Hiking footwear - Boot or Shoe?

Soldato
They'll be absolutely fine. I usually wear a pair of Scarpa Crux shoes for scrambles and easy climbs in the summer and avoid goretex unless it's wet as my feet cook.

Soldato
OP
The Grisport boots are just great.

OHxI7fM.png

Has padding around the toes, soo comfy.

Never heard of this brand before but glad I took a punt, build quality is very good on what I got. Very happy.

Soldato
Boots, more protection/support. Just make sure they are VERY well worn in before heading off too many people get a brand new pair of boots head off for the hills then wonder they have blisters, cuts, rashes and god knows what from wearing new shoes for too long. Break 'em in first.

Associate
I've got a pair of Salomon X Ultra Mid 2's. Wore them pretty much straight out the box and did the Yorkshire 3 Peaks with no issues at all. I went to these from heavy leather boots and found the lightness of the fabric and cut of the mid much comfier whilst providing a small amount of support. Since then I've done various other 15+ mile walks and even the Y3P where it rained for all 9 hours, sure they eventually got wet inside from the fabric being saturated on the outside, water getting in from my socks etc - but no blisters or problems at all.

I've used them for Airsoft and Paint-balling too so they are light enough for a few hours of running around in.

Caporegime
I can't wear boots.
I get really uncomfortable really quick.
I have a pair of walking shoes gtx lined but even these don' d meme much good.

If it isn't a trainer type I can't l long.

Soldato
Depends a lot on the terrain and the conditions.

Summer walking on good footpaths/trails - Trail shoes - Altra Olympus

Summer scrambling - Approach shoes - Scarpa Crux

Winter scrambling (wet) - Mountain boots - Scarpa Charmoz

I don't do walking in crap weather in the cold, but would probably Don a crappy old pair of trespass boots lurking somewhere in the back of the cupboard

Associate
I get myself down to Cotswold or snow and rock or a decent climbing sports shop and try a few pairs of boots on.
100% boots for support.

Soldato
Just got back from hiking in California with a pair of Scarpa boots:

Perfect for the rocky terrain and feel like a pair of slippers after many many months dog walking at home. One of my pals was wearing Altra trail shoes and swears by them over boots, so each to their own.

Soldato
Horses for courses, I have both and even have different types of boots at this point but hike a lot under different conditions.

Soldato
Salamon boots for me, dreading when they wear out as they are so comfy right now :)

Salomon shoes and boots have dropped considerably in quality to the point I would never buy another pair again. I had an old pair which lasted for ages with loads of use which eventually gave up the ghost. Bought a new pair which started falling apart just walking the dog after 10 months. Just comparing the build of them, you can see where they scrimped on the new ones

Soldato
Just got back from hiking in California with a pair of Scarpa boots:

Perfect for the rocky terrain and feel like a pair of slippers after many many months dog walking at home. One of my pals was wearing Altra trail shoes and swears by them over boots, so each to their own.
Tried these recently but found them a bit wide. Ended up with some Lowa Camino which are a bit overkill but got 20% off in their Jan sale! Only worn them once so far, and they are on the heavy side, but think I could do anything in them so I’m happy.

Back
Top Bottom