• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

High idle temps on 5950x

Associate
Hi,

Built an AMD system for first time in 15 odd years so struggling a bit with figuring out what's going on.

Setup with a H115 Platinum with 4 fans in Push Pull config and for this just set to full speed always and I'm seeing idle temps in the low 60s in Windows, the low 40s when just sat in the bios, the water temp according to iCue is low to mid 20s (the ambient temp in the room is around 25 so doesn't seem like that's struggling !)

I've tried reapplying with some Artic MX4 paste instead of the default Corsair stuff and that doesn't seem to make a difference, also not getting great scores in Cinebench R23 (23383 MC, 1515 SC) with temps maxing out at 70-72 and 25c for the cooler temp.Tried with both 2x 8GB and 4x8GB ram and this is all on the Asus TUF b550-m, (the non wifi version)

The only thing I can think of is I've seated the cooler wrong but it seems pretty tight and the paste looks like it's spread properly...

Anyone else seeing anything like this ? Any help would be much appreciated !

5lGzHTw.png

Thanks.

Caporegime
Your minimum voltages aren't dropping to normal levels to my eye. This looks like a config issue rather than cooling. Had HWInfo been running a while or had you just turned it on so its not captured idle Vcore?

Are you on the latest BIOS? Overclocked or PBO on? Tried a full BIOS reset?

Associate
tbh makes me think about mine.
under a custom loop on a r23 run it will max out at 86'c locked to 4.5 1.3v. I was just under the impression these are abit warm. Gaming wise it sits in the high 60's low 70's and then idles in the high 30's

Associate
OP
Your minimum voltages aren't dropping to normal levels to my eye. This looks like a config issue rather than cooling. Had HWInfo been running a while or had you just turned it on so its not captured idle Vcore?

Are you on the latest BIOS? Overclocked or PBO on? Tried a full BIOS reset?

Had HWInfo on a couple of minutes at least, latest ASUS bios (which is a beta) PBO off and no overclock (I've got the DOCP settings on now but didn't when I took that screenshot and it's not made a difference) Not tried a full reset yet, even when fresh installed I was getting 40c idle in the bios though before I'd even installed windows...

Associate
Somethings is going on yeah.. I'm idling on 44's.. is the cooler well seated in the cpu and with enough pressure? but if you re-seated it might not be that.. maybe bios configs..

Caporegime
Hi,

Built an AMD system for first time in 15 odd years so struggling a bit with figuring out what's going on.

Setup with a H115 Platinum with 4 fans in Push Pull config and for this just set to full speed always and I'm seeing idle temps in the low 60s in Windows, the low 40s when just sat in the bios, the water temp according to iCue is low to mid 20s (the ambient temp in the room is around 25 so doesn't seem like that's struggling !)

I've tried reapplying with some Artic MX4 paste instead of the default Corsair stuff and that doesn't seem to make a difference, also not getting great scores in Cinebench R23 (23383 MC, 1515 SC) with temps maxing out at 70-72 and 25c for the cooler temp.Tried with both 2x 8GB and 4x8GB ram and this is all on the Asus TUF b550-m, (the non wifi version)

The only thing I can think of is I've seated the cooler wrong but it seems pretty tight and the paste looks like it's spread properly...

Anyone else seeing anything like this ? Any help would be much appreciated !

5lGzHTw.png
Thanks.
If you are idling at 60, then there is a good chance you have one or more background apps using up CPU Cycles causing the higher temps.

Try disabling all your startup programs in Task Manager, then do a Diagnostic Startup in Windows 10.

See what effect that has on idle temps. Get rid of NZXT Cam, that's probably not helping. Use HWINFO64 instead.

What power plan are you using? You should be using Windows 10 Build 20H2 and Windows default Balanced power profile.

Head to this screen and set it to Best energy savings, this will see a lower CPU voltage under idle conditions.

wVKLrAz.png

Check your motherboard is on the latest BIOS, updates are being released by some vendors on a weekly or daily basis.

In the BIOS, look for the PBO section and set that to enabled, scalar to x10, set auto overclock to 200Mhz, and set the PPT, TDC and EDC values to 300 or the highest they will go.

Now test Cinebench again, with minimal background apps running and the above all done.

under a custom loop on a r23 run it will max out at 86'c locked to 4.5 1.3v. I was just under the impression these are abit warm. Gaming wise it sits in the high 60's low 70's and then idles in the high 30's
Those temps are normal and expected. Cinebench, with PBO on, will go up into the mid - high 80's.

