• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

High idle temps on 5950x

Caporegime
That's not great, all the reviews I saw showed the 5950x doing like 4.7ghz all core with 1.3v, maybe you got unlucky.

I don't have mine yet. My 3950x is all core 4.4ghz with 1.31v on a 360mm AIO - in games it's 40-50c, idle 20-30c and cinebench multi thread up to 83c
Have you tried a 5950x? Mine is the same as Andys.
Moved from a 3950X here that ran cooler, but the 5950x can draw more power and perform better under PBO than my 3950x so it seems acceptable to me.

Soldato
Have you tried a 5950x? Mine is the same as Andys.
Moved from a 3950X here that ran cooler, but the 5950x can draw more power and perform better under PBO than my 3950x so it seems acceptable to me.

I'm still waiting for mine, ordered nearly a month ago now

Soldato
Not sure how relevant but I've noticed on my board (Aorus Master) as I raise the LLC my temps creep up too - what level of LLC has been recommended / used in Zen 2 systems under OC?
LLC modes usually the smaller the mode number the higher the Volts are. Depend on motherboard manufacturer each has different level for compensation.
For ASUS and MSI I believe L3 is really the one L2 will give it even more juice which will cause chips to over compensate and therefore run hot. Where less ie L4 there will be more droop.

Soldato
One thing I've noticed is HWinfo etc report higher than Ryzen Master apparently they report the highest on a single core whereas RM is an average. Speedfan on the other hand is usually lower.

Associate
I have an issue where by my 5950x won't lower clocks and idle properly unless I choose power saver mode in Windows. With power saver it will drop to mid 30s in performance mode it Hovers around 60 at about 4.8 -5 GHz. In ryzen master it shows the cores going to sleep when not in use it's just the frequency just doesn't drop unless in power saver mode.

Soldato
I have an issue where by my 5950x won't lower clocks and idle properly unless I choose power saver mode in Windows. With power saver it will drop to mid 30s in performance mode it Hovers around 60 at about 4.8 -5 GHz. In ryzen master it shows the cores going to sleep when not in use it's just the frequency just doesn't drop unless in power saver mode.
I tried putting mine in low power mode and when I did after a few minutes my keyboard would stop responding

Associate
Hey guys, long time lurker on this forum but I signed up just to reply to this post.
So I had the same issues as you folks, my CPU was idling in the mid 40's with 4700-4900mhz, this is without even chrome open.
I found this post on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jsbdbi/5950x_idle_temps_whats_hot_and_whats_not/

Basically you just need to disable this option in your bios, under the CPU settings 'Core Performance Boost'.
It's a bit tucked away for my bios in a submenu of a submenu but it should be there.
I'm now idling 3400mhz with 29-30 degree Celsius temps.

Hope this helped!

Associate
https://ibb.co/RP2b1Pr
Hey guys, long time lurker on this forum but I signed up just to reply to this post.
So I had the same issues as you folks, my CPU was idling in the mid 40's with 4700-4900mhz, this is without even chrome open.
I found this post on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/jsbdbi/5950x_idle_temps_whats_hot_and_whats_not/

Basically you just need to disable this option in your bios, under the CPU settings 'Core Performance Boost'.
It's a bit tucked away for my bios in a submenu of a submenu but it should be there.
I'm now idling 3400mhz with 29-30 degree Celsius temps.

Hope this helped!

Having tested this with Time Spy I can see the CPU just sits at 3400mhz, so although quiet it's not the solution I think most of us are looking for.
I have however found that if I change my Windows power plan from Ultimate Performance to Balanced my temps come down without having to disable the core boost in the bios.

This seems like the issue, try opening Windows power plan, select 'Change advanced power settings', expand the list for 'Processor power management' and update the value 'Minimum processor state' to 0%.

This will allow your CPU to scale up and down it's power usage when needed and you should see idle CPU temps drop immediately.

RP2b1Pr

RSmYq1H

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom