1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hong Kong holiday

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bingham67, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Azza

Caporegime

Planning on going in the summer and I've got the Intercontinental booked at the moment, mainly for that exact view!

2. pimper

Hitman

Hehe! thanks for the info dude! :D I've been going to Hong Kong on and off since 95 :p I've been to the peak on the tram and the bus but never a taxi, just wondered if there was any real benefit to it. I know now that the queue for the tram going up is insane so I just get the bus, then tram back down. A fiver is nice and cheap indeed! I might consider that when I'm back in March.

3. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

Oh, ha! Then you know the area well.

I've been up to the Peak over half a dozen times and I think I took the Tram twice? max. It's the old traditional way up and it is quite fun for once, the gradient of it is a novelty. Last October when I was there the Tram was actually out of service so the buses were PACKED. We ended up getting a taxi up and down.

4. pimper

Hitman

Snapped a pic of HK island and Kowloon from Ludgard Road on my first day! unfortunately when I went my first day there was the only sunny day :(

[​IMG]

5. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I have one in the dark. Click to enlarge.

[​IMG]

6. pimper

Hitman

Fairly well ;) maybe not as well as the locals though, but I could definitely get around without needing the pester the locals!

7. pimper

Hitman

Holy hell thats nice! never been up there at night! will make it a priority this time around! What gear do you use?

[​IMG]

8. Raymond Lin

Capo Crimine

I've used Canon 5D2, 5D3, 5D4 and a Sony A7. It depends what camera I have at that time but they all are equally competent.

I always try to get to the Peak at sundown so that way I get to see sun set and then in the dark. It looks best in the dark IMO, slowly the lights comes on and you can see the city come alive slowly.

9. SpartaK

Mobster

That vantage point at the peak across the side is really awesome, makes you wonder why go through the trouble of being in a crowded area across the other side!

We went up to the peak 2 days after the storm hit HK so the path was a bit more challenging as there were trees blocking the path, crazy stuff really.

Anyways here is my poor attempt at a night shot with my noob camera skills:

[​IMG]

I tried to get a hyperlapse on my phone from the sky terrace tower (we had tickets for this as we bought the Klook VIP fastrack for the tram and was a package deal + sky terrace access)

Even though I was at the front it was near impossible to keep the phone stable for 30 minutes even on the rail, next time I'm feeling a 5/6am visit to catch the sunrise, hopefully it won't be too busy then!

10. Shadowness

Mobster

We spent 10 days or so in HK over Christmas and NYE. Amazing atmosphere there, although it was weird walking around on Christmas day in shorts and t-shirt!

Few tips from me having been there on holiday and dozens of times on business......

- head out to the nearby islands. Lamma island is nice to walk around on (no cars allowed on it). Easy to get ferries to and from
    - as above with the peak. Don't bother with the sky terrace. Walk along the path to the side for a much better (and free!) view.
    - lots and lots of good local places to eat, great quality food for not much money too. You can spend a lot in some restaurants, but most days you probably won't want/need to.
    - the city is amazing from a photography point of view. Mong Kok is great at night, with the remaining neon street lights, make the most of it, as there's less of them every year.

Here's a couple of posts from me with plenty of photos if you're interested :)

Digital - http://www.danfreemanphoto.com/blog/2017/11/hong-kong?rq=hong kong

Film - http://www.danfreemanphoto.com/blog/2018/8/my-longest-trip-yethong-kong?rq=hong kong

More film - http://www.danfreemanphoto.com/blog/2017/12/hong-kong-on-film?rq=hong kong

11. SpartaK

Mobster

Great images there mate, yours and @Raymond Lin photos really capture the vibe and essence of HK really well.