Home server questions - unraid

Soldato
That looks alright. Can you post a screenshot of the nzbget web GUI for I think it is “paths” in the setting menu. That should be pointing to /data as the main directory.

Associate
To remove that error you need to go to 'settings' -> 'download clients' and there's a section down at the bottom named 'remote mappings'. You need to add a new entry with the host of nzbget (should be auto populated in a drop down box), the remote path (the one in your screenshot) and the final part is adding the directory that's local to the unraid file system where that download location corresponds to. Once added, the error should go and the processing should work as expected.

Soldato
In terms of power, I used a online power calculator and it estimates around 100w, and the CPU has a TDP of 65W.

Should I consider replacing/changing the kit, and if so, to what? Any thoughts on the power draw of the server? I intend to add it to my UPS, which also runs the NAS. Any other software to consider? Any thoughts on how to shuffle drives from the NAS to the Unraid without loosing anything? I have about 11TB currently.

Happy for any feedback/comments. Thanks for reading!

Definitely build your own UnRAID server, best thing I ever did!

As for power, as others mention, the online calculators are guessing.,.

I have a lot squeezed in my Server:

Main Array:
14TB 3.5" HDD
14TB 3.5" HDD
8TB 3.5" HDD
8TB 3.5" HDD
4TB 3.5" HDD

Cache:
500gb NVME
500gb NVME

Unassigned Disks
8TB 3.5" HDD
1TB 3.5" HDD
120Gb SSD
240GB SSD
128GB SSD

Nvidia 1660 Super
AMD Ryzen 3600 (6 core / 12 thread) (65W TDP)
Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING Mobo
32 GB RAM
HBA Card (loads of fast SATA connectors)
NZXT AIO Cooler

And running 17 Dockers and a VM currently active (including Plex)

And since I have a PSU with a USB that is supported by an UnRAID plugin:
zpJDMnR.png

Measuring this using a Smartthings socket it's reading 72W

with 7 x 3.5" HDDs / 3 x SSDs and 2 x NVME I imagine the actual CPU/Motherboard is not pulling that much!

Associate
I have an R520, dual E5-2407 dell server running 6 drives for my NAS / cctv duties at the moment. Unraid spins down the drives which I like. The display on the front of the server says it idles at about 70W ... which I cant really complaint about as I just want storage ... no transcoding etc.

Associate
Server power for Plex is entirely dependent on whether you are planning on transcoding, and if so, how many streams. Without transcoding, Plex could easily run on a medium sized baked potato :p

Either way, what you plan on using will work, but as mentioned, it's way over-specced, especially if you're not planning on transcoding. For long term usage going forward, I'd be aiming for something Xeon based with ECC RAM.

UnRaid is awesome though, here's what I'm running on mine....

unraid-dash.jpg
What storage do you have there and case are you using?

Associate
Lian Li PC-D600
Currently...
13 Data Drives which are all WD REDs, mixture of 3TB & 4TB.
4TB Parity Drive.
2x1TB 850 EVO SSDs for cache.

Case is a Lian Li PC-D600 with 3 IcyDock hotswap cages...
That's serious storage you have there.
The case seems to be from another era.

I'm new to UnRaid , haven't started with it yet, I'm just building a server machine.
You're using a 1TB SSD cache. How often do you "upload the cache to the hard drives" ( I'm probably not using the right term) and how do you generally use it daily ( the cache I mean)?
Two 1TB SSD drives are not cheap, getting close to a 10/12TB hard drive on a deal.

Soldato
In UnRaid terms "upload cache to hard drive" is called invoking the mover, although depending on settings this can incorporate moving from array to cache as well as uploading to the array.

This can be set on a per share basis (in terms of whether and how to use the cache) and tweaked overall in terms of either using timings and/or capacity thresholds.

Because the cache is most useful for write operations, and most of my storage is used for media, I only have the following use for the cache. Your own situation may vary
  • 'system' share set to use cache "prefer". This means to most intents and purposes it always stays on the cache and never to the array. There is a cache "only" option and I forget why I don't use that. This keeps the docker image and VMs always on the fastest storage I personally have and nice and snappy
  • Same for the 'domains' and 'appdata' Again, keeping these on cache and generally not causing the mover to upload to the array means snappier VMs and containers
  • Then the only other share I have that uses the cache is my downloads share. This uses the "use cache: yes" option. This stops my array spinning up and down as my downloads are chuntering away in the background. It also ensures SABnzb unpacks the files on the cache as well by default. These downloads then get uploaded. or moved in UnRaid parlance, to the array either when the cache gets near full or my scheduled move operation (once a day) takes place - whichever occurs first.
Note the difference between saying you prefer cache and saying yes to cache. The former will move things in both directions, preferring cache when possible. The latter will always attempt to write files to cache first and then move to the array according to conditions you set (mover timing and thresholds) but never back again.

