Home brewing kits ....

Associate
A lot of home brewers will buy an old chest freezer and add an external temp controller to it, effectively making it a fridge. Standard ones fit 2 kegs. Space is the issue though.

Associate
Pictures people, we need pictures!

No recent pictures for me, as my camera has broke. But here's where my booze ferments and what it ferments in:

This is 40 pints of the Apfelwein. 8.5% after bottling.
apfelwein.jpg

That looks interesting, kit form or some original recipe?

Soldato
That looks interesting, kit form or some original recipe?

Adapted from this : http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/edworts-apfelwein-33986/

I use 5 gallons (23) litres of apple juice. Usually just get half of the Tesco value stuff and half of the not so cheap stuff.
3kg of sugar.
Some yeast, some yeast nutrient.

Put it all in a big drum (as seen) for 4 - 6 weeks and then bottle as seen. We dissolve a kilo of sugar in minimum water and add that to the bottles when filling them. This creates the fizz.
Stash it away in the cupboard for 4 - 6 weeks and then it is ready to drink.
It gets better longer you leave it, we have some bottles over a year old which will be delicious once we get round to having a 'vintage' night.
I say we, as it's me and my friend that do it all together though it lives at my house :D.

Here's a picture of the 'ageing'/'store room'.
ageing.jpg

Soldato
Sorry, I guess I should have added, "without taking up the entire fridge!!!"

Valve
Without dedicating a fridge to ale your only options are storing it outside (in the winter), either in a shed or garage, or chilling the glasses and possibly serving it with ice. But warm ale isn't that bad, compared to warm lager at least.

Associate
Ahleckz got anything new brewing? I'm going crazy this month, a cherry stout ,raspberry wheat and some edworts apfelwein to go along with the two other brews i'm already doing this month.

Soldato
Ahleckz got anything new brewing? I'm going crazy this month, a cherry stout ,raspberry wheat and some edworts apfelwein to go along with the two other brews i'm already doing this month.

Got a rhubarb champagne brewing away atm, will be ready to be bottled in 3 weeks. Should be awesome, had a cheeky taste the other day when I checked the gravity and it was pretty awesome.
I have a binliner of elderflowers sitting in my mums freezer that I have to go and collect next time I'm near her house so it can be turned into elderflower champagne.
Usually have one of Edworts apfelweins on, but my brew partners car got firebombed a few weeks back and we didn't fancy lugging back loads of ingredients from supermarkets so just been experimenting with some new stuff.
Our Smirnoff Ice ripoff failed miserably! But you don't learn unless you try. Bit gutting we made 40 pints worth and not a few litres but meh.

Don't have pictures of the rhubarb stuff unfortunately, camera on my phone has been playing up. I'll upload some pictures when it's bottled though.

Very interested in the raspberry wheat, recipe/pictures?

Soldato
Don't have the room or money for full mash brewing otherwise I'd be on it in a flash.
If I can ever find a job, I'll probably buy the stuff to do it and worry about where it can live another time.
I'm fine with making my fruit champagnes and cider though.

Soldato
My 8.5% cider is about 30p a pint.
The rhubarb champange which will be about 9% cost £3 for 40 pints. Same with our nettle & elderflower champagnes.
If you get one of the beer syrup things, then it's £10 for 40 pints.

It's never cheaper to go to the supermarket. Even if you are partial/full mash brewing then the quality of the beer you are making is superior to the product you could buy with the money you spend.

Associate
Finally bottled up my cheap wine made from fruit squash.
4768698200_d8901e9fc5.jpg

Got another 6 bottles of this, I think it's about 15%. It's no where near as bad as I thought it would be.

Man of Honour
Hey guys, anyone know what is best yeast and sugar for a clean taste?

I've heard liquid sugar (surly there a million different varieties of that, just like normal yeast)
And glucose or fructose

Any ideas or opinions.
It;s for making some old fashioned root beer, but to ale strength. Instead of the classic 0.4%

Soldato
I use Young's yeast for everything and it is fine. Produces strong alcoholic and doesn't leave any taste as far as I can tell.
I just use normal sugar in my booze. Sometimes I buy the unrefined stuff but generally it's just normal granulated sugar.

Associate
Anyone have any ideas for getting rid of the excess sediment from the bottom of my bottled lager. I always seem to have quite a bit of sediment every time I brew something up, when it gets disturbed it needs to be left for a while again to re-settle.:(

Soldato
Brewers, question.
I just found a 'Munstons IPA Bitter' kit at the back of my cupboard. Can't remember buying it!
Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on what I could add to make this a bit more flavoursome? I was thinking about throwing in a few ounces of hops and putting it in after 3 weeks when I rack it as I suspect it'll give it a nice new dimension, but welcome some other ideas.

Back
Top Bottom