Homepod vs Kef LSX II

Soldato
Anyone got first hand experience of how these compare to each other please? Struggling to find any direct comparisons between a stereo pair of homepods and a set of LSX's.

The homepods would be just over half the price, and from reading around would be more reliable over airplay. So crucially it comes down to how the sound would compare.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
There's not double the price difference on paper specs alone? I'd argue that the LSX could also be classed as "portable" speakers considering the comparative size / weight / build of them. I'm just curious how noticeable the sound difference would be for significant price uplift and whether this would outweigh the anciliary features that the Homepods offer.

Man of Honour
Anyone got first hand experience of how these compare to each other please? Struggling to find any direct comparisons between a stereo pair of homepods and a set of LSX's.

The homepods would be just over half the price, and from reading around would be more reliable over airplay. So crucially it comes down to how the sound would compare.

Thanks

You're struggling to find that A/B comparison because no review site considers them comparable products. If you're aware of cars, it would be like pitching the Skoda Karoq against the VW Golf R. Whilst both are available as 5-door hatch hatchbacks, and the price difference is inline with the Homepods/LSX II, the markets they're aimed at are very different.

The Golf R is the model above the GTI, and it's a driver's car. Yes, it seats four adults and has a modicum of boot space, and there's all the useful everyday driver's facilities such as SatNav, Cruise Control and the rest, but first and foremost is the engine and handling. By comparison, the Karoq is a good all-rounder as family transport goes. It's practical, easy to use, economical, all those things, but not a driver's car. So it is with the Homepods vs the LSX IIs. The Homepods have the advantage in all-round practicality if you have the Apple ecosystem. They do okay in most roles, and they do some things that the LSXs can't. The catch is that they'll never give you that wow with music that really good speakers can.

Neither system is perfect. Folk will complain that the £900 KEF speakers don't do deep bass. What they may be overlooking is that a 4.5" driver in a 10" tall cabinet can't do deep bass unless it's seriously over-egged. "But the Homepods do better bass." is the reply. Actually, they don't. The bass driver is smaller (4") but upwards firing and heavily influenced by the room measurement DSP. Working your way down the frequency range, by 100Hz the bass is starting to fall off, but you won't hear it that way. That's because the overall bass level is seriously over-egged. Then there's a hump in the bass response at roughly 80Hz which could be the port resonance. It's very much like the Bose sound when it comes to bass. Quantity over quality. The KEF is making cleaner bass, and a little deeper too, but less of it.

The midrange and treble from the Homepods is heavily processed too. Not just in room EQ terms, but also because the speaker splits the sound, directing voices forwards and instruments backwards to reflect off the side and front wall to make a bigger but more diffuse sound stage. (No, I don't know how it does this either. I think it must be magic.) Again though, this is very 'Bose'. It's a more sophisticated version of what Bose 901 speakers were doing back in the late '60s. They used the room boundaries to make a larger-than-life sound. KEFs approach is different.

With the KEFs, the sound is directed towards the listener, but the UniQ dual concentric drivers have unusually wide dispersion compared to a conventional tweeter/woofer configuration. This means with the KEF, the tweeter and woofer frequencies remain integrated over a much larger area, and so the KEFs have a huge sweet-spot. Their sound doesn't change much between you sitting and standing, nor if you sit well off axis. Where the Homepods are smudging the sound over a big area, the KEFs are painting in detail on a large canvas.

I'll be honest, the idea of spending almost a grand on a pair of speakers that more-or-less encompasses an entire music set-up of streamer, amp and conventional speakers is a bit hard for me to swallow. However, could I get the same performance from separates? A Wiim plus a conventional stereo amp or class D amp, but what speakers? The Q150s are £450 on their own.

I suppose it comes back to the car thing. Do you want cup holders, cubby holes and a flexible seating system, or do you want a smile on your face each time you walk towards he car with the key in your hand?

Last edited:
Soldato
You're struggling to find that A/B comparison because no review site considers them comparable products. If you're aware of cars, it would be like pitching the Skoda Karoq against the VW Golf R. Whilst both are available as 5-door hatch hatchbacks, and the price difference is inline with the Homepods/LSX II, the markets they're aimed at are very different.

The Golf R is the model above the GTI, and it's a driver's car. Yes, it seats four adults and has a modicum of boot space, and there's all the useful everyday driver's facilities such as SatNav, Cruise Control and the rest, but first and foremost is the engine and handling. By comparison, the Karoq is a good all-rounder as family transport goes. It's practical, easy to use, economical, all those things, but not a driver's car. So it is with the Homepods vs the LSX IIs. The Homepods have the advantage in all-round practicality if you have the Apple ecosystem. They do okay in most roles, and they do some things that the LSXs can't. The catch is that they'll never give you that wow with music that really good speakers can.

Neither system is perfect. Folk will complain that the £900 KEF speakers don't do deep bass. What they may be overlooking is that a 4.5" driver in a 10" tall cabinet can't do deep bass unless it's seriously over-egged. "But the Homepods do better bass." is the reply. Actually, they don't. The bass driver is smaller (4") but upwards firing and heavily influenced by the room measurement DSP. Working your way down the frequency range, by 100Hz the bass is starting to fall off, but you won't hear it that way. That's because the overall bass level is seriously over-egged. Then there's a hump in the bass response at roughly 80Hz which could be the port resonance. It's very much like the Bose sound when it comes to bass. Quantity over quality. The KEF is making cleaner bass, and a little deeper too, but less of it.

The midrange and treble from the Homepods is heavily processed too. Not just in room EQ terms, but also because the speaker splits the sound, directing voices forwards and instruments backwards to reflect off the side and front wall to make a bigger but more diffuse sound stage. (No, I don't know how it does this either. I think it must be magic.) Again though, this is very 'Bose'. It's a more sophisticated version of what Bose 901 speakers were doing back in the late '60s. They used the room boundaries to make a larger-than-life sound. KEFs approach is different.

