Hi-Setup Spec needed.

Suspended
smoove said:
So if DACS are in CD players, why is there a need to buy a seperate one?

Also whats a tube amp do?

Seperate DAC could be superior to that of a CD player. Also if you have several sources put all the money into the DAC. Rather than buying "Audiophile" components each. ie if you have a CD player, DVD player, Squeezebox, DAB, DVB, Sky and a PC it makes sense to buy a good DAC so the analogue sections on the components are irrelevent, you just send digital audio to the DAC for digital to analogue conversion.

I have a DAC, and have used my iriver, CD player and Squeezebox into it.

Soldato
smoove said:
So if DACS are in CD players, why is there a need to buy a seperate one?

Also whats a tube amp do?
Squiffy has explained it well. It's a bit like onboard graphics, does the job, but there is better out there :)

A tube amp is a valve amp, and it uses different technology to a transistor amp to produce the sound. I love the sound of valve amps, some people dont.

Associate
OP
Ive been on little trip to the shops this morning, and i managed to get listen to a couple of different makes, they wernt busy so i they swapped one or two things over, unfortunatly i couldnt afford the models i was shown but i noted which makes i thought i liked the sound of :)

so amp wise i think i likes marantz the best which is quite handy as a theres a Marantz PM 66SE KI finishing today online so il have a pop at that, im guessing older versions will have the same characteristics.

speakers i was amazed at the variations, i liked the kef speakers the best, i like quite bassy sounds (i know thts not music is about) but i liked the how deep they sounded. However they were one of the super dupa models that would have to put myself on the game to afford, so im gonna have another couple of trips out to see if i can find any other kef models, and c if the character is in all the speakers, ive seen some q35's for £145 not sure if thats a good price or not, or q35.2's for £99 im leaning towards getting floorstanders as im getting nice big room in a couple of months in my new flat :) also heard some mission speakers but i didnt like the sound :( i took along some cd's and i liked them better for my electro stuff compared to the kef but they sound a bit to clean cut for rock, but thats just my opinion

cables i didnt ask about il leave that for another day.

Last edited:
Soldato
bryanlaycock said:
Ive been on little trip to the shops this morning, and i managed to get listen to a couple of different makes, they wernt busy so i they swapped one or two things over, unfortunatly i couldnt afford the models i was shown but i noted which makes i thought i liked the sound of :)

so amp wise i think i likes marantz the best which is quite handy as a theres a Marantz PM 66SE KI finishing today online so il have a pop at that, im guessing older versions will have the same characteristics.

speakers i was amazed at the variations, i liked the kef speakers the best, i like quite bassy sounds (i know thts not music is about) but i liked the how deep they sounded. However they were one of the super dupa models that would have to put myself on the game to afford, so im gonna have another couple of trips out to see if i can find any other kef models, and c if the character is in all the speakers, ive seen some q35's for £145 not sure if thats a good price or not, or q35.2's for £99 im leaning towards getting floorstanders as im getting nice big room in a couple of months in my new flat :) also heard some mission speakers but i didnt like the sound :( i took along some cd's and i liked them better for my electro stuff compared to the kef but they sound a bit to clean cut for rock, but thats just my opinion

cables i didnt ask about il leave that for another day.
if you've listened to new stuff out of budget you're going to have to go for some higher end second hand stuff then.

The PM66KI is a decent amp - the KI bit is very important! If you miss out on it, try to stretch to a 6010KI - bit of an improvement in sound. Either will be great for the money though!

I'll do some reading up on KEF speakers for you this evening - what are the models you demo'd and loved? I remember being quite impressed by KEFs that I heard at a show..

What other speakers did you try apart from missions and kefs? Be careful listening to speaker too far out of your budget ;)

Suspended
If you like the Kef sound I would skip the cheaper Q range and go for RDM Monitor/Reference range. You can pickup second hand speakers from that range but slightly over your budget, probably £200 for a pair of standmounts.

Associate
OP
The mission speakers were M35I's i think and the kefs were IQ5's i hadnt phoned up so i was quite happy that i got to listen to anything to be honest :) and the amp is defonitly a KI :)

edit: also listened to studio 10's tdl or summit, just wanted to compare the opposite neds of the scale to c the difference value makes. one word cheap lol not just in price either and tryed some kef reference (didnt catch the number tho think it began with a 2

i can see y people get addicted to this, i loved the expensive ones so much and but didnt liken pretending i could afford them, hate being a student :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Associate
OP
thanks committed :) i think i defonitly liked the kef speakers il try and go out nd try some more stuff, if i get this amp i will take it to shops. then i wil defonitly know how each will sound. plus i might be ble to pick up some tips on setting it up for my music taste

The first link looks pretty promising, i quite like the look of kefs aswell although thats not important really.

whats the deal with speaker wire it seems to be a very importnt part, is this another personal taste thing or is there some out right winners?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd spend more on the individual components first and then upgrade your speakerwire a bit later when you have the cash. Good cabling cant make up for crap components.

I have Nordost stuff and I really like it. Then again, if you have lots of cat5 cable sitting around, it makes excellent speaker cable for nothing!

Soldato
bryanlaycock said:
Well i missed out on that amp :( never mind il keep looking for something, wait until something good comes up. Il just get some basic wire then :)
Get some cat 5 cable if you can. I'll dig you out a link on how to get the best out of it. I've heard it against my nordost stuff and there was little difference. I've just been too lazy to do anything with my CAT5 cable!

Oh and man - you shoulda bid higher on that amp!

Suspended
Problem with ebay is moronic bidders, I was keeping a eye on a new Brooks B17 Special. It's available new for £31 including free delivery. It sold for £31 + £4.50 delivery.

I doubt you'll get a bargain anymore, probably have to watch dozens of auctions before you do eventually get something.

Soldato
squiffy said:
Problem with ebay is moronic bidders, I was keeping a eye on a new Brooks B17 Special. It's available new for £31 including free delivery. It sold for £31 + £4.50 delivery.

I doubt you'll get a bargain anymore, probably have to watch dozens of auctions before you do eventually get something.
The amp went for £102, a cracking price for that amp.

squiffy said:
Model 1.1's would be. And far superior to the lesser Q range, I know I upgraded.
Link him to some of them then ;)

Back
Top Bottom