House - Historic Movement

Soldato
Similarly, damp proof courses very rarely fail - it’s the blocking of air bricks, raised ground levels, bridging and condensation that are the usual culprits - all of which are caused by people not treating their homes in the correct manner.

The amount of houses in London that are filled with people and then their gardens concreted over is endemic. It’s hilarious - turn up with their concrete, poor it all over everything and then watch the fun and games begin - the houses become wetter than a mermaids brassiere (thank you black adder)
If my circa 1825 flat in a Chapel conversion is anything to go by, older properties can suffer badly with condensation related issues. I've just installed a ventilation system to help resolve issues I have when letting it. Letting agent moans about the damp but strangely when it's empty the walls are fine.Left it empty for a while now and even during winter - no damp issues.
Personally will steer clear of old properties. Last time I did a remortgage the surveyor said the walls were off the scales with dampness readings. When we get the building inspected by an expert in old buildings they say it's not an issue, the walls in older buildings breath and can absorb then release moisture. Dreading selling it as any buyer will likely panic when they hear "off the scales" when a non-expert sticks their prongs into the walls :D.

Soldato
If my circa 1825 flat in a Chapel conversion is anything to go by, older properties can suffer badly with condensation related issues. I've just installed a ventilation system to help resolve issues I have when letting it. Letting agent moans about the damp but strangely when it's empty the walls are fine.Left it empty for a while now and even during winter - no damp issues.
Personally will steer clear of old properties. Last time I did a remortgage the surveyor said the walls were off the scales with dampness readings. When we get the building inspected by an expert in old buildings they say it's not an issue, the walls in older buildings breath and can absorb then release moisture. Dreading selling it as any buyer will likely panic when they hear "off the scales" when a non-expert sticks their prongs into the walls :D.

Funnily enough that was my concern when we had a damp patch appear in the rear bedroom on our semi detached house. As the whole rear has been rendered over and painted, I think it could be concrete etc. Some property owners are carrying out the wrong types of repairs because it's 'cheaper'

Back
Top Bottom