colors are insane.

TOW

TOW

Associate
Hi all,

My choices are:

Thanks,
From 2019, the burn-in issues reduced dramatically... my 2017 had similar issues of image retention.

I gamed a lot more on my 2019 OLED & had 0 burn in issues.

My experience is confirmed by what I saw on other forums about it.

I haven't gamed on the 2021 Evo panel yet.

Soldato
OLED wins in image quality, QLED to my eye at least just makes the color more vivid, saturated and vibrant. Actually so much so that it looks unnatural, i turn down the color on my QLED TV because the colors are insane.

Better colour Volume, WOLED gets compromised when boosting colours as the brightness is in part due to the white sub-pixel which dilutes things. Saw this when moving from my Q9FN to C9 OLED. Fortunately QD-OLED brings those advantages to OLED.

Before I get negged, not ragging on OLED, have a G2 and C2 (typing this on C2) and C9, just highlighting other techs do have there Pro's!

Soldato
Better colour Volume, WOLED gets compromised when boosting colours as the brightness is in part due to the white sub-pixel which dilutes things. Saw this when moving from my Q9FN to C9 OLED. Fortunately QD-OLED brings those advantages to OLED.

Before I get negged, not ragging on OLED, have a G2 and C2 (typing this on C2) and C9, just highlighting other techs do have there Pro's!
Using an accurate picture setting you shouldn't really see much difference, the issue is Samsung boost colour saturation for 'pop' as that's what sells TV's.

Soldato
I have compared Sony FALD TV's twice now to the C1.

First time was last year when I compared the 75" X900H to the 65" C1 in John Lewis. I chose the X900H because it just looked better to me. The colors just popped more.

I ended up returning the X900H because of a software bug which I was pretty upset with Sony about. Even though I was upset with Sony the only 2 TV's that met my expectations of a TV was the 75" X90J and the 65" C1. Comparing them in both Richer Sounds and John Lewis, the Sony set just looked better to me. It was also about £500 cheaper, bigger and with no risk of burn in. It has also just got even better with the latest update adding VRR with FALD.

I have voted with my wallet twice and for me the Sony FALD TV's were the superior experience.
So you've literally viewed them both in a shop, that's hardly a good comparison as you don't know how they have been set up, I'll take lots of professional reviews over seeing a couple of TV's in a shop.

Soldato
Burn in seems pretty hit and miss these days - I've seen monitors and TVs which use panels which shouldn't suffer image retention issues with it even lately like some gaming monitors :( ! and people getting very different results with the same display despite similar use.

Personally I'm quite impressed with the Philips QLED offerings - though they can have a bit of a mixture of positives and negatives.

OLED is organic, that means there will always be panel to panel variance, one may suffer from burn in while another doesn't

Soldato
Using an accurate picture setting you shouldn't really see much difference, the issue is Samsung boost colour saturation for 'pop' as that's what sells TV's.

Yeah both have problems

LG is starting to head the wrong direction this year, the issue has become more visible on the LG G2. Boosting brightness means boosting white light which is causing some images to look more blown out at higher brightness levels on WOLED. I personally feel that WOLED capped to 700nits looks better than the 1000 nit LG G2 because of what happens at over 700nits on image quality.

And just so we're clear, when I say "blown out" what I'm referring to is where some details, for examples the edges on contrasts objects is lost due to the brightness - such as sand on a beach scene looking less grainy and visible due to brightness from the panel removing the contrast on edges; same happens with shadows in high brightness scenes where shadows become less visible on edges due to brightness issues

Samsung QDOLED has a different problem, the panel can produce more accurate colors at higher brightness without the blowing out issue that LG has but Samsung messes up HDR content by using a dynamic tone algorithm that forces the panel to over saturated some images and crush other images in the name of contrast against creators intent.

Samsung has now fixed this issue by adding a film maker mode to their s95b that helps for movies but unfortunately when connnected to a PC or game console the TV still has the same problems. Sony's software is much better so produces the most accurate images but unfortunately they use an old processor chipset which results in fewer gaming focused features and higher input latency

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom