Honour the dead in a wedding speech?

I don't think its good taste personally.

A wedding is an occasion to celebrate, not to mourn the loss of the loved ones. That's what a wake is for.

It's not mourning, it's usually a quick note when they're doing the thanks for traveling from Australia, sorry x couldn't be with us due to work/illness etc or what ever. And a I'm sure xx would have loved to have seen this happen type thing.

We are really going off on a tangent here. 'cos this is about weddings, can we stop this sin and get back on topic please?

Saying "This is about weddings" to me is sort of like saying "This is about dogs in handbags

No way I can take it seriously.

Except for the free bar, I like that bit!

I think this is fine to do and will definitely give a brief mention to one of my friends who passed away last year in my wedding speech.

Absolutely nothing wrong with it if kept brief and respectful, for example a quick "I know xxxx and xxxx will be so happy looking down on these two right now" etc.

That's not mourning, it's paying respect -- and keeping it quick and upbeat in its delivery will stave off any negative feelings. It's all in the delivery.

When did even mentioning the dead become an entirely negative/mournful thing to do? Don't we celebrate life anymore, or leave room for fondness?

Being a wedding photographer, I've heard people say things along the lines of

"and I know ***** and **** will be looking down today and would be so proud and it's a great shame they couldn't be with us today".

Last week's wedding the groom's mum had passed away and he actually read out a part of a letter that she wrote before she left in the lines of " I am sorry i won't be there for your wedding day ".

Yes it was sad but it meant something to him so it was right. I think it is fine, and then obviously you can do a toast to "absent friends and family".

As long as you don't linger and move on to something more cheerful, it'll be the right thing to do.

Back
Top Bottom