Horizon Zero Dawn

Soldato
OP
I hope it’s the first of many. Infamous Second Son really needs extra resolution and FPS.

That would be great as well. It's not as good of a game, but I think my opinion of that is again coloured by how awful it is to be low fov + gamepad controls for a fast-paced TPS. The guy did say there's more PS4 exclusives coming to PC though, but I guess we won't find out any time soon.

HZD was the only one I really wanted, but I'd say Bloodborne as a 2nd would be great and I'd need no others.

Soldato
OP
Beautiful. This summer H:ZD & Death Stranding is gonna keep me busy. Can't wait to see some maxed out 8K screenshots as well, maybe they'll add Ansel support. :D

Soldato
OP
Is it that good?

How does it compare to The Witcher Wild Hunt?

Compared to TW3 it's mediocre, but how many open world games can hold a candle to TW3? I mean in its totality. I struggle to think of any. KCD reaches some heady heights but it's clear it hasn't reached its goal (let's hope 2 does it) while TW3 does pretty much everything it wanted to do & then some. True, some gameplay aspects aren't great in TW3 but everything else is 10/10 and then even that gameplay can be modified enough such that it is great too, though that takes a bit of work (Ghost Mode etc). And even for vanilla, it got a lot better progression wise in the expansions, but it's clear the main game just progressed too fast & had too much content for how it was tuned.

If you've played Assassin's Creed Odyssey it's kinda like that a lot more than TW3, though still a bit more watered down. Don't get me wrong, it's a fun game & a visual treat but it's not a great game by any stretch. Still, very enjoyable if you are into open world games.

Soldato
OP
I don't agree with TW3 being particularly better the HZD... I was hugely disappointed by the Witcher 3, I don't think it was anywhere near as great a masterpiece of a game as a lot of people make it out to be.
To me the story was unbelievably dull, the combat was so basic that there was no challenge to the game and the despite the massive size of the world it just felt like the entire thing was just a copy-paste as it was pretty much the same thing almost everywhere you looked. For me the main story was so bad that it took me about 4 years of stopping and starting to force myself to play beyond the Skellige segment.

I think a lot of people would agree that the main story isn't the strongest, but it serves as a nice guide throughout the game. The real strength in the writing is in the side content & how it all fits together. It's how it helps define & make the world alive that makes it so good, in the context of an open world and how that aids immersion. So if you play it more from a 'experience the game as a linear-game following the main quest' angle, then I'd understand why you don't feel as strongly about it. It's just not that game & not how it's best enjoyed.

I'd still easily put it above HZD writing-wise, for dialogue alone if nothing else.

Soldato
OP
LOL, that explains your post in the Xbox thread. But still, modders will find a way to alter the FOV, I'm sure.

Yeah, I'm not entirely pessimistic but it ****** me off. Usually these things aren't hard to hack in. Either way, no fov increase no buy. Sold off the console because of this ****.

Soldato
OP
ss_d09106060fb7de8bf342c23df18b14debc8a15a3.jpg

ss_9db45aa04e8c8b5043b479f42ed36296bfc3a918.jpg

ss_f7cf51f1ccd909264f2c5814f328e3f72e7b62bd.jpg

ss_271f850eec3f96b22aa17be35b948268e0771c7f.jpg

ss_15f5759c441e4e5f51e1a8ee333e4ab9df9aa783.jpg

Promising performance numbers as well. 1080p 60fps for an rx 580 at medium settings, not bad. My only wish is that they would've had some LOD modifiers also but I can live without it.

Soldato
OP
It is expensive, but it’s also a very solId controller that will last a longtIme.

The opposite actually. It has a very short warranty and pitiful QA, and likely due to the fact that it's a lower volume product (hence production isn't as figured out) it's actually less reliable than the standard One gamepad. The internet abounds with elite horror stories. For the money it's a pathetic product, but I guess people who really want the extras have to put up with it.

Soldato
OP
RPS is an awful site & they're tech illiterate.

Pathetic showing on GG's part tho. This port is a MESS! They're making even the ACs look good on performance - insane! And DX12 on top, even less of an excuse for what they're showing.

Soldato
OP
apparently 4K is a bit broken and a patch is incoming.

The patch (>35GB) already arrived, it's still ****. They have a lot of work to do on this one and it clearly won't happen by release day.

Doesnt seem like too bad an article, to quote him "Interestingly, as long as you have a sufficient number of cores, even a lowly 2 GHz clock speed is sufficient to run the game at an average of 75 FPS, with the lowest drops still remaining above 40." , that seems ok, I'm happy with 75fps as an average.

Yes, but what's missing in there compared to PCGH & Computerbase? :)

Soldato
OP
Gits. Can't get fibre where I am, think the local fibre company suggested 9 months. Thing is, we're on the end of a road, and the little bit we're on is technically a private road, so I don't know if they'll come down to us.

Reminds me of my time in Southampton. Where I was staying I was lucky to get 2 Mbps with Sky, but just across the street you could have Virgin at >200 Mbps. So close and yet so far. :D

Soldato
OP
Guess I remembered this game as being better than it is, feels much more like a discount ACreed game the 2nd time around. In terms of rendering the game looks kinda meh, even at 4K. For whatever reason the TAA suffers some severe ghosting issues, and I'm not sure if I never noticed it on the Pro or if they were doing something else (besides it also being CB'ed). Some serious fps drops during rains as well, that can really trip up an otherwise locked setup.

Overall mediocre, and the technical issues don't make me want to put up with it for longer.

GG Sony.

xbrvzUW.jpg.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom