Hitachi 500GB IDE installation probs?

Soldato
OP
ok I have just made an interesting discovery?

I was about to put the HDD in my PC here at home, and thought I'd quckly look in my BIOS to see what it says there, cos I havent looked for ages. And it lists my DVD-RW drive, DVD-ROM and my Samsung SATA-II drive in the correct places. BUT it doesn't list my 80gb Samsung IDE drive?

In Primary IDE Master and Primary IDE Slave is says [None]... yet by IDE drive works fine in Windows and has since day one. When formatting my PC (which I have done many times) it always lists it on the initial screen... it finds it everywhere except it would appear in my BIOS?

So if it isn't displaying in my BIOS, but WIndows can find it... then maybe its a similar situation with the 500gb HDD? Cos I was booting it up and going straight to the BIOS, if it wasn;t displayed there I assumed it hadn't detected it, and didnt bother with Windows.

When I first installed it though I had the jumpers on the wrong setting, I went straight into windows that time and it wasn;t detected... but thats no surprise. I just wish I would have gone into windows when I had the jumpers on the correct setting. I work from home most days of the week and try to travel into work as little as poss... and dont plan on going back til the end of next week :)

Does this make sense? Should my BIOS for example show my IDE? Or is it maybe a trend, with SATA and IDE drive mixing?

ta

Soldato
OP
Another strange thing happened recently, Yesterday I have to take the mobo out of my PC to put in the Zalman ZM-NB47J Northbridge Cooler as my replacement ASUS fan also went faulty like my first one... never get an ASUS mobo again!

Anyway after putting it back together I got a BOOT DISK FAILURE error. So obviously I went into my BIOS and to my surprise my BIOS is now detecting my IDE HDD? Hence the boot disk failure, as it put that in as priority over my SATA II HDD? Obviously my BIOS has never detected it before as I would have got that error before, and I have taken my PC apart a few times... so why does it recognise it now? Ive not put it back any diff... to my knowledge anyway?

Oh well just thought Id point that out.

ta

Associate
Hi, maybe I'm wrong, but I figured if you only are connecting a single drive to the ide port, it should always be set as master? Purely because ide can have two devices, one master and one slave? I'm not great with servers so maybe they're different, but I do know that ide with only one drive should always be set as master. Also, a small point, but one I feel should be mentioned is the connector on the ide cable should be the closest one to the mboard for master, and furthest for slave?

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick, just trying to help :D

Soldato
OP
Thanks madwelsh, I'm quite sure the HDD is faulty now though. I have tried it on four PCs now and it dont work on any of them, one of which it should deffo work, cos I have a similar spec HDD sitting on the IDE in that PC, I just changed them over and nothing.

Also we already have another item on that IDE, the CD-ROM is connected as a master on that same IDE ribbon, but I tried setting the HDD to master and removing the CD-ROM still nothing. I am sure I have tried EVERYTHING to get this working, so leads me to believe its faulty.

Also when trying it on the PC I was sure it would work on, it caused the PC to hang when booting (which it never does) and also when in windows, if I listened close to the HDD it was making a slight siren noise... as we all know thats NEVER a good sign with hardware :)

I'm gonna get an RMA from OCUK.

Thanks for your help

Associate
keogh said:
Thanks madwelsh, I'm quite sure the HDD is faulty now though. I have tried it on four PCs now and it dont work on any of them, one of which it should deffo work, cos I have a similar spec HDD sitting on the IDE in that PC, I just changed them over and nothing.

Also we already have another item on that IDE, the CD-ROM is connected as a master on that same IDE ribbon, but I tried setting the HDD to master and removing the CD-ROM still nothing. I am sure I have tried EVERYTHING to get this working, so leads me to believe its faulty.

Also when trying it on the PC I was sure it would work on, it caused the PC to hang when booting (which it never does) and also when in windows, if I listened close to the HDD it was making a slight siren noise... as we all know thats NEVER a good sign with hardware :)

I'm gonna get an RMA from OCUK.

Thanks for your help

ul mate, still storage is nice and cheap these days, wish u better luck with your new one :D

Back
Top Bottom