With the KEFs, the sound is directed towards the listener, but the UniQ dual concentric drivers have unusually wide dispersion compared to a conventional tweeter/woofer configuration. This means with the KEF, the tweeter and woofer frequencies remain integrated over a much larger area, and so the KEFs have a huge sweet-spot. Their sound doesn't change much between you sitting and standing, nor if you sit well off axis. Where the Homepods are smudging the sound over a big area, the KEFs are painting in detail on a large canvas.

I'll be honest, the idea of spending almost a grand on a pair of speakers that more-or-less encompasses an entire music set-up of streamer, amp and conventional speakers is a bit hard for me to swallow. However, could I get the same performance from separates? A Wiim plus a conventional stereo amp or class D amp, but what speakers? The Q150s are £450 on their own.

I suppose it comes back to the car thing. Do you want cup holders, cubby holes and a flexible seating system, or do you want a smile on your face each time you walk towards he car with the key in your hand?

One option could be wiim amp. That's streamer and amp in one. Plus it has bass management. Who hll come in handy with KEF ls type speakers.

Read a few issues with KEF active spearkss red ring of death and playback issues. Sub is required with ls speakers also if running full range could damage the cones.

Need to go demo a few brands.

Man of Honour
One option could be wiim amp. That's streamer and amp in one. Plus it has bass management. Who hll come in handy with KEF ls type speakers.

Read a few issues with KEF active spearkss red ring of death and playback issues. Sub is required with ls speakers also if running full range could damage the cones.

Need to go demo a few brands.

Wiim could be an option, but the lack of direct access to Apple Music might be an issue for someone seriously considering the Homepods, unless it has been resolved.

Homepods are very Apple-centric, so a Homepod customer is likely to be closely tied into the Apple ecosystem.

Wiim's lack of direct support for iTunes might not be a deal breaker. It is possible to Airplay from an iOS phone to the Wiim. However, not everyone wants to do that.

On reliability, for as long as there has been Hi-Fi gear there have been reliability issues.

I was talking to someone about early '70s B&O. It might have been the Beomaster 6000. It was flashy, expensive, and sounded merely okay. IIRC, the equivalent price today would be close to £4K. The Lecson pre/power combo from the guys who would go on to form Meridian was equally futuristic. It sounded fantastic compared to the B&O, and was half the price. They had terrible reliability though.

Musical Fidelity in the '80s and '90s - or Musical Fatality as a few Hi-Fi dealer friends referred to them. The amp's would blow up before the protection fuses.

HDMI-era ARCAM AV receivers. They sound great when they're working, but it's kind of Russian Roulette each time they're switched on. The plain stereo amps though are solid, IME.

Stuff that relives heavily on software can be a mixed bag. Humax did a big revamp of their Freeview PVR when they brought out the FVP-4000. It was an utter dog. They tried loads of patches but it never nailed all the issues. They scrapped the model and rewrote the software from the ground up.

Soldato
Have you considered a pair of Sonos Era 300? For Spatial Audio they are supposed to be better than the HomePods with a similar feature set.

Very have the 300's for just under £400 each so around £200 more for a pair than the HomePods.

Soldato
Was he an expecting we'd say HomePods is better than the KEF LSX? The LSX is considered to be one of the best sounding portable self powered speakers for it's size, the HomePod is a HomePod, the name says enough

Man of Honour
No just haven’t put much more thought to it. Would like to compare but can’t see any real means to do so without ordering and sending back etc.
Order a pair of home pods. Arrange a demo at a KEF dealer. Take in the Apple speakers and do the A:B comparison. Let us know which you buy and why. :D

Soldato
Order a pair of home pods. Arrange a demo at a KEF dealer. Take in the Apple speakers and do the A:B comparison. Let us know which you buy and why. :D

What sounds better meridian dsp 8000, or Bose jewel in a bathtub of water so the port is half submerged in water and acting like a jetski waterjet?

Man of Honour
What sounds better meridian dsp 8000, or Bose jewel in a bathtub of water so the port is half submerged in water and acting like a jetski waterjet?
You might be dismissive, but for @pioneer2000 it's an important question. There are folk who live quite happily with stuff such as smart speakers, just as there are folk who treat their £300 sound bar as the main music system, and before that it was the £300 DVD/Blu-ray surround system, and before that the mini or micro shelf system.

To the credit of @pioneer2000 he's asked the question whether it's worth spending more than the Homepod cost. That's a very reasonable thing to do. It's not answered online because the KEF speakers are in a completely different league, but until he has heard them vs the Homepods then it's not something he can easily imagine.

We all start our audio journeys somewhere. As we progress, it's hoped that we hear better gear and appreciate what it can do extra. Everyone has a limit though. @pioneer2000 is simply searching for his next step up. We've all been there, even you. You might want to consider holding off on the disparaging remarks.

Soldato
Yeah nothing wrong with portable speakers I heard JBL tube thing with the lights. pretty good sound.

Also have Logitech squeezebox radio pretty good sound for the £25 I paid haha ...and with my 20,000 albums at hand better than any portable radio haha

Last edited:
Associate
I’m also considering pair of homepods 2 as speakers for my TV to use with my apple tv mainly to watch shows and movies. Atm I’m using 2.1 system with two active speakers plus kef sub. All good for music but on movies and tv shows the dialogue in some cases gets muffled. Apparently two homepods in stereo are quite something if it comes to spatial audio and dolby atmos. Anyone here running two with apple tv?

Soldato
The dialogue sounds bad because you don't have a center channel. Nothing will fix that apart from getting a center channel; changing from one stereo system to another stereo system will not fix it

Back
Top Bottom