Home brewing kits ....

Soldato
Just getting ready to start student life again in September and I was thinking of the essentials that I might need, notepads, pens, printer paper and a home brew kit:D

I've seen threads on here before but can anyone recommend a decent place to go for a half decent set up? I've got about £250 to spend on my own little micro brewery but I don't have a scoobie what's hot and what's not:(

Any advice would be greatly appreciated folks :cool:

Al :D

Soldato
6-8 weeks for the wherry kit I linked to. You might get some kits that are perfectly drinkable by 6 weeks but the wherry tastes better if left a little longer.

Associate
6-8 weeks for the wherry kit I linked to. You might get some kits that are perfectly drinkable by 6 weeks but the wherry tastes better if left a little longer.

This, although I only managed to wait 3weeks, it tasted good then, but I had a couple of bottles age for two months and wow, amazing beer.

Soldato
How do you think the weather's going to effect things? My bed/brewing room gets quite warm even on cool days. Probably be better off with a larger in this weather, right?

Associate
I'd say the opposite, when brewing lager you have to "lager" it, meaning take the brewing temp down to 14C for a week and then 2-3C for a week or two. How hot are we talking? I'm still using my airing cupboard and it's the perfect temperature, although I am in the north of Scotland..

Soldato
I don't have a thermometer so it's difficult to say. Outside it's quite cool now but it's hotter in my room than it's been all day even with the windows open.

I'm relieved to hear you say that. Getting hold of dozens of bottles, a bottle tree, caps and capper was really putting me off doing this. Any ale recommendations?

Associate
I've only brewed the one ale so far, wherry. I loved that after it had aged properly. I've only heard good things about the St peters ruby red, which is what I've got going at the moment. I really want to try norfolk Nog though. Everything else I have brewed has either been lager, rocket fuel wine or some sort of cider.

*edit* I forgot I made way to amrallio, that's not a kit though it's an extract, but was pretty nice. I bottled it all and it didn't last too long.

Associate
It's supposed to be hoppy and slightly spicy. It's available in bottles in ASDA (the microbrewery decided to realise a home brew kit of their beer). I'm hoping I like it. Much prefer a porter style beer though, can't be old peculiar!

Soldato
The ideal fermenting temperature for Ales is normally reckoned to be about 18-21°C so it's probably going to be too hot for brewing unless you have a cool basement for much of the next few months.

Beer kits are an excellent way of making cheap tasty ale, the bottling is a bit of a ball ache but worth it.

Soldato
Unless you are doing full grain or partial mash brewing, temperature really isn't a worry.
The kits are made to work within a range and for your house to be out of that range is unusual. I brew a lot (both from kits, partial mash and experimentation) all year round and I've never worried about temperature. It is not uncommon to be able to see your breath in my flat.

Edworts Apfelwein is the easiest and cheapest to start with. You can make pints of 8.5+% cider, which is tasty (after sufficient ageing, you're looking at 6 weeks in the bottle), for 30p a pint.

There's no reason to go out and spend anything more than £30 setting yourself up.
The biggest outlay will be bottles but chances are, especially if you are a student, you can get them for free or at the very least awfully cheap.
Second to that would be the fermentation vessel. I use 5 gallon plastic drums used for carrying liquids. There is NO reason to go out and buy 5 gallon glass demijohns at this point.
Then you need a syphon tube and tap (a few quid off the internet, nothing more than a fiver)
A large funnel will save you a lot of time and hassle (again, about £2).
A hydrometer, get a glass one. About £5.
An airlock is pretty important, some people say you can use a balloon but I wouldn't. Though, again this'll only set you back £2-£5.
Santizing powder (you can use diluted bleach, but best to get some proper stuff. I recommend VMP, about £5 for a big pot.

You are then good to go.
Again, google Edworts Apfelwein and you'll be fine.

If you spend anything close to £100, you're a mug - unless you're going straight into full mash brewing which is daft at this point. Try some kits and see if you enjoy it.

As for time, you want to leave it for at least 4 weeks in the fermentation vessel. Then transfer it to bottles and you want to leave it at least a week in here for secondary fermentation (to make it fizzy). Though I would leave it for at least a month.
I have a couple of batches coming up to a year of ageing and shall be drank in August. They'll be 'gorge'.

This is my local brew shop - http://www.innhousebrewery.co.uk/.

Most important thing is to make sure everything is sanitized and the air lock on the fermentation vessel and bottles is air tight.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having really enjoyed having my free homedraught beer in the fridge ready for me when I want it, I have also been considering giving home-brewing a try.

Can anyone recommend a simple start kit for someone that likes beers like fosters, budweiser etc (ie crappy weak lagers....none of this strong manly ale stuff...lol)

Valve

Back
Top Bottom