Associate
I finally got my 5950X yesterday. I was very apprehensive of installing it as it forced me to undertake an overhaul of my custom loop and fan layout which had been overdue for some time. I had been hoping to kill two birds with one stone and leave it till I could get a 6800XT/6900XT but that looks like it's not happening any time soon. Any way, job done.

Two thing surprised me:

1) High idle temps, approx 45-50 idle with a 480mm rad. Not sure how reviewers were getting idle temps in the 30's with ambient 22.
2) Memory overclocking does not seem to be as good as on my 3800x. I had a lot of trouble getting 3733 to work which was easy on the old chip and anything higher on the FCLK it won't post. Hoping this improves with bios updates.

Caporegime
I finally got my 5950X yesterday. I was very apprehensive of installing it as it forced me to undertake an overhaul of my custom loop and fan layout which had been overdue for some time. I had been hoping to kill two birds with one stone and leave it till I could get a 6800XT/6900XT but that looks like it's not happening any time soon. Any way, job done.

Two thing surprised me:

1) High idle temps, approx 45-50 idle with a 480mm rad. Not sure how reviewers were getting idle temps in the 30's with ambient 22.
2) Memory overclocking does not seem to be as good as on my 3800x. I had a lot of trouble getting 3733 to work which was easy on the old chip and anything higher on the FCLK it won't post. Hoping this improves with bios updates.
See my post above, i idle at high 20's - low 30's with a few browser tabs open (no videos playing) using an Arctic II 420MM AIO as intake.
DIdmZaB.png

Associate
Left this space heater on chugging away at Prime95 overnight - celsius+ 280 push/pull

aBYb5RS.png

There was an infographic posted by AMD in a video a couple of weeks ago - I can't find it now, I believe these parts will throttle at 95c

Soldato
You did put your fans the right way round didnt you ?

70/72c for Cinebench is okay and suggest something else is causing the "idle" temp to rise as in your PC is not actually idle.

See what effect that has on idle temps. Get rid of NZXT Cam, that's probably not helping. Use HWINFO64 instead.

Cam will be fine I used it for years its one of the better pieces of software and I never had a problem with it. Need it anyway for the NZXT hardware control.

Caporegime
The issue looks to be the idle voltage not dropping, minimum voltage is just under 1.4v which is very high unless anything changed in Zen 3. Should be dropping to around 1.1V.

Soldato
few things i found with my 3950x - are you running icue or other rgb software? That tends to use one of the cores quite a lot and stops it from dropping down, my system with icue running would regularly run between 50-60c at "idle".

The other thing is obviously if your voltage is on auto it will bounce about a lot so the temps do fluctuate massively, if you try clocktuner on your chip (dunno if 59xx are supported or not) you will see the temps drop massively due to the vcore - my 3950x i was seeing in the 30's at idle and late 40's gaming and doing stuff when before it was all over the place.

Associate
OP
Yup thanks for the advice folks certainly seems to have been voltage related, downloaded Ryzen Master and it was never dropping below 1.4 on that
I rolled back to the latest stable bios and getting 35ish c at idle in Windows now, hit 80 when on Cinebench but got ~27000 which is much closer to what I was expecting and idle voltage is averaging around 0.5v now !
Ran P95 for 20 minutes and hit low 80s as well so everything looks stable now at least.

Associate
OP
What BIOS did you roll back to? and which one was you using?

I was on Version 1216 and rolled back to Version 1202

Still think they've got some work to do given the slightly lower than expected benchmarks and when running the memory in DOCP I was seeing some instabilities (though that could be my memory obviously)

Annoying that there's not a wider choice of mATX boards for the AM4 really.

Associate
These are my temps under water Heatkiller pro AMD 4.5ghz all core on a Gigabyte arous extreme M/B at Idle. I have been pleased with the temps, I get to 74c under load of 10 runs of R23 bench I can run 4.8 all core but require 1.34v at 4.5 its only 1.27 so i stick to 4.5ghz for 24/7

coin flip generator

Associate
Not sure how relevant but I've noticed on my board (Aorus Master) as I raise the LLC my temps creep up too - what level of LLC has been recommended / used in Zen 2 systems under OC?

Soldato

That's not great, all the reviews I saw showed the 5950x doing like 4.7ghz all core with 1.3v, maybe you got unlucky.

I don't have mine yet. My 3950x is all core 4.4ghz with 1.31v on a 360mm AIO - in games it's 40-50c, idle 20-30c and cinebench multi thread up to 83c

Back
Top Bottom