Hitachi 500GB IDE installation probs?

Soldato
Howdy,

Need someones help here, as I cant get this working.

We have a IBM xSeries 206 server.. just a small thing we use locally for running websites. Well it has a SATA Maxtor HDD running in SATA Port 0 according to the BIOS.

Well the server has a CD-ROM that the Primary IDE goes into, and that all works fine. Well next to the primary/master plug that goes into the CD-ROM is another IDE plug which I assume is the Slave connection. So I'm putting the Hitachi 500gb HDD into this and fiddling with the slave jumper and I have tried many combo according to the sticker on the HDD and I cannot get it to work?

The HDD was bought on ocuk, its the Hitachi Deskstar 7K500 500GB ATA-133 8MB Cache - OEM (0A31613) (HD-012-HI) found at http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Hitachi_IDE.html

Im not sure what jumper setting I would need for this? The sticker says a list of combos for Master, Slave, Cable Select and Forcing Dev 1 Present in categories 16 Head, 15 Head, 32gb Clip and Auto-spin disable... Well what one do I look at for this? I tried most Slave combos on there and also some of the cable selects but it wont work... the bios will not see it?

I even tried unplugging the CD-ROM and putting the primary into the HDD, then when loading the bio setup I got a error saying sumin like "Hard Drive error IDE only"... what does that mean? It is IDE?

Desperate to get this working, so any help will be appreciated!

the bios is a IBM Setup with a date of 10/22/04

Anyone know what I can try?

Thanks

Man of Honour
I've just had a look at the available BIOS updates for that box and there's nothing in the change log to suggest that an upgrade would be needed to see the drive.

The jumpers on the drive should be set to the slave position, that is two jumper blocks vertically across the two sets of pins at the far right of the block, next to the molex socket. The setting requires that the IDE cable is plugged into both the CD & the HDD.

Can you feel if the drive spins up when you boot the machine?

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply.

I did already do that jumper setting, but I have just it back to that and booted and I can;t hear any noise coming from the HDD on boot?

When going to the BIOS setup I get an error saying:

5962 IDE CD-ROM Configuration Error
1780 Hard Drive Error - IDE Only
162 Device Config Error

Then getting into the BIOS I go to Devices and I/O Ports and have the options below:

Parallel ATA : Enabled
Serial ATA : Enabled
SATA Raid Enable : Disabled
Primary Master : None
Primary Slave : None
SATA Port 0 : Maxtor 6Y00M0-S1
SATA Port 1 : None

Now usually Priamry Master says CD-ROM (plus the brand etc, but I can't remeber that). So now its says None the HDD has screwed that up also... but that error I get going into BIOS would suggest that.

When selecting Primary Salve I get the options:

Auto | None | ATAPI Removable | CD-ROM | Other ATAPI | User

Each have their own options... but surely the HDD should automatically fill these setting in shouldnt it? Do I need to go to User and manually enter the Sectors, Cylinders, Capacity etc? I doubt it cos I've never had to do that before?

Any ideas?

ta

Soldato
OP
I just grabbed a crappy old 8.4gb samsung HDD that was lying around and plugged that in (after setting it to slave of course) and when I went in to the BIOS it threw that same error, BUT when viewing the devices it actually detected that the Primary Salve was a SAMSUNG HDD.

So I saved the changes to the BIOS and rebooted and it booted from the second HDD (thats obviously a start up sequence thing), but the point is that it booted the HDD from the slave IDE... why won't it boot the 500gb HDD? Is it broken? Or is it cos I have a wrong jumper setting?

Man of Honour
Right, the 162 error is nothing to worry about, that's just a config has changed message which forces you into the BIOS to save the new config. I'll need to go look up the other ones - 1780 I think is the one to worry about. Do you get the 1780 error with the 8.4Gb disk??

Associate
Some people say they have issues when running a CD/DVD drive and a HDD on the same IDE channel. Does the Mobo have another IDE socket on it? If so, I recommend setting the jumper to Master, and then connecting the drive in the master position on the new cable.

Man of Honour
According to the IBM troubleshooting info a 1780 error is a HDD 0 problem.

I'm wondering if it's to do with the cable - is it a 40way or 80 way cable? Both have 40 pin connectors though so no point in counting these. Newer IDE drives need 80 way cables for high speed operation, it may be that the HDD doesn't like the cable.

Soldato
OP
Rivey: The mobo only has the two IDE sockets, the primary one ruins the cd room and the otherone runs the 3.5 floppy drive. tbh we dont use the floppy so could go with out that, but can we run the HDD on the floppy ide cable? Or is that IDE socket made just for floppy drives only?

rpstewart: Well I deffo got a similar looking error with the 8.4gb HDD, but I didnt look if it wass the same value... Ill do that now and see?