If you're only running one cache disk and using "prefer" or "yes" to cache on some shares then it is important to remember that there's no redundancy, unlike the array (assuming you have parity). Therefore you want to be backing up your VM images and your appdata share periodically or else you'll lose your VMs and your docker containers if you lose your cache disk. The docker.img file is less important as if you've got the appdata backed up then you have the docker config and the image can be recreated quickly. To illustrate in my example, I could lose up to 24 hours worth of downloads.

I love @neodude 's server. My first UnRaid server, still running, was a big Fractal Define XL case stuffed with 3TB and 4TB disks over time. Instead of swapping for larger capacity as I ran out of room, and for other reasons, I decided to add a second UnRaid but the world moved on a bit since the first so it has a mitx board in a Fractal Node case with 16TB drives. It's only got three populated for 32TB usable but with capacity for three more, it's amazing how small you can go for what would amount to 80TB storage and it sips power never breaking a sweat! (I don't do Plex transcoding which would change the picture)

Soldato
I've only got 1 slot left on mine now. So I'm gonna start upgrading drives. Next purchase will be a 12TB or 16TB drive to replace the Parity drive, which I can then move to the last slot.

Permabanned
Nvidia 1660 Super
AMD Ryzen 3600 (6 core / 12 thread) (65W TDP)
Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING Mobo
32 GB RAM
HBA Card (loads of fast SATA connectors)
NZXT AIO Cooler

I notice you are running Ryzen, had any issues with it?

I think the 2700X I have in mine is faulty(its a few years old now) or the motherboard Crosshair VI X370, keeps generating cache errors, mostly when idle and now and again totally crashes. I have tried disabling c-states and appears to have helped slightly but still the odd error.

Will have a Ryzen 1600 to test shortly before deciding on replacing CPU or board(or both).

Soldato
I notice you are running Ryzen, had any issues with it?

I think the 2700X I have in mine is faulty(its a few years old now) or the motherboard Crosshair VI X370, keeps generating cache errors, mostly when idle and now and again totally crashes. I have tried disabling c-states and appears to have helped slightly but still the odd error.

Will have a Ryzen 1600 to test shortly before deciding on replacing CPU or board(or both).

It's absolutely flawless, I've never had to cycle the power due to an issue, more when I'm turning it off because of all the work we have had on the house, the longest uptime was over 6 months. I think the 3000 series and 450/470 chipsets are where the real stability came in IMO.

However, my old 2700x (repurposed in my sons gaming PC) was a little flaky in an X370 chipset motherboard, I upgraded that to an X470 motherboard and that resolved it for gaming, although overclocking it brought some slight random instability.

Permabanned
It's absolutely flawless, I've never had to cycle the power due to an issue, more when I'm turning it off because of all the work we have had on the house, the longest uptime was over 6 months. I think the 3000 series and 450/470 chipsets are where the real stability came in IMO.

However, my old 2700x (repurposed in my sons gaming PC) was a little flaky in an X370 chipset motherboard, I upgraded that to an X470 motherboard and that resolved it for gaming, although overclocking it brought some slight random instability.

Yea I think its just developed a fault, will probably upgrade my 3900X at some point and relegate that to the Unraid box with a new board. ta

Permabanned
Following on from my post above, Unraid server now running flawlessly on the aforementioned 2700X I thought was faulty. I upgraded to an X570 board(also to get 2.5gb nic, 2x M2 slots), I turned off a few suggested options(global c states, some power control), none of that worked, still errored/crashed.

Turns out it was the RAM, 4 sticks of 16gb 2400 CL16 RAM which was all Memtest stable. Seems 4 sticks of RAM are quite flaky on Ryzen 2nd gen running over 1866 speed, turned it down to 1866 from 2400(same timings) and no more errors.

Back
Top Bottom