Honeymoon Help

Associate
Alright people, so day has come and after all the "dont get married" i obviously have not listened haha. I will go back in time later and tell myself that

So looking at either bali, maldives or seychelles

Now i dont mind grafting and finding everthing seperatly as most places will just rip you off soon as you say honeymoon, but anyone got any link or input on the above places etc..

thanks in advance

Soldato
Just book it as a holiday and don't use the word honeymoon until you check in - most places will comp you a bottle of fizz.

Maldives stunning, went there twice a long time ago. Can't comment on the others.

Soldato
Similar to above been to Maldives twice but long ago when it was more basic. I paid extra the second time to go scheduled flights and not suffer the sardines of the charter flight.

Associate
We went to Borneo in 2019 for 10 nights and it was amazing.

We spend 3 nights in Sabah which is a modern town with all the bells and whistles. From there we went to Sandakan and visited the orangutan and sun bear sanctuary, then spent 3 nights in Kinabatangan wildlife sanctuary in the jungle, then after that spent the rest of the holiday at Gaya Island.

We booked it all through an agent online called Tropical Sky and they do all sorts of these holidays.

It was all organized with tours all we had to do was get to the airport.

Soldato
I imagine Maldives and Seychelles are the same. You are a captive audience on an island only accessible by boat or sea plane. You will get mugged off no matter what. It is totally worth it though. I did Conrad Rengali island and it was unforgettable.

Soldato
I got married last Saturday and for my honeymoon we’ve just had a few days in Glasgow and Edinburgh and later in the year we’ll have a few weeks in Thailand , maybe Bali too

my wife is from Thailand and has been to Bali , she loved it there but as you say if you mention honeymoon youll get stung

Associate
Bali was a place I always wanted to go to - and they have some stunning hotels. (if you ignore the fact you have to walk through a metal detector to get to reception and they check all incoming cars for bombs !)

However it was a huge let own. Basically one big tourist trap, the roads clogged with little white mini vans carting tourists from one "craft village" stop to the next. Everyone has their hand out. Stop at the side of the road to see the rice terraces - "oh you need to pay this gentleman here if you want to see the view" etc etc etc

No doubt it was a beautiful place to visit 30 years ago but I was surprised at how built up it is now.

Avoid imho unless you like drunk Austrailian backpackers.

Soldato
We did initially look at the Maldives but reading what there is to do and everything really put us off and we realised it's just not the sort of holiday we like.
So we ended up going to Crete in one of the best hotels, no rip of honeymoon package, the opposite in fact, you got free champagne on arrival, and a a table in their restaurant, which itself is normally £100 each.
One of those places where the table is yours for the whole night and you have like 7 courses each with paired wine, everyone's plate comes out and touches the table at the same time, it was a great dining experience.

Each morning breakfast had a different theme, the champagne breakfast was especially good we kept going up for more glasses and in the end the matra d, just started bringing is bottles, restaurant had shut and were were just there with the matre d continuing to look after is until we'd had enough.
It's without a doubt the best hotel we've ever been in, absolutely nothing too much for them.

We also walked Samariá Gorge which was without a doubt the most physical draining thing I've ever done.

But in the end we were so glad we didn't do the typical honeymoon holiday and actually went somewhere we enjoyed and can't wait to return.

Soldato
Do you like the water? Snorkeling, diving, watersports etc? If not, then I'd say the Maldives is a waste of money.

It's absolutely stunning, but if you don't enjoy the water then then you could find sun and a nicer hotel somewhere else.

I've been twice. First was a budget trip to Embudu Village. Second time was to Kuramathi for our honeymoon. The second the kids are old enough to to enjoy it, or to be left alone for 2 weeks, we're going straight back.

Soldato
We recently went on honeymoon to Iceland. Altho its a completly different trip we told the hotel about honeymoon etc and were comped some fiz, we pre booked restaurants also as wanted to do our research before getting there, also mentioned honeymoon and got free deserts/fiz or free champers etc.

From my experience its worth mentioning that its your honeymoon and i would also recommend iceland to anyone, fantastic place.

Caporegime
We recently went on honeymoon to Iceland. Altho its a completly different trip we told the hotel about honeymoon etc and were comped some fiz, we pre booked restaurants also as wanted to do our research before getting there, also mentioned honeymoon and got free deserts/fiz or free champers etc.

From my experience its worth mentioning that its your honeymoon and i would also recommend iceland to anyone, fantastic place.
Whilst hilariously and diametrically opposed to the places the OP mentioned, this guy knows what's up and you should go to Iceland. Bring your Amex Centurion Black card though because you will need it.

Back
Top Bottom