Hiking footwear - Boot or Shoe?

Soldato
Son, we live in a world that has footpaths, and those footpaths have to be walked by men with boots. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Glaucus? I have a greater durability than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Hotwired and you curse the combat boot. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know; that Hotwired's footwear choice, while tragic, probably saved ankles. And my combat boot, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, *saves ankles*. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that footpath. You *need* me on that footpath. We use words like sole, padded tongue, lacing. We use these words as the backbone of a boot spent treading something. You use them as a sales pitch. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very opinion that I provide, and then questions the forum post in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you lace up a combat boot and walk a footpath. Either way, I don't give a *damn* what you think you are entitled to!

Did I really just waste that much of my life, typing that?
YOU'RE GODDAMN RIGHT I DID!!!!!

What and why me :confused:

If it can be described as a footpath you're probably fine with a shoe.

Caporegime
@ttaskmaster have you been drinking? :D

And I’m not talking about ultralight here with super thin exotic fabrics, just spending a little more on decent kit to begin with. It makes a big difference.

@jpaul they work great. The only issue is they aren’t as durable because there’s no thicker material on the outside protecting them like a leather hiking boot with integrated goretex. If you get the inside wet they take just as long as a gore lined boot to dry out unfortunately.

I’ve been wearing trail runners for about 15 years for hiking and outside of specific reasons (such as requirements by the organization I’m working with, snow, boggy or scree areas) my go to is a non goretex trail runner.

Soldato
What and why me :confused:
You were nearest and dearest...

If it can be described as a footpath you're probably fine with a shoe.
Debatable...
Footpath may merely refer to the legal right to use it, or that you cannot take a horse/bicycle on it. Could be a whacking great mountain with just a slightly worn trail to follow. Still a footpath.

have you been drinking? :D
Tea, water, bit of coffee. Why d'you ask?

And I’m not talking about ultralight here with super thin exotic fabrics, just spending a little more on decent kit to begin with. It makes a big difference.
TBH, my current boots are like slippers to me, they're so soft and light. Cost a few quid from the MoD surplus wholesaler.
But I don't even have any other daily footwear than boots anyway, so I prefer those when walking too. The only bad ones I've tried were the French Ranger boots that the Foreign Legion use.

Soldato
@jpaul they work great. The only issue is they aren’t as durable because there’s no thicker material on the outside protecting them like a leather hiking boot with integrated goretex. If you get the inside wet they take just as long as a gore lined boot to dry out unfortunately.

I’ve been wearing trail runners for about 15 years for hiking and outside of specific reasons (such as requirements by the organization I’m working with, snow, boggy or scree areas) my go to is a non goretex trail runner.
Thanks,
so do you find sizing of trail shoes difficult ?
with them grabbing your ankles less, either having too much space or too little is a fine line in TR's, estimating how you feet will be after 4+ hours walking and you want to jog/run down a slope.

Caporegime
Thanks,
with them grabbing your ankles less, either having too much space or too little is a fine line in TR's, estimating how you feet will be after 4+ hours walking and you want to jog/run down a slope.

Quite the opposite really. they are much more comfortable than boots and will fit your foot shape much better, and are softer more adaptable to your feet. Try on a few pairs in the shop, run around the store, hopefully store has a flight of stairs plus some kind of rocky obstacle course to check feel on steep slopes.

I can highly recommend Altra Lone Peak if it is not too deep mud.

Soldato
I prefer boots but in the newer "fabric" design over the older heavy leather version, so kind of a mix between the trailer runners light weight and the boots support/waterproofness. My current boot is this Merrell Goretex one called (and I'm not making this up) The MOAB 2 or "Mother Of All Boots" as it's supposed to be a kind of "Jack of all trades" style boot. It's lightweight at 470g per boot (1/2 the weight of leather), trainer levels of comfort with no break-in needed, goretex lined, a great Vibram sole and well priced.

boot.jpg

Soldato
The cheapest I've seen them for is around £75 for the black ones & £81 for the Sand coloured ones on Amazon with the RRP at £125. They do them in Grey-ish, Black-ish, Blue-ish and Sand but they are only a single width so those with wide feet may struggle.

