Hot Water Bottle burst over me :(

Caporegime
OP
Ouch.

You shouldn't use boiling water when filling a hot water bottle, for exactly this reason.

Do you only fill 2/3 with water and squeeze the air out before putting the cap on too? If you don't the air expands giving the insides positive pressure.

Ever since I was 15 years old I've always filled hot water bottles in the same way, and have always let the air out. So it goes to show this one was faulty, you can see the split which isn't at the top :(

I would agree with you if I'd just filled it to the brim

Soldato
I did this when drunk years ago, had a large pot of boiling water on the stove ready to cook noodles in. Leant on the pot too much as I was drunkenly swaying around. The pot spilled all the boiling water down my leg. The top of my bare right foot was a single big blister. Nurses loved popping it!

So yea, know the pain, and this is not a speedy recovery either, weeks of scabs and scab splits ahead with pus and all sorts.

Nasty wound, burns.

Caporegime
Oh man that looks terrible!

Years ago I knocked a frying pan full of burning oil over my hand, that burnt for days, I stupidly didn't go to the hopital or anything. Luckily I didn't get any scars or anything!

Associate
Ouch.

You shouldn't use boiling water when filling a hot water bottle, for exactly this reason.

Do you only fill 2/3 with water and squeeze the air out before putting the cap on too? If you don't the air expands giving the insides positive pressure.

I do this too and from memory our hot water bottle also has a 'do not fill with boiling water' printed on the neck.

Soldato
I would love to, but I was recommended not to in this situation, especially as some of the nerve endings are still in the broken skin

1321024008464.jpg

Soldato
i heard cold water is bad for burns?

it should be warm water as the change in temp makes the blisters worse?

old wives tale?

Soldato
i heard cold water is bad for burns?

it should be warm water as the change in temp makes the blisters worse?

old wives tale?

I believe it's meant to be cool water and at a temperature where you can keep your hand underneath it. Cold water isn't going to be great because you'll only be able to put your hand under cold water for about a minute or so until it becomes too uncomfortable.

Soldato
Never put boiling water in a hot water bottle. Either stop the kettle before it boils or let the water cool first.

That looks very nasty OP, be careful to keep it clean and dry.

Back
Top Bottom