High FPS But Not Smooth.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
What will this do?

Yeah I can do that and see what I find.

I do have the 3070 founders edition. Really? That doesn't fill me with confidence haha. I did have this issue with my old card though so don't think it's card related but could be wrong.
The power limits are quite conservative on the 3070 it seems, but like the previous post was suggesting, ctrl+F is the overclock scanner tool in Afterburner. Run that and it'll generate a reasonable overclock curve for the card. What you can then do is drag the clocks down and in essence "undervolt" the card. Whilst it seems counterintuitive, it can actually result in a more stable card and overclock as it doesn't draw as much power and can still maintain good perform without slowdown.

Associate
OP
Have you checked Gsync is working correctly, by using something like https://www.nvidia.com.tr/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

Right, so I've just downloaded and tested this. It wont even left me choose the GSYNC option in the demo, only lets me go between VSYNC and NO VSYNC. Also, just launched in to DayZ with the GSYNC indicator ticked in the NVidia CP and there's no indicator in game. Something seems not to be working properly with GSYNC?

Soldato
You might need to enable a setting in your monitors config menu, adaptive sync on etc.

Will need to be connected via DP cable also I think.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
You might need to enable a setting in your monitors config menu, adaptive sync on etc.

When I bring up the monitor menu it doesn't say anything about GSYNC or adaptive sync, have looked many times. When I just turned on my PC a message from Windows came up in bottom right corner saying "GSYNC display detected", that doesn't necessarily mean it's connected though.

Is connected via DP.

Last edited:
Soldato
What else do you have running on your PC? Which virus-checker are you using? Something is blipping the CPU? Or are you running out of RAM or VRAM?

Associate
OP
The power limits are quite conservative on the 3070 it seems, but like the previous post was suggesting, ctrl+F is the overclock scanner tool in Afterburner. Run that and it'll generate a reasonable overclock curve for the card. What you can then do is drag the clocks down and in essence "undervolt" the card. Whilst it seems counterintuitive, it can actually result in a more stable card and overclock as it doesn't draw as much power and can still maintain good perform without slowdown.

Will look in to this next once I know for sure GSYNC is working.

What else do you have running on your PC? Which virus-checker are you using? Something is blipping the CPU? Or are you running out of RAM or VRAM?

Nothing really. Have chrome sometimes on my second monitor. Would say it could be the second monitor but had the same issues when I only had 1 monitor. Just using Windows virus checker. 16gb ram and a 3070 so should be ok?

Soldato
If you load up a game with gsync then it should say in the monitors OSD if it's running gsync check around 9:20 in this vid.

Associate
OP
Put Task Manager on your second monitor with the CPU graph active and see if it peaks when you get a frame-rate drop. Then have the Process view open and see what is using the CPU.

Just had a little go and everything seems to be ok to my eyes. Pretty consistent. No proper spikes on the CPU tab.

It's early days but I have just turned on "Variable Refresh Rate" in Windows graphics settings and launched DayZ. Probably the smoothest it's played in ages. GSYNC indicator was working as well.

Associate
OP
I don't want to speak to soon but it looks like turning on "Variable Refresh Rate" has drastically improved everything. Everything feels a hell of a lot smoother now. I'm guessing GSYNC was not activating because that was turned off. How the hell did I miss it?

Associate
OP
So yeah, I did speak to soon. Didn't last long did it, maybe it was just a placebo?

Anyway, I'm pulling my hair out trying to fix this, just don't know what to do.

Since we last spoke I've enabled BAR in BIOS, disabled High Precision Event Timer and even disconnected the USB 3 cable on motherboard as that fixed it for someone.

It's like I can feel every little frame drop, even if it goes from 140-130, I can see it, there's a tiny stutter, just not smooth at all.

So down about it.

Associate
@BeadyRoller it sounds like your G-Sync is not actually engaged properly, try going into Nvidia control panel, firstly in "display tab" set your resolution and refresh rate to 144hz, then in the "3d settings" tab change it from fixed refresh into G-sync mode, next go to the "set up G-Sync" tab and make sure "enable G-Sync" is ticked.
also in the "3d settings" tab, you will need to set "low latency mode" to Ultra, and set a suitable "max frame rate" of something like 142

PS you would notice some improvement last time by enabling the fixed refresh but G-sync is better, the two shouldn't be working at the same time.

Associate
OP
@BeadyRoller it sounds like your G-Sync is not actually engaged properly, try going into Nvidia control panel, firstly in "display tab" set your resolution and refresh rate to 144hz, then in the "3d settings" tab change it from fixed refresh into G-sync mode, next go to the "set up G-Sync" tab and make sure "enable G-Sync" is ticked.
also in the "3d settings" tab, you will need to set "low latency mode" to Ultra, and set a suitable "max frame rate" of something like 142

PS you would notice some improvement last time by enabling the fixed refresh but G-sync is better, the two shouldn't be working at the same time.

All of this is already setup DK. Always has been. Nothing changes.

bJN

bJN

Soldato
Just a thought, have you tried disabling windows optimizations? Find the game executable, right click properties, compatibility. Check what options are enabled / disabled and disable full screen optimizations and see if that runs better? It seems to me more latency related rather than actual FPS.

Associate
Hi guys, had this problem for a while now and it's driving me crazy.
I have high FPS in most games but even at high FPS the games don't feel smooth, it's hard to explain really. I may have 120FPS but it feels more like 40-50, especially when looking around. It's sort of like screen tearing but not really and I wouldn't really class them as stutters either, it's just not... smooth, feels choppy. I don't know how else to describe it. Sorry I can't be more precise.

I've recently upgraded my PC to a 5600x and 3070 graphics card and the problems still persist.

Rest of my specs are:

B550 A-Pro Motherboard
16gb 3200mhz Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM
Corsair RM750 Power Supply
1TB 970 EVO M.2 Drive.

I even have a G-SYNC monitor, it's a DELL S2716DG 144hz. I have noticed that if the FPS goes higher than 144hz it goes really choppy which is weird.

Things I have tried:

Updated the BIOS.
Put V-SYNC on in Nvidia CP and off in the actual game.
Downloaded RivaTuner to cap FPS so it never dips below a certain number.
Lowered my monitor refresh rate to 120hz - funnily this seemed to have a positive effect but if it dips below 120 it starts to feel choppy again - this was alongside VSYNC being on in Nvidia CP by the way.
Checked RAM is running on XMP.
Monitored frametime using RivaTuner - the spikes are definitely correlating with choppiness on the screen.

So yeah, I'm at a loss and it's really getting me down that I've spent all this money and it's not smooth. Really frustrating.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Appreciate any help, cheers.
sup, did you fix that? Cuz I had(sold PC) literally the same issue, now in CIS region a lot of players having the same issue and no solutions. We tried to change CPU/GPU, and other staff, now we think that the problem is in electricity, is seems smoother when its night) Try to test it not at home) I also want to buy a new pc but I’m afraid that it’s gonna happen again.

Back
Top Bottom