The annoying thing is, when I went into the BIOS and looked at the devices, it shows the SAMSUNG straight away without me doing anything, when I get the error with the 500gb one it just says None... but cos its throwing the eror, surely it is detecting the HDD right?

thanks!

Soldato
OP
ok as I suspected!

Right I put the 8.4 back in and got the error again, but it is a different error.

The 500gb error goes like:

1780 Hard Drive Error - IDE Only

Whereas the 8.4gb one goes like:

1762 Hard DRive COnfiguration Error - IDE Only

So is that a good thing or a bad? So far im getting the feeling the HDD is screwed? I hope not! Only got it 2 days ago :)

Also the 8.4gb HDD has a little LED that comes on when I boot, the 500gb doesn't have any lights, but looking on the bottom, I cant see any LED... I suppose all HDD's dont have LEDs do they? Cos if they do the 500gb one isnt coming on... and Ive tried my best, but cant hear any action when I boot? But there is a fan near it so that dont help :)

Any more ideas?

ta

Man of Honour
1762 is nothin to worry about it's the same as a 162 - just a notification of a config change that needs you to pop into the BIOS and save the new config.

Have you checked what kind of IDE cable is in the box?

Soldato
OP
Yeah im not worried bout the 1762 error cos that on the 8.4gb HDD and the bios detects that and the HDD functions on the PC, so that code is fine.

Its the 1780 error I dont like cos thats with the new 500gb HDD we want to get working... but isn't

When you say what type of cable, what do you mean? Were can I find out what cable it is? Will it be written on it?

Also I just had a thought about what Rivey said, I did try the HDD on its own in the primary slot and the jumpers set to Master, and it still didnt work? So it cant be the HDD and CD-ROM clashing, cos the CD-ROM wasnt connected at that point?

ta

Soldato
OP
Also another question I have is, on the label of the 500gb HDD it have diff jumper options for 16 Heads, 15 Heads, 32gb clip and auto spin disable.

What one do I look at? According to the order you said I should put the jumpers, would suggest its 16 heads... is that correct? What do they all mean?

Man of Honour
keogh said:
When you say what type of cable, what do you mean? Were can I find out what cable it is? Will it be written on it?

My concern is that the drive might not like running on a 40 wire cable, rather it needs the extra sheilding of an 80 way cable to run.

Unfortunately you're going to have to take it out and eyeball it to find out what kind of cable you have. Count the bumps in the cable rather than the pins on the connector as the extra 40 wires are just earthing to reduce crosstalk.

To be honest I'd be thinking about returning the drive and swapping it for a SATA version about now....

Soldato
OP
Yeah I might have to send it back, but be good if i could get it working before i do.

I counted the lups in the wire, and I might have miscounted slightly but it was deffo in the region of 80... and tbh I think it was 80 exact... that good?

Also can you answer the other question I posted:

Also another question I have is, on the label of the 500gb HDD it have diff jumper options for 16 Heads, 15 Heads, 32gb clip and auto spin disable.

What one do I look at? According to the order you said I should put the jumpers, would suggest its 16 heads... is that correct? What do they all mean?

Then I will deffo know what im looking at the right illustration on the HDD sticker

cheers!

Man of Honour
OK, so the cable's the right one then.

With the jumpers the options for 15 heads, 32Gb clip and auto spin disable are options for compatability with old/wierd machines. There's a full explanation here

Re reading that link it might be worth trying the 32Gb clip option, if the drive works in that mode then it's a BIOS issue (which might be a problem given my initial post about the BIOS change log).

Soldato
I know IBM Thinkpads sometimes throw up errors and won't boot unless you use an IBM OEM HDU (i.e. with IBM firmware). Could it be this error. Are you able to take the drive home and test it? If it works, sometimes you can falsh the firmware to an IBM one (as IBM use Hitachi drives). I can't change my wireless mini-pci card expect to an IBM one, however only other series thinkpads suffer the HDU firmware issue.

Soldato
OP
Oops forgot to respond.

I put it in 32gb clip mode and when booting into the BIOS I didnt get any errors, which I thought was a good sign. But it wasn;t good, cos in devices it still didnt detect it, and labelled the Primary Slave as [None]

I tried setting the HDD to Master and plugging it in INSTEAD of the cd rom again and that deffo didnt work, and just said Slave and Master [None].

So that would rule out the CD-ROM and HDD not liking being on the same IDE cable. Its a 80 cable IDE, so its the right cable, and it can't be anything to do with IBM firmware being on the HDD, cos I put that 8.4gb Samsun gin and that worked fine?

Anyway Im home now and have the HDD with me, when I get a spare moment ill lob it in my PC. I have 2 HDD's in there, my main is SATA II and the other is IDE (got that from my old PC) so I know the combination works on my PC. So if the HDD dont work on my PC then surely the HDD is ****** right?

Thanks so far anyway, ill let you know what happens when i plug it into my PC.

ta

Back
Top Bottom