Hole in brick party wall underfloor - how to fill in?

Soldato
Brick party wall between semi's. First floor.

Lifted the floorboards and the brickwork is mostly intact except there is a spot where one of the floor joists passes through to rest on the brick. There is missing brickwork here such that the hole goes straight through to next door.

How can I best fill this in? I could try and mortar another brick in but its awkward and I likely won't be able to get mortar all the way around the brick. Expanding foam is messy.

For sound transmission purposes it would be better with something dense/solid.

Soldato
Unfortunately no, but even if they were, doubt I'd see much through a brick sized hole in the floor void.

Just jam it in you mean? Bit of a bodge isn't it?
If a floor joist is hanging and its supposed to be on the brick then you'll never get a bed of mortar and the brick in tight enough.
If you open any wall thats had a knock through done you'll find pieces of roofing slate between the Steel and the bricks..

Soldato
OP
Classic Dan. Doesn't want to bodge it but discounts the right answer from the get go :D

Because jamming bits of slate in there sounded like a bodge.

If a floor joist is hanging and its supposed to be on the brick then you'll never get a bed of mortar and the brick in tight enough.
If you open any wall thats had a knock through done you'll find pieces of roofing slate between the Steel and the bricks..

No hanging joist, it's just a hole in the party wall.

Soldato
Because jamming bits of slate in there sounded like a bodge.

No hanging joist, it's just a hole in the party wall.

brickies do it all the time but Mostly when the above bricks need the support, ie when removing a wall an inserting a steel, they’ll hammer The slate in then mortar over it

anyways perosnally with it being underground I would just stick a brick in and foam it , just make sure it’s not going To be prone to damp

Soldato
OP
Is it possible to get an equivalent product to mortar (but not expanding foam) that I can use in an applicator gun?

It's going to be really awkward trying to wet mortar a single brick in place in this spot, I won't be able to access the other side of it.

Soldato
downstairs in our ol dplace there was random bricks missing under the floorswhere thewalla were.

Aren't they just for airflow?
Between house it's a pretty serious issue for fire breaking.

Is it possible to get an equivalent product to mortar (but not expanding foam) that I can use in an applicator gun?

It's going to be really awkward trying to wet mortar a single brick in place in this spot, I won't be able to access the other side of it.
Mortar gun

Soldato
I mean you can get mortar repair that'll fit a normal gun but it's a variation of a bodge. You may be better off trying to scrounch a bit of insulation from a skip and just ram it full. Rockwool is what I filled the cross house air bricks in the loft with.

Soldato

You’re overthinking this

If you insist on putting mortar in then just do what I said above or put a layer in the existing g part of the wall, put new brick on,try and press it down a little , leave an hour or so to set a little then just poke mortar in the sides with something or use your fingers , make sure you wash right away as cement in the mortar can damage skin

But imo the foam would be more than adequate

Back
Top Bottom