Caporegime
Thanks,

Tbh I couldn’t tell you. I’ve been wearing Salomon XA Pros for pretty much that entire time, so I just buy the same size. I know they fit my feet and do the job so other than colour I have no decisions to make. :o

Salomon for a short time did a high ankle version, a boot form of the XA Pro, but they only seemed to sell them for a year or two. I heard rumours of longevity issues. A big shame as they would have been a good compromise between boot and TR.

Soldato
OP
Last edited:
Soldato
I think I would buy one pair of better boots and use for both purposes - the northface with all the seams an nubuck do not look as though they would stand up to much punishment against scree or rocks (and may not take a flexible crampon) a one piece upper leather boot with a vibram sole would both be comfortable/smart for winter pavements and the hills
eg Zamberlan Trail light / Vioz.
If you buy a Grisport just for light use and the build quality is not up there , may only fail outside warranty period.
... could not immediately see if Amazon do free return on boots, but auditioning should be a lot easier these days.

Soldato
OP
could not immediately see if Amazon do free return on boots

They do free returns :D

You read my mind though.

I ordered 2 pairs of the Grisport in a size 12 and 13 (Normally a 12).

In the end I disregarded the Northface, it seemed too light personally on closer observation. Not saying I like boulders on my feet but something substantial is nice. Even then, at under 800g, they are not heavy for a leather boot.

My last walking boots were also my "regular" walking around shoes so they were very well worn in so when going hiking, it was just like wearing a pair of slippers :D

In that regard, as you say, no need for seperate boots if the Grisports are good enough. They are breathable so bar the odd stink, should be Ok in the summer :D

I looked at Berghaus and Northface and nothing of theirs caught my eye. Well, their is a Berghaus for the same price however does not have a Vibram sole.

Grisport are a british company who manufacture in Italy. I guess Berghaus and Northface manufacture in China?

I might gamble on a Solomon boot for dedicated hiking, never used their kit but look good and sturdy if the Grisport is not upto the task :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Received the Grisports and they are a great boot upon initial inspection.

Will get some wear in tomorrow and see whats what.

One thing to add, I am a size 12 normally, these are a 13 and fit very well (just fit finger between heel and shoe) but when looking at size charts, the difference between a 12/13 is 6mm so not much difference.

I think I would be happy to keep these as an all round show and use the other money to get more gear BUT.. these Solomons are calling me.. very loudly:

Uy636X5.png

Nowt wrong with having too many boots :D

Soldato
I've got a pair of the Quest 4D GTX - super comfy and fine for weight, even for "casual" use (wore them to the footy last weekend for extra warmth and waterproofing).

Caporegime
I had two pairs of NF nubuck boots a few years ago. The first broke at the lace eyelet after a couple of months use. I then got a second pair under warranty which subsequently decided to fall apart at almost every seam. They spent a few weeks being held together by successive layers of superglue as I was working out of a small village with nowhere to buy new ones...

I’m sure they’re better now though!

I ended up making the mistake of getting a pair of Scarpa leather boots to replace them. Heavy and clumpy and certainly not recommended. Unfortunately they just won’t die... :(

Soldato
I don't know how people can clomp around in boots all the time. For most of the year I wear shoes, only wearing boots if it's wet or I need to wear crampons. There have been several studies that show the whole ankle support thing as a bit of a myth. Change to shoes, your feet will thank you!

Man of Honour
I'm a bit of a beginner to hiking but a friend (whose done quite a few hikes) and I are planning to do a few this year. The biggest will probably be Striding Edge mid or late summer. But I've been trying to decide between boots and shoes for some time.

I just got some Merrell MOAB 2 goretex mid ankle boots with vibram soles (the same as the pic above but different colour) for £65 on Amazon (£75 but then a discount of £10 Amazon offer). I take it these would be good enough for Striding Edge and probably better than equivalent shoes for that scramble as there will be a lot of hill walking/scrambling? I can still swap them of course.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom