Hiking, backpacking, trekking, mountaineering...

Soldato
Always wanted to do the Camino de Santiago - did a virtual version of it last year.

Cycled the West Highland Way a few years ago - was excellent.
What about the Pennine Way. That's one id love to do but lack the time and probably motivation need a friend willing to do it.

Soldato
What about the Pennine Way. That's one id love to do but lack the time and probably motivation need a friend willing to do it.
My other half did the first section last week, 5 days worth anyway. Was a bit of a nightmare with calving cows apparently, lots of detours, including fording a river :D

Associate
I have done the Cleveland Way and bits of the Pennine Way not had the time to do it in one go.

Have also done the Lyke Wake Walk, White Rose and the three peaks walks - found the Lyke Wake pretty tough.

Associate
I have done the Cleveland Way and bits of the Pennine Way not had the time to do it in one go.

Have also done the Lyke Wake Walk, White Rose and the three peaks walks - found the Lyke Wake pretty tough.

Wow , that Lyke Wake looks like a good challenge to do! Reading up more on it ... are there many technical sections? How long did it take you to do it?

taB

taB

Associate
I've done almost all of the Southern Upland Way West to East. I think it's the quietest of all the long distance trails, or at least was when I did it. Stopped about a day and a half short as there was a convenient train to the stag do I needed to be at.

Associate
Wow , that Lyke Wake looks like a good challenge to do! Reading up more on it ... are there many technical sections? How long did it take you to do it?
Took 16 hours to do the Lyke Wake Walk, its not very technical, first ten miles covers a few hills, then its an old railway line and mainly moorland, can get boggy near Rosedale in wet weather.

My feet were in bits the next day !

Soldato
Went up Cadair Idris on Saturday, having not been up there for about 30 years (as a Venture Scout we went up for a night in the summit shelter). We were up and out early, so we were walking by about 8am to get the climb in before the heat built up.

There's a big sign saying "No Camping" on the gate at the base of the climb. So what do you find as you head up? Four tents right next to the Minffordd Path overlooking Llyn Cau :mad:

zf1pFsOl.jpg

Looked like they were pitched for the weekend, as they had camping chairs out and were making no effort to go (stood round with a drink shooting the breeze). Not sure they got the memo on pitch late, leave early and being discrete with your spot. I had a look online but didn't seem to be a timely way to report them in the hope of getting them moved on.

Soldato
Is there a way to get the OS Legend on a map for free?

My running club have set a challenge to hit a few different OS legend points, but without an actual OS map it's fairly tricky!

AXooiWd.png

I've created a free account on the OS website, but whilst i can see the legend key, i can't get it on the maps.

EDIT - Found StreetMap.co.uk which seems to have it. It'd be great to be able to search though!

Last edited:
Underboss
just thought id post this

so I got a backpack now for work only use
really really cheap one from blacks (£7) its daypack 20L, but my god, i would NOT use this out for hiking , its awful quality lol, it pays to have a better pack, it does not compare to my Osprey Hikelite 26 !

Soldato
Guys I'm having problems finding a pair of walking trainers that suits my needs.

Im going to Tenerife for a week and will be doing a little hiking. I only have boots for UK mountain walking so don't want to take those. I just want a lightweight pair of walking trainers that can double up for daily use walking around the town, to the bars and down the beach. But Im struggling. Back in the UK I wont use lightweight hiking shoes at all, so whatever I buy needs to double up as a daily walking shoe for the park or shops etc, otherwise its a waste.

Yesterday I bought some Merrell Moab Speed GTX trail running shoes but on getting home and trying them again Im getting some heel slip on the right foot. The heel cup seems quite shallow and my right foot is slipping slightly The left is perfect so its really marginal and they were really comfortable otherwise. So I returned to the shop today but am struggling to find anything.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
Use bing maps and switch to the Ordnance Survey layer
This, however only works on desktop in the UK.

Guys I'm having problems finding a pair of walking trainers that suits my needs.

Im going to Tenerife for a week and will be doing a little hiking. I only have boots for UK mountain walking so don't want to take those. I just want a lightweight pair of walking trainers that can double up for daily use walking around the town, to the bars and down the beach. But Im struggling. Back in the UK I wont use lightweight hiking shoes at all, so whatever I buy needs to double up as a daily walking shoe for the park or shops etc, otherwise its a waste.

Yesterday I bought some Merrell Moab Speed GTX trail running shoes but on getting home and trying them again Im getting some heel slip on the right foot. The heel cup seems quite shallow and my right foot is slipping slightly The left is perfect so its really marginal and they were really comfortable otherwise. So I returned to the shop today but am struggling to find anything.

Couldn't a thicker pair of socks help that issue? Trail running shoes are very fisher price in design. Alright for me on the fells but I wouidn't wear them socially elsewhere

Check out https://runrepeat.com/uk, amalgamates reviews on all manor of sports footwear.

Soldato
Couldn't a thicker pair of socks help that issue? Trail running shoes are very fisher price in design. Alright for me on the fells but I wouidn't wear them socially elsewhere

A thicker pair of walking socks does stop them slipping, but I still get this feeling that my right heel is not properly 'seated' in the shoe. That's the best way I can describe it. The left is fine though, and I can't see any difference between my left and right heels so whatever it is must be very marginal. Also I won't want thick socks on in Tenerife.

I know what you mean about the design though, mostly very garish. I also tried the Merrell Moab 3 and it was better, but still on the right foot I still had this very slight feeling that my heel was not properly seated. That shoe was very comfortable, vented (no goretex) but quite bulky.

I also tried the Mammut Ensi GTX and the feel around the heel was loads better, both sides felt seated properly. But this is another goretex shoe and was very thin with hardly any padding (sort of like a football boot). Im not sure about it.

Last edited:
Underboss

pop into Cotswold outdoors and ask for a fitter, that's what i did, and found the perfect pair. everybody's feet are different

Back
Top Bottom