Home server questions - unraid

Soldato
What's the benefit of having a dedicated GPU in an Unraid server?
I am starting with a Haswell i7 mITX , which allows either an extra HBA card or a dedicated GPU.

Either if you wish to dedicate it to a VM for gaming or something - i.e. your UnRaid becomes dual purpose as both a NAS and end computer - or if you don't have an intel integrated GPU and want to do an insane amount of Plex transcodes. To put it into context, I have at most three concurrent streams running off my Haswell i5 with transcoding down from 1080 to 720 (bandwidth reasons) and it never breaks a sweat. I'd even go as far to say that I'd take more care of media curation and multiple copies stored for native client play ahead of worrying about a GPU for Plex transcoding.

I suppose crypto mining as well if you wanted to do that on your UnRaid server.

Associate
I don't game, I have a main PC for what I do.

The server's purpose will be :
- local media storage
- local and remote backup
- some plex transcoding (haven't used plex transcoding yet)
- VM, unlikely, my main PC is powerful enough to handle that.

AMD is at a disadvantage since you can't have a lot of drives on an mITX setup, but maybe in a few years, I'll go AMD mATX ( the reason I didn't go from the start was I couldn't find a Node 804 cheap enough at the time, and now I'm too invested in the mITX build).

Hardware transcoding for Plex/emby/jellyfin and other things. Possibly some other uses.

Mine just had a Nvidia 710 gt as it's cheap and ryzen has no onboard.
How capable are Nvidia GPU's for transcoding?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Had I known what I now know, I might have gone that route instead of OEM. It'll do everything I got it for and I do very little real-time transcoding so a GPU isn't a must, but it turned out a bit louder than I'd hoped now that I've got a bunch of drives in there. Apparently, there's a software hack that may help with that. Still haven't actually put Unraid on it yet though (too busy!)

Permabanned
I don't game, I have a main PC for what I do.

The server's purpose will be :
- local media storage
- local and remote backup
- some plex transcoding (haven't used plex transcoding yet)
- VM, unlikely, my main PC is powerful enough to handle that.

AMD is at a disadvantage since you can't have a lot of drives on an mITX setup, but maybe in a few years, I'll go AMD mATX ( the reason I didn't go from the start was I couldn't find a Node 804 cheap enough at the time, and now I'm too invested in the mITX build).

How capable are Nvidia GPU's for transcoding?

Depends what you need to do. Have a Google , lots of info about which cards can handle what. Personally I don't need to transcode much, we don't use Plex that much and what we do use the 2700x can handle it. So I don't have a gpu for transcoding.

A 1050ti for example could handle several transcodes at once. A high end Nvidia card could do 20+....best to Google for info as never actually tried it. :)

Soldato
Depends what you need to do. Have a Google , lots of info about which cards can handle what. Personally I don't need to transcode much, we don't use Plex that much and what we do use the 2700x can handle it. So I don't have a gpu for transcoding.

A 1050ti for example could handle several transcodes at once. A high end Nvidia card could do 20+....best to Google for info as never actually tried it. :)

It's less to do with high end and more to do with RAM, but in all situations where you intend to transcode several concurrent streams, especially 4K (not a great idea) or any H265 (really not a good idea), iGPU is the more efficient option as stated on page one of this thread, as a really low end Celeron w/iGPU does 15+ H264 1080 transcodes.

Back
Top Bottom