Holidays 2019

Soldato
We've just booked a week away (9 nights actually) and we're closing the restaurant for it! We deserve it after a hard work summer!

we've booked a 4 night comedy cruise in August with P&O (unfortunately, it's the only cruise line out of Auckland this time of year), leaving Auckland and arriving in Brisbane, Australia on the Friday, then we've hired a car in Brisbane to go to the Gold Coast for 3 nights in a high floor studio right on the coast with views out to sea and the city. We'll be driving to Byron Bay and Currumbin nature park to see the lorikeets feeding from your hand, and koalas / kangaroos etc. Then we're staying one night in Brisbane before we fly back to Auckland with air New Zealand on one of their new A321NEO's and because we land at midnight, we're just staying at a hotel there for the night before driving home the next day.
So looking forward to it! Just under 10 weeks to go.

P&O are great tbh. We did one from brisbane to the whitsunday islands, townsville and cairnes.

Soldato
I wouldn't say they were 'great' compared to other lines with their decor or food, but the entertainment is great and the customer service i found was great. We went to New Caledonia & Vanuatu last year for 10 nights on Pacific Jewel, a 30 yr old ship, we're going on Pacific Aria this time, it's a smaller ship, so even less crowded than the not very crowded Jewel. 7 weeks to go!

Soldato
Yeah we were on Pacific Aria. Maybe I have lower standards as we couldn't fault it. Hardly any kids on it too:)

Don't get me wrong, i loved the cruise i was on, but the boat was showing it's age, we had a balcony suite on the last cruise, i would never go for less than a balcony on a cruise!
I really want to do this one.....https://www.tripadeal.co.nz/deals/3...A3vXpcflq0uQd6DU5i_l3vD9_PajplABdHr1TgQAd8Tj0 but i can't as it's in February and i can't close the restaurant then :(. Does seem a bit of a bargain though!

Soldato
We did Melia Dunas Cape Verde in 2017 and Olu Deniz last year in a stunning villa. We preferred the private villa option.

Any of you got an recommendations or even own your own villas?!

Soldato
Just on my way back from Dubrovnik, saw some monstrous cruise ships, how the hell do those things float/move!?! I find it incredible, will have to go on one at some point.

Associate
Just finalising all the logiistics, but am off to Portugal for the boss's stag do in a fortnight (not sure if that's a good idea or not)

Back in the office for a week, before heading out to Alaska for 3 weeks (then a week in Philadelphia & New York)

October time I'm off to Japan for three weeks to watch the Rugby world cup

Really looking forward to it

Soldato
Just finalising all the logiistics, but am off to Portugal for the boss's stag do in a fortnight (not sure if that's a good idea or not)

Back in the office for a week, before heading out to Alaska for 3 weeks (then a week in Philadelphia & New York)

October time I'm off to Japan for three weeks to watch the Rugby world cup

Really looking forward to it

What's the plan in Alaska?

I get 40 days a year holiday (but no bank holidays/Christmas/New Year).

Associate
Got a few days in San Francisco doing the usual touristy stuff (I'm not a fan of SF but the family want to do them) + 11 days in Yosemite coming up in in late July/August. I'm sure the main areas of Yosemite will be pretty busy at that time of year, but we've got a lodge in the park itself so no queuing through the park entrance, and will be able to get to where we want to early. Besides, Yosemite is big enough to find somewhere away from the crowds!

Soldato
My missus's parents own a villa in Spain so we will be using that for our 'main' holiday this year in Sept, then over there again for Christmas. Off to Dublin and Krakow on weekend breaks as well but otherwise no major holidays planned. want to get back out to Australia next year so will be saving for that as well.

Caporegime
My missus's parents own a villa in Spain so we will be using that for our 'main' holiday this year in Sept, then over there again for Christmas. Off to Dublin and Krakow on weekend breaks as well but otherwise no major holidays planned. want to get back out to Australia next year so will be saving for that as well.

Good luck whenever they sell it. The Spanish authorities and tax laws are brutal on foreigners and will likely leave them with a big hole in their pocket. Very corrupt too. You can't appoint someone to speak on your behalf unless you go in person and they won't use english over the phone, etc.

My advice is never buy a property in France, Spain or Portugal. unless your willing to give it away for free at the end. Spain and Portugal being the top 2 worse and Portugal being the absolute worst.

Soldato
As an alternate view. My parents sold their flat in Spain quite easily when they moved into a Villa.

Tax laws can indeed be brutal but it's only on the capital gains (no rollover relief either) so providing it's not sold at a loss i don't see how they'll end up with a big hole in their pocket.

Although when my parents sell their villa/pass away i look forward to being bummed on IHT :(

Soldato
Good luck whenever they sell it. The Spanish authorities and tax laws are brutal on foreigners and will likely leave them with a big hole in their pocket. Very corrupt too. You can't appoint someone to speak on your behalf unless you go in person and they won't use english over the phone, etc.

My advice is never buy a property in France, Spain or Portugal. unless your willing to give it away for free at the end. Spain and Portugal being the top 2 worse and Portugal being the absolute worst.
They are retiring over there in August so no plans on selling it. They have had it as rental place for the last couple years so if they ever did come back to England they would just keep it to rent but yeah there was a lot of work from what I remember when they initially bought it.

Back
Top